Matted Fur

reevesg

Matted Fur

Post by reevesg » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:49 pm

My Springer has some matted fur behind her ears. I have been slowly cutting them out with a small pair of scissors but its taking forever and the only way that I can distract her long enough is to give her a nylabone.

I have some clippers but I am sure that the noise is going to make her crazy.

Shall I keep trying or just take her to a professional groomer to have it taken care of?

Gareth

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:05 am

how bad is it? have you tried a spray in conditioner (no more tangles is the kid's brand and pantene makes one for adults) or just real "people" conditioner(any brand would be fine) for a really severe mat? using a conditioner can let you use a comb to gently pull the mat far enough away from the skin to cut it out with scissors (so that you dont cut your dog). sometimes it can actually detangle the mat alltogether depending on the severity of it. don't forget to wash it out after you have finished (it can get itchy on a dog's skin). if you feel a groomer would be more successful, then use one if you have one that you like. either way, once you get it out, be sure to keep up with your dog's coat so it does not do this again. long hair can be a real pain sometimes, can't it??!! i am sure that people who have show dogs will have better advise than this though!! good luck!! :)

reevesg

Post by reevesg » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:40 am

Thanks for the conditioner tip. I will give it a try. Now I know how quickly her fur can get matted behind her ears I will definately pay more attention.

Thanks again

Gareth

B-dawg

Post by B-dawg » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:53 am

reevesg,
My springer is about 10 mos old and he's got mats behind his ears already. They are to close to the skin for me to feel comfortable about cutting them. So I'm just going to have a groomer do it, but it can be expensive. Also I've been told if you don't take care of them quickly it can lead to a nasty ear infection. Good luck and I'm curious to hear what works for you.
-Paul

reevesg

Post by reevesg » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:57 pm

Paul,

One of my fears about taking her to the groomer is that they will just clip all the hair off and I want to leave her coat long. Do you intend to have your springers coat cut or just ask the groomer to deal with the problem areas?

Gareth

Wireviz_lady

dematting

Post by Wireviz_lady » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:38 pm

Baby oil will sometimes loosen it up. Otherwise take the blade of the sissors and slide it into the mat (blade way from skin) then just pull the blade through the hair a couple of times to loosen the mat. Maybe I can take some pics on my next project and post it step by step for the visual.
Bec

B-dawg

Post by B-dawg » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:44 pm

I just found a new tool at the pet store its called a mat tool. It looks sort of like a brush except smaller and it has 4 blades and you put it directly in the mat and pull out.
I haven't used it yet but everybody says it works real good. It retatils for about $20. After I use it I'll let you know.

Wireviz_lady

dematting tool

Post by Wireviz_lady » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:18 pm

As a groomer I have probably tried everyone of these on the market...havent found one I like yet. I will stick with a good pair of sissors and do it the long way.

reevesg

Post by reevesg » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:53 pm

Just a quick update. I took her to the vet and they quickly cut out the matts with clippers. Since they were right underneath the ears she looks the same after having them cut out ;-)

Quick tip... the vet put cotton wool into her ears so the noise wouldn't bother her as much.

Now I just need to keep on top of them and make sure they don't get bad.

Gareth