Pup got the runs

ekoog82

Pup got the runs

Post by ekoog82 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Had to switch feeds for my dog as the Annamet was becoming a slight hassle and non cost efficient. Decided to switch to diamond extreme athlete as it seemed to be similar to the Annamet. My 1 year old seems to be doing ok and actually has less stool. My 9 month old seems to be having a harder time with it. She has te runs and is going I. Her crate which is not something she does. Any thoughts on what I should do about her runs? She gets 1 cup twice daily.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup got the runs

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Cut way back till the stool firms up and then start a slow gradual increase till you get back to what you are feeding or the stool starts to get too loose again. If it starts back off slightly and feed that amount. Then wait to see what her condition is doing in a couple of weeks.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Ezzy how much do you think I should try? I want to make sure she is getting enough food but she is going almost every hour in her crate so were trying to stay ahead of it now.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:04 pm

She isn't gpong to starve in the next month or two.Skip a days feeding if you need to or at least one feeding. Just do what works and don't worry about if she is getting enough or not. We can adjust that after you get her stool solid and she is ready to eat.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:11 pm

I couldn't feed it straight gave my dog the runs also. I was mixing it with another feed. Didn't take long to decide that was a pain. Then I switched completely and don't have a problem anymore.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:16 pm

I wouldn't feed Extreme Athlete either to a pup or any dog that is not being worked hard everyday or so. I like the Premium or the High Energy.

Ezzy

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Thats the same problem I was having with EA...I switched to the Annamaet Ultra and her stool has been good since. It is a bit of a hassle to get.

-John

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:30 am

I would switch to Diamond Naturals Chicken Rice formula for your pup. Much easier on the digestive system.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:58 am

ezzy333 wrote:I wouldn't feed Extreme Athlete either to a pup or any dog that is not being worked hard everyday or so. I like the Premium or the High Energy.

Ezzy
My last pup who is now 18 months is on EA from 7 weeks, worked great just have to diligently control the amount fed. I also let the dogs skip a day every week or two.......now i probably wouldn't feed it to a lab pup but the pointer was fine and no crazy growth issues.

Now a days i still feed EA but alot of times i mix (on light work schedules) diamond Naturals CHix and rice.....also by feeding a mix on light work times it gives me a backup in case i can't get one or the other for whatever reason. The chix and rice is also slightly cheaper and saves me a few bucks a month.

My main go to dog for guiding is a bit of a hard keeper and EA is the ONLY feed I have found where i can put weight on him at will.....its really made his weight and energy very consistent.

I guess it may be true that most folks dogs don't get worked hard enough or regularly enough to make the EA more useful....my season starts late August and I will guide thru the end of march so its a long grind for my dogs.....

The Naturals Chix and Rice is a great feed and only costs me 28/ 40 lbs here at home.....it was more expensive in the upper midwest this year when i was out there.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:12 pm

yeah, im going to prob get some of the natural chicken mix. I had to do the extreme because my male is a hard keeper with anything else. THanks for the info and Ill keep you posted, she still has the runs today so well see how it goes over the next few days.