gsp dry heaving...

trigger1989

gsp dry heaving...

Post by trigger1989 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:46 am

I have a one year old gsp. Yesterday during the day he dry heaved a few times and nothing comes up. When he's done he acts like he spits at the end but still nothing. Last night he must have done its 7 or 8 times during the night. I've read online to give him like pepcid ac or something similar. I would appreciate anyone's advice or thoughts. Thanks a lot.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: gsp dry heaving...

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:29 am

Personally , i don't get over excited for a day or 3.
No regular food. use boiled hamburg and rice.
I take my dog to the vet about the 3rd day if nothing changes.

If I have any reason to believe it might be bloat, i go to the vet immediately.
http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 am

Throwing up for dogs is a much more natural process than for humans. Make sure he is drinking. More then likely he will get over it quickly. Giver it a day or three before panicking. A lot of times a vet will charge a lot and not be very helpful in situations like that.

Recently my dog didnt eat for a week. Fed him some rotisserie chicken to get him back eating again and after that he was fine.

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:18 am

+1 as long as there's good water intake.

My dog has suddenly gone into puke attacks for a two day period with no indication as to why. As long as she's drinking water, I just sully along next her with a towel and carpet stain remover spray.

Frequent discharge of bile however would warrant a trip to the vet in my opinion.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

AG74

Post by AG74 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:54 am

wberry85 wrote:Throwing up for dogs is a much more natural process than for humans. Make sure he is drinking. More then likely he will get over it quickly. Giver it a day or three before panicking. A lot of times a vet will charge a lot and not be very helpful in situations like that.

Recently my dog didnt eat for a week. Fed him some rotisserie chicken to get him back eating again and after that he was fine.
So, is the consensus that vomiting in dogs is not always something to get overy-concerned about? My 18m.o. GWP has been sporadically vomiting within about 15 min of eating, occasionally, lately. He did for my wife yesterday AM, but I found two foam ear plugs and a small piece of cardboard in his stool, also... so maybe that did it? We also had a neighbor's 16 year old daughter stay with us while they were on vacay and she had some leftover pizza in her room that he somehow devoured.... anyway, he is crafty about getting into things, even though our house is fairly well puppy-proofed.... he NEVER has free reign in the house while we're gone, only when we're home and can keep an eye on him. He still gets into stuff. anyway, I worry about the vomiting, but I guess that's more normal for dogs...?

He always has good energy, etc and still drinks a lot and is pee'ing good, so I guess we'll just watch him more closely. Oh yeah, he is on some liquid meds for a little spot of mange also. Maybe that nauseates him?

Thanks!
Al

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:36 am

AG74 wrote:
wberry85 wrote:Throwing up for dogs is a much more natural process than for humans. Make sure he is drinking. More then likely he will get over it quickly. Giver it a day or three before panicking. A lot of times a vet will charge a lot and not be very helpful in situations like that.

So, is the consensus that vomiting in dogs is not always something to get overy-concerned about? My 18m.o. GWP has been sporadically vomiting within about 15 min of eating, occasionally, lately. He did for my wife yesterday AM, but I found two foam ear plugs and a small piece of cardboard in his stool, also... so maybe that did it? We also had a neighbor's 16 year old daughter stay with us while they were on vacay and she had some leftover pizza in her room that he somehow devoured.... anyway, he is crafty about getting into things, even though our house is fairly well puppy-proofed.... he NEVER has free reign in the house while we're gone, only when we're home and can keep an eye on him. He still gets into stuff. anyway, I worry about the vomiting, but I guess that's more normal for dogs...?

He always has good energy, etc and still drinks a lot and is pee'ing good, so I guess we'll just watch him more closely. Oh yeah, he is on some liquid meds for a little spot of mange also. Maybe that nauseates him?

Thanks!
Al

Sounds like your dog is regurgitating and not vomitting. Could be the food, the amount he is eating, eating too fast, something in his stomach, any number of reasons.

AG74

Post by AG74 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm

mcbosco wrote:
AG74 wrote:

Thanks!
Al

Sounds like your dog is regurgitating and not vomitting. Could be the food, the amount he is eating, eating too fast, something in his stomach, any number of reasons.
Yes, I guess that is probably more accurate. I put some of his toys in his bowl, so he has to "eat around them" and it therefore slows him down, or I add a little water and let it soak a bit before feeding, that also slows him down. He's never regurgitated with the water. Sometimes its grass that makes him regurgitate, if he's eaten grass. One time it was a bird feather I think was probably in his esophagus that made him regurgitate....

Medically speaking, is regurgitating less serious than vomiting?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:36 pm

Not really sure, I would guess most causes of regurgitation are less serious that vomiting. I have read that smaller kibble sizes cut down on this but dogs tends to eat smaller kibbles faster. Seems like pups do it more because they just eat so aggressively. I remember mine regurgitating 2lbs of green tripe once. Was pretty gross. Ate it a second time and no issues.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:05 pm

To the OP, are you sure this isn't kennel cough or reverse sneezing?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 pm

I was thinking the same about the reverse sneezing. I had searched for that term a few weeks ago.

kumate

Post by kumate » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:41 am

My gsp eats really fast just inhales his kibble and about half the time before he finishes he runs into another room or in a corner and appears to be working through it panicking not going down right or something after 15to 30 seconds he trots back over and finishes his food. After he eats or drinks abunch of water he always belches. and on occasion he will belch back up alittle water but never food. I dont really worry

Jerry

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:17 am

kumate wrote:My gsp eats really fast just inhales his kibble and about half the time before he finishes he runs into another room or in a corner and appears to be working through it panicking not going down right or something after 15to 30 seconds he trots back over and finishes his food. After he eats or drinks abunch of water he always belches. and on occasion he will belch back up alittle water but never food. I dont really worry

Jerry
Jerry, slow that pup down!!!! Seriously.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:52 am

A little different direction here. But agree with most no worry for a few days if they are drinking and eating.

Sometimes the dogs will chew wood, plastic bottles, pine cones. This can make them heave. sometimes with bile, sometimes with nothing it would be more like a gag/vomit.

I try not letting my dogs have anything that scratches their throat or what ever. But sometimes they find stuff.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Sorry guys its been crazy the past few weeks. The conclusion was... Stupid kennel cough from a dog park. Got him some pills and then the vaccine and now he's his hyper self again

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Glad you got it figured out and he is on the mend.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick