dew claws

redlabmaci

dew claws

Post by redlabmaci » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:44 am

My lab is 7 month old and should be hunting next year, someone told me I should have her dew claws removed. Is this something I should consider and at this age of the dog? Thanks for the help.

birdshot

Re: dew claws

Post by birdshot » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:23 am

Dew claws are normally removed when the pup is three or four days old. At your pups age it would be surgery, expensive, painful and require time to heal. The only reason I would consider surgery would be on a dog that continually came up lame as a result of dew claws being injured during hunts. Keep them trimed short and see how he does running around this winter. Crusted snow seems to be worse on dewclaws than vines or stubble.
Last edited by birdshot on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:38 am

I have to agree. At 3-4 days old, removing them isn't a big deal. Doing it now would be pretty painful, and I'd only do it if I had to.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:35 am

redlabmaci wrote:My lab is 7 month old and should be hunting next year, someone told me I should have her dew claws removed. Is this something I should consider and at this age of the dog? Thanks for the help.

Too late at 7 months - owwwww. Many believe that the dew claw should not be removed from working dogs as it stabilizes a running, flat paw on the ground.

http://www.pets.ca/dogs/articles/dog-dewclaws/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:58 pm

If it was up to me i would never remove dewclaws. If i plan on keeping a entire litter i leave them as nature intended. I truly belive it causes tendon problems. Bad.part is the fact Many buyers refuse to buy pups that do not have dewclaws removed.
There is a study i googled called "do the dewclaw?" I think that if more people read it they would change their mind.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:19 am

NO! Have you ever seen everbody agree about anything? Must mean something!

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Have seen a dew claw get ripped pretty bad while in the field, far more painful and took longer to heal than the $85 surgery to have them removed at 6 mos. Will always have dew claws removed.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:22 pm

I hunt the desert and not the woods so i can see where a dew claw could hang up there. I also have had a pointer i had to retire early when he became crippled. So i would agree terrain and type of dog is also a factor.

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:40 pm

I am having my 5 month old britt's rear dew"s removed next week. I have to agree Gotpointers about not removing BUT my dogs dews have no bone in them which comes with less complications then a boned claw or one with just cartiledge. The only reason i am removing them is my pup is in the woods more then the field and has already torn a claw.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:05 am

jarbo03 wrote:Have seen a dew claw get ripped pretty bad while in the field, far more painful and took longer to heal than the $85 surgery to have them removed at 6 mos. Will always have dew claws removed.

+1

I have actually had a dog (my first, heinz 57 birddog) who didn't have her dew claws removed when I got her. It was a constant battle with them getting torn. One day she hooked one really bad on something and I had to have the vet do surgery on them to have them removed. It was awful. She was in so much pain and I felt really bad for her. Not only is it a safety issue, but it just gives the dog a "cleaner" look. IMO
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:09 pm

i would remove claw at birth but not later.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:25 am

Having removed hundreds of dew claws at 3 days old and been witness to the extensive damage that may occur on working dogs with intact dew claws I feel it is irresponsibly negligent of any breeder who leaves them on.
That said, with a 7 mo. dog I would not voluntarily have them removed.

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 am

What if the claws are soft with no muscles or tendons attached. My vet wants to cut the back ones off.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:26 pm

I assume you are a client of that vet , because you trust his judgement.
If he is recommending the back ones comes off, then trust his opinion and don't double guess yourself.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:34 am

sorry but i think i will take the advice of Phd. DVM Christine Zink she has an article on www.caninesports.com. about the tendons and how a dewclaw removal affects.
like i said earler I remove dewclaws on litters to be sold but i would rather deal with a torn dew claw than a cripple or arthritic dog. Yes it does look cleaner and it doesent take much time or effort to remove them at three days of age.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:39 pm

gotpointers wrote:sorry but i think i will take the advice of Phd. DVM Christine Zink she has an article on http://www.caninesports.com. about the tendons and how a dewclaw removal affects.
like i said earler I remove dewclaws on litters to be sold but i would rather deal with a torn dew claw than a cripple or arthritic dog. Yes it does look cleaner and it doesent take much time or effort to remove them at three days of age.

Interesting theory by Dr. Zink. I dont think i have ever seen a dew claw track in the mud, though. Anybody??

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:12 pm

No but I've seen it hit the ground when the dog is standing and leaning into his front end. I've seen it stabililize the foot when the dog is running - probably depends how long you leave them. I say this for front claws . Can't imagine back claws being very useful.

I have 2 dogs with dew claws and one without. Never seen any difference as far as tearing goes.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:05 pm

Sharon wrote:No but I've seen it hit the ground when the dog is standing and leaning into his front end. I've seen it stabililize the foot when the dog is running - probably depends how long you leave them. I say this for front claws . Can't imagine back claws being very useful.

I have 2 dogs with dew claws and one without. Never seen any difference as far as tearing goes.
And you don't want to! Have no idea how it would stabalize the foot or how you would know if it did. The back ones are ofterlower to where they could touch the ground if running in mud but they aren't going to do much in mud, so you are still back to ? If the front ones are touchinbg the ground we need to breed for a better pastern. I'm with you Doc. Never saw a track from a dog or any other animal's dew claws since pre-historic times. And if you question that get down and wiggle it and decide for yourself how much stability they would provide and what mkes you think the dog needs more stability.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 am

rear dew claws are an abnormality anyway.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 pm

ezzy333 wrote: get down and wiggle it and decide for yourself how much stability they would provide
Ezzy
I have never seen one that had any muscular control at all. Nor have I seen one that will contact the ground in any normal situation. I have read the articles by Zink on a number of topics and have never seen one yet that passed the common sense test - believe her if you want.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:42 pm

slistoe wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: get down and wiggle it and decide for yourself how much stability they would provide
Ezzy
I have never seen one that had any muscular control at all. Nor have I seen one that will contact the ground in any normal situation. I have read the articles by Zink on a number of topics and have never seen one yet that passed the common sense test - believe her if you want.
Amen

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:53 pm

dog dr wrote:rear dew claws are an abnormality anyway.
Not on all breeds. Double hind dewclaws are a requirement for several breeds to meet standard. The absence of the hind dew is dominant, I believe, but not normal.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
Not on all breeds. Double hind dewclaws are a requirement for several breeds to meet standard. The absence of the hind dew is dominant, I believe, but not normal.
You are right of course, but it has nothing to do with our sporting breeds as abnormally says pretty well. But it certainly was nice you pointed that out to everyone.

Ezzy

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
:roll: thanks cliff :wink: