Brushing Teeth

Benny

Brushing Teeth

Post by Benny » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:01 pm

How many folks brush their dogs teeth?
I've never done it, but I'm starting to see the results of never doing it and I'm concerned about paying the price down the road. Turns out all those well advertised denta-bones and other chewies are bologna.

Any tips or techniques would be very helpful
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Gertie

Re: Brushing Teeth

Post by Gertie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:06 pm

I brushed my lab's teeth and plan to brush my current pup's teeth when she gets them all in. I tried to do it twice a week. It's no big deal once they get used to it and it'll save the dog a lot of problems when they get old and save you money down the road on cleanings. I like the brush that goes over the finger, it seems to be a little easier to manage than the handle kind. Also, my vet sells Virbac enzymatic chews that she says work well. The jury is still out on that one but it might be worth a shot.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:15 pm

I brush 3 dogs , twice a week each. Takes 5 minutes. All you need is a $600.00 dental bill to be a believer.

Some use tripe.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:33 pm

I have never done it and have read that it does no good. On the surface is makes sense but I really do wonder what you accomplish.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 pm

I also, have never done it and have never had a need for it. I have no argument with the ones who do though. I think maybe it makes a difference if a dog eats a lot of table scraps and/or moistened or soft food. JMO

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:09 pm

It keeps the plaque/tartar from building up and leading to infected gums just like people. Especially as a dog gets older ,long term brushing has really helped. . Surely some have had an older dog with terrible breath, yellow encrusted teeth , loose teeth . $600. at the vet for repair. No need for that if you brush from an early age. jmo

Petrodex Enzymatic toothpaste

PS Dental problems often go unannounce as few people check their dogs teeth. My old Jack Russell - 13 ( never brushed), just had 4 teeth removed at his bottom front. Been on kibble and marrow bones his whole life.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

windswept

Post by windswept » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:00 pm

I guess the unanswered question would be could you avoid all of the late life dental problems by brushing. I have had many dogs that never really experienced much trouble with teeth anyway and I never brush the dog's teeth. I figure the dog only lives 10 - 15 years and the teeth should last that long and then some. I brush my teeth because I'm hoping they'll last several decades!

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Well there's some good points made. I'd be interested to know what folks are using for toothpaste?

I'm thinking even though I've had my teeth for quite some time, I know folks that are my age that don't have that great of teeth. I think Emma might fall in the category of dogs that don't have the greatest God given teeth. I've never once served her table scraps (unless you count pouring bacon grease on her food once a week as a present), but she seems to gather more buildup than I'm comfortable with so I'd like to take a stab at the brushing deal.

I'm sure other dogs keep their pearly whites all their lives, though. Mine is not that dog :lol:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

sully511

Post by sully511 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:03 pm

I don't brush my dog's teeth. I just give an occasional raw meaty beef bone, like a knuckle bone for example. I get them from the butcher for fairly cheap. It's an outside only treat, so it's not a wintertime treat, but they will lay outside and chew on them for an hour or so and when I pick them up their teeth are pearly white again.

Some people I know that do brush the dog's teeth don't use a toothbrush, they use gauze. It works well, gets some gunk off every time. As far as the toothpaste, make sure it is an enzymatic kind that will help break down the tartar. You can also get a dental scaler and scale off the tartar the dog has now, then start brushing after that. It takes a long time with just brushing to get rid of tartar.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:49 am

Three dogs, two chew bones. This way they're always in competition and stealing a bone from each other. Once they get the bone they chew vigorously to keep away from the others. Get distracted and turn away, and bone is gone. Now the new chewer is getting a good tooth and jaw workout. Kind of a keep away game. Of course, even if they have 5 bones in plain view, they only want what the other one has.

Please note, this only works if your dogs don't have fights over such things. Mine don't.

My oldest dog always had access to nylabones and chew toys but was never much of a chewer until we acquired a second dog that chewed vigorously. Once she saw him leave a bone, she would grab it and start chewing. Now that we have a third who is also a vigorous chewer, the older dog has become even more interested in chew bones. Here teeth are much cleaner now due to chewing on nylabones every day.

Benny

Post by Benny » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Interesting...although I probably won't get two more GSP's just to keep one's teeth healthy :lol:

I will try the nylabones again though. I wish they were more luring for Emma but in the past she seems to snub them. I don't blame her, who would want to eat that thing?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:40 pm

I give raw chicken necks or backs once or twice a week which helps keep their teeth clean. They also have nylabones & deer antlers to chew on.
The few times I have shown dogs I'll scrape off any tartar if needed. It usually pops off pretty easy, the hardest part is teaching them to be still.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:59 pm

I've never brushed any of my dogs teeth but do regularly give milkbones and every other month a big raw knuckle. I've never heard any complaints from the vet.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Bacon nylabones work the best.

My dog plays the keep away game with the yorkie ... There's usually growling (yorkie) and jumping (kimber) and they usually kiss and make up when they ate done.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 am

I brush my dogs teethabout every other week or so... now the real question is...

"Who all loves their dog enough to use their own toothbrush to do it with??? :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:10 am

Oooooh Bacon Nyla-Bones? That sounds like a winner for my dog!
SHORTFAT wrote:I brush my dogs teethabout every other week or so... now the real question is...

"Who all loves their dog enough to use their own toothbrush to do it with??? :mrgreen:
No dude...I'm not letting my sonicare toothbrush into that rancid saliva trap :lol:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:43 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:I brush my dogs teethabout every other week or so... now the real question is...

wait a minute.........
were not supposed to use the same brush ?

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:27 pm

I switch off and use my mother-in-laws when she visits... :mrgreen: The dog responds well to the softer bristles... :lol: I laughed as l watched a friend let his dog lick out the last of the ice cream from his bowl during the footbal game the other night... he forgot and about 15 mins later came back in with another couple of scoops in the same bowl... :twisted: I waited till he was done to ask if he ever shares the spoon too... his wife howled! :lol:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:14 pm

No shared brushes, but i accidently used the doggie toothpaste once :( .

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:32 am

Natures Tooth brush, no plaque no calculus,...... bones plus occasional big chunks of meat they have to chew bits off.

..................tasi
i'm from under down under

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Now there's a happy ol' pup... :D
- Mark Twain.
-Abraham Lincoln

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Down under guy...your dog eats better than I do!

Well I've started brushing Emma's pearly yellows and I'm seeing some results, as for some of the brown spots around the mollars it may come to an expensive dental visit in the future. I can't seem to get any headway on those :x
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:00 pm

I use Proden Plaque And 1-2 raw turkey necks a week and they shine has brand new teeth... You just have to brush the big Canines with a non abrasive pad like 3M once in a while to get the stuff off those teeth...
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Benny wrote:Down under guy...your dog eats better than I do!

Well I've started brushing Emma's pearly yellows and I'm seeing some results, as for some of the brown spots around the mollars it may come to an expensive dental visit in the future. I can't seem to get any headway on those :x

Sure it's not just pigment color?

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:55 am

Sharon wrote: Sure it's not just pigment color?
Sharon, I honestly wouldn't know the difference. Could you explain?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:13 am

Most dogs have some black pigment (skin color spots). They can be on their belly , around their genitalia, on their nose or on their gums. It is perfectly normal and should be of no concern.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:19 am

Benny you go to Oregon State, not University of Oregon. Stop being such a hippie and get your dog a beef knuckle!!!!

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:10 pm

I do stuff like that in the summer when the dog likes laying out on the grass and nibbling, but she's a house dog and the old lady would kill me if she saw a beef knuckle laying on the carpet. She went to U of O :D

*And Sharon, I don't believe it's what you're describing. I will try to get a picture, but it's just brown on the teeth, the gums actually look quite healthy. It's only around her back molars, near the gumline though for sure. It's definitely a discolored build-up in my unprofessional opinion.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

natsuto

Post by natsuto » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:32 pm

They also antler chew nylabones.If needed. It usually bring up is very simple, the hardest part is to teach them still.