Novartis Suspends Production of Several Products

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Novartis Suspends Production of Several Products

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Interceptor, Deramaxx and Clomicalm, among others.

http://blog.vetdepot.com/novartis-suspe ... 5.facebook
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

bossman

Re: Novartis Suspends Production of Several Products

Post by bossman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks for the "heads up". Very interesting

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Another tidbit - the active ingredient in Interceptor is combined by Dow Elanco with spinosad to make Trifexis. Spinosad has had bad reports when used in pregnant bitches and cannot be used in pups under 14 weeks.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:19 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Another tidbit - the active ingredient in Interceptor is combined by Dow Elanco with spinosad to make Trifexis. Spinosad has had bad reports when used in pregnant bitches and cannot be used in pups under 14 weeks.

"Clinical findings in pups of the treated groups were comparable to the control group except for one 1X group pup that was smaller and less coordinated than its littermates and had tremors when excited. The relationship between spinosad and milbemycin oxime treatment and the 1X and 3X dogs that did not become pregnant, the specific pup malformations and the unthrifty 1X group pup are unknown. The incidence of cleft palate is not unexpected based on the historical data collected at the breeding site. "

I dont know, doesnt sound all that bad to me. If you read the whole article you find out that there were only about 3 or 4 total pups that showed any defects at all, and i think at least 2 of those were in the control group.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:43 am

dog dr wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Another tidbit - the active ingredient in Interceptor is combined by Dow Elanco with spinosad to make Trifexis. Spinosad has had bad reports when used in pregnant bitches and cannot be used in pups under 14 weeks.

"Clinical findings in pups of the treated groups were comparable to the control group except for one 1X group pup that was smaller and less coordinated than its littermates and had tremors when excited. The relationship between spinosad and milbemycin oxime treatment and the 1X and 3X dogs that did not become pregnant, the specific pup malformations and the unthrifty 1X group pup are unknown. The incidence of cleft palate is not unexpected based on the historical data collected at the breeding site. "

I dont know, doesnt sound all that bad to me. If you read the whole article you find out that there were only about 3 or 4 total pups that showed any defects at all, and i think at least 2 of those were in the control group.
Thank you for getting the correct information out where everyone can see it. We continue to have the age old problem of someone picking up a piece of information that doesn't understand it but still putting it out as fact and then it gets spread from there.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07 am

Until spinosad's labled safe, we will recommend alternatives for the few clients with breeding females. Trifexis is the product we recommend in most cases because it commits the client on flea protection.

VizslaGirl

Post by VizslaGirl » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:23 pm

We love the concept of Trifexis, but have had a high rate of vomiting with it (even when given with food). Have you seen that frequently, Cajun? We move a fair amount of Sentinel/Interceptor' so hopefully Novartis gets their act together soon!
CH Barben's Miss American Pie - "Mimi"
Barben's Chianti CD, RA, MH - "Cali "
Barben's Rob Roy SH - "Robby"
Barben's Summer Fling MH - "Summer"
Barben's Dizzy Miss Lizzy - "Lizzy"

BlueMoon Vizslas - http://www.bluemoonvizslas.com

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Just came on to post the same link, I see someone beat me to it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:01 pm

VizslaGirl wrote:We love the concept of Trifexis, but have had a high rate of vomiting with it (even when given with food). Have you seen that frequently, Cajun? We move a fair amount of Sentinel/Interceptor' so hopefully Novartis gets their act together soon!
Haven't had any issues that I know of and our clients are pretty vocal about problems. My unit vet suggests giving meds with a small evening meal, so timing the dose to when the animal is calmer may help. What's got my DVM folks riled up is how this reflects on their professional integrity. Novartis has kind of cut us loose in rough seas.

VizslaGirl

Post by VizslaGirl » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Yep - it doesnt 't make anyone look good.

I'll recommend giving Trifexis specifically with the PM meal - thanks for the idea!
Cajun Casey wrote:
VizslaGirl wrote:We love the concept of Trifexis, but have had a high rate of vomiting with it (even when given with food). Have you seen that frequently, Cajun? We move a fair amount of Sentinel/Interceptor' so hopefully Novartis gets their act together soon!
Haven't had any issues that I know of and our clients are pretty vocal about problems. My unit vet suggests giving meds with a small evening meal, so timing the dose to when the animal is calmer may help. What's got my DVM folks riled up is how this reflects on their professional integrity. Novartis has kind of cut us loose in rough seas.
CH Barben's Miss American Pie - "Mimi"
Barben's Chianti CD, RA, MH - "Cali "
Barben's Rob Roy SH - "Robby"
Barben's Summer Fling MH - "Summer"
Barben's Dizzy Miss Lizzy - "Lizzy"

BlueMoon Vizslas - http://www.bluemoonvizslas.com

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:20 am

I have had some success with giving it on a full stomach, as opposed to "with" the meal. might try that. interestingly enough, we dont see the vomiting issues with the Trifexis nearly like we do with Comfortis. Not sure why.