Best place to buy heartworm & flea control?

shootist

Best place to buy heartworm & flea control?

Post by shootist » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:23 pm

Where do you guys get your heartworm and flea control? I need to get Cash some more.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:18 pm

Heartworm comes from the vet (Heartguard), and flea control comes from the local feed store (Frontline Plus). You can use Ivomec as heartworm control, but I'm not sure where to pick that up over the counter. The only place I've got either Heartguard or Ivomec was from my vet with prescription.

If my local feed store didn't have Frontline Plus so reasonably priced, I'd probably go through an internet supply store like KV Vet ( http://www.kvvet.com )
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:19 pm

For Heartworm prevention you can save quite a bit by using Ivomec. It is sold as a dewormer for cattle and swine, but contains the same main ingredient as Heartguard. It's given orally 1/10th of 1 cc per 10 lbs of bodyweight, or if your like me I inject it into a hot dog. :lol: Many breeders and trialers use it. One bottle lasts several years. It normally can be purchased at a local farm store or if you prefer online.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

Dillier23

Post by Dillier23 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:22 am

I've got a feed store, I sell frontline plus cheaper than 1-800-petmeds or Rural King. If you would like me to send you some it will still be cheaper than both of those places. $ 36.95 + tax and it's yours. 3 month supply.

gdog

Post by gdog » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:46 pm

I found that the local humane society (dog pound) here in Salt Lake has a clinic. Their prices on shots and heartworm medicine is much lower then my normal vet.

I would see if they do the same in your area...

HUTCH

Post by HUTCH » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:44 am

I have ordered the ivomec and started using bio spot for fleas and ticks to save some money. bio spot has worked really well no ticks or fleas on the dogs and we have alot of ticks around the area. I ordered it from Dr fosters and smith.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:55 pm

Is $45.00 for 50ml a good price on the Ivomec?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:35 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:Is $45.00 for 50ml a good price on the Ivomec?
www.JeffersLivestock.com

How about $25.95 instead?

Best,