Neutering Changes

BillGraves

Neutering Changes

Post by BillGraves » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:18 am

Today, my little buddy is getting snipped and I was just wondering what types of changes have any of you seen from before to after neutering? Thanks,

Bill

nanney1

Re: Neutering Changes

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:30 am

Typically, if dogs are altered before they are done growing, it changes they way the grow. They will usually grow a little taller and narrower.

Temperament is hit and miss. I had a neutered male that was submissive and gentle, but that could have been his temperament regardless. I've also seen neutered males that are dominant and aggressive and tend to mount other dogs and end up in fights. Of course, it could have been their temperament prior.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 am

Best to wait until the dog is fully grown - 1+ years
Here are some possible benefits.

http://aspcabehavior.org/articles/45/Ho ... y-Dog.aspx

edited for spelling
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:03 pm

He is about 18 months. I was definitely waiting until he was a year, figured I'd do it when I'm not as active outside anymore.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:59 am

Bill,

At that age (18 months) you probably won't notice any change. Let us know if you do.

tenbearsviz

Post by tenbearsviz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:12 am

Bill,

I have had my dogs neutered after retirement from field trialing usually around age 6. The most noticeable change is there desire to confront another male has drastically decreased. They won't back down but wont instigate a confrontation like they used to. Having four male dogs and 2 females at one time, the boys had to be watched in case a scrum broke out. Now with only 1 intact male that is a puppy, there is peace in the valley.

It has had zero effect on their drive or desire to hunt.... Except they don't mind the briars as much as they used to. :lol:

Don

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:46 am

I haven't noticed changes except in two cases (we have 5 neutered males) - both of whom have become a bit "mellower" since the neuter. The others are pretty much the same, a bit less marking behavior. Overall, they seem to be more focused on hunting than in the past, less likely to want to "mix it up" with other dogs and more likely to ignore the females in heat. They just hunt more. My one male has put on some weight this summer (neutered at 2 years old - 7 now) but I just cut back on the feed and all is well. My one male is a bit taller than his full brother, but he was also that way as a pup, so I don't know if the height has anything to do with the neutering. Mine are not old enough to be able to infer anything about cancer or any potential problems as a result of the neutering (they are 7, 3, 3, 2, 2).

+1 on the briars comment, my boys don't have BB syndrome (bloody balls) anymore.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:46 pm

It made my brother-in law grumpy, but it never bothered my Lab a bit... :mrgreen: 'course the Lab was always an easy going dog anyway...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 pm

It has been about a month now that I had my 1.5 yr. GSP neutered and he seems to have gone a little batty. Before the neutering, he never even tested my fence, not even close. I have a 5 ft. split rail with wire fencing on to keep him in and also 6 ft. privacy fence on one side. I think skateboarders in front of my house one day scared him...not them, just the sound of their boards on pavement, and he got out. Figured he went under the gate in the back but wasn't totally sure. Well, that was confirmed when my wife saw him get out under the gate...she called his name and he turned back, looked her way, then bolted. My guess is, he found freedom and liked it. So, I strung a hot wire across the top and bottom of that fence and it is secure now with electric. Now I have come to conclude that he is getting out of the FRONT gate. :roll:

I had been resting him since the first time he got out because his front paws got chunks taken out of his pads and were very tender but that didn't stop him from running. I know it was partly my fault for not getting him exercise, but I didn't want to injure him any more.

Has anyone experienced a change like this after neutering? I have blocked ALL exits from the fence with electric wire, logs, trash cans to keep him in and took him for a run yesterday at a local farm. I just spent a bunch of $ securing the yard and don't want to spend any more but man, I have a stinkin' Houdini!!

Sorry, just a little rant...got a little frustrated!

Bill

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:55 pm

It don't believe his change in behaviour was due to neutering. I think he has just disvovered he can escape. I've never noticed any changes in behaviour from neutering - neither my husband ,nor the dogs. :)

edited for spelling
Last edited by Sharon on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:20 am

Sharon,
That's what I thought, but it was way to coincidental to not ask about it!

Bill