bumps with black pus discharge

anb

bumps with black pus discharge

Post by anb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:37 am

i know, gross.

I recently found a lump on my 14yo lab-rottie mix. It looked like it had an opening (like a blackhead). The bump was silver-grey colored and the "head" looked like scabby black color. Well, I gave it a good squeeze and a bunch of black-grey gunk came out. It didn't smell bad (which was good or I probably would have vomited). I expressed everything untill a few drops of blood came out. Anyone else ever experience something like this? I was thinking necrotic tissue or infection, but the lack of foul smell makes me think maybe not. It doesn't seem to have filled back up yet, and doesn't seem overly sensitive to her. I noticed she does have a small one on her snout as well. At first I was thinking they were just some of her "old dog bumps", but these seem different.
Advice / ideas?
Andrea & Zigy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: bumps with black pus discharge

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:49 am

Look up sebaceous cysts, commonly called "schnauzer bumps" for their prevailance in those dogs, for a start.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:35 am

My lab mix is going to be 15 yrs old in April and she started getting lumps and bumps a year or two ago. Most look like warts or large skin tags, and some do open up and get crusty. They haven't effected her health at all, but are just cosmetic. A lot of things have changed for her in the last year or two, and she has much bigger issues with rear end mobility. :cry:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:27 pm

My wifes 18 yr old shi Tzu has a few bumps like you are describing. Haven't popped one and the vet said they could remove them but the dog is already old as dirt... I see no end in sight for that dog. Every morning she gets up and runs around. When she is gone I get my new gsp:)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:18 pm

Now, now, don't have any evil thoughts. LOL I had a few about this cat we have , I can tell you.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:25 pm

I can't stand cats. If I had to deal with one we have a ton of coyotes to take care of it.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 am

ultracarry wrote:My wifes 18 yr old shi Tzu has a few bumps like you are describing. Haven't popped one and the vet said they could remove them but the dog is already old as dirt... I see no end in sight for that dog. Every morning she gets up and runs around. When she is gone I get my new gsp:)
My dad had a mean-as-a-snake aussie for years. The day it died my sis and I literally did a happy dance. Of course, this was not in sight of my dad, who was devastated when Buckwheat (BW) died. This dog was absolutely the worst dog I've ever been around.

You need to practice restraint when your wife's loving dog finally passes (at least when she's around). Celebrate out of sight and earshot.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:33 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Look up sebaceous cysts, commonly called "schnauzer bumps" for their prevailance in those dogs, for a start.
+1.

anb

Post by anb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 am

Well, the bump hasn't returned, so perhaps it was just a sebaceous cyst. I hadn't thought that originally because of the color and lack of smell.
Like someone else mentioned, the ol girl has more to worry about trying to get her back end to keep up with her front!
Thanks
andi