Feed store dropped Loyall

Angus

Feed store dropped Loyall

Post by Angus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:02 pm

My Setter pup was on totw for a few months after coming home. He did well at first, but looked too thin after his activity levels went up. I switched to Loyall and he has looked great and performs wonderfully for the last 2 months. He is 7mo now and has done very well on this feed. I went to the local Agway here and I walk in and no Loyall where it is normally stocked. I look around a bit and don't see it anywhere. I asked at the counter and was told that they no longer carry it. It was replaced by Royal Canin. There was so much Royal Canin in the place you'd think they were advertising for them. They also dropped Pro Pac to make shelf room. I voiced my displeasure knowing the cashier had nothing to do with it, but it made me feel better.

Anyway, came home with Canidae als. The other options were TOTW (my labs did great on this), nutri-source (non-performance), Nutro, Chicken Soup, Diamond, Royal Canin, and some food i've never heard of or seen on the shelf before. Diamond EA was the only performance food I saw on the shelves. My labs had really bad gas on diamond products before switching to totw. i would have to drive 30 min or so (1 way) to get to the closest TSC. There is a Pet-valu that carries feed, not sure on the loyall. I'd rather support my local economy than an international chain though.

I know there is a bunch of good feed, and my pup may do well on the Canidae. Alas, frustration got the better of me today.

Any idea on the Canidae? I've heard mixed reviews about it for sporting dogs. The pup is very active. He runs for hours a day and Saturdays he gets a trip to the State Forest or State Gamelands. A few hours there really puts on the miles.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Feed store dropped Loyall

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Angus, there is not a great deal of difference in most of the feeds you named. As far as a performance feed I am not sure what that really is. I think you will find that the pup will do well on any of those feeds if you get him adjusted too them and then feed what it takes to supply enough calories to keep him in good shape. The gas problem you mentioned is normally caused by a little too much feed and I have found it to be a problem anytime you are switching feeds.

I am just finishing up a feeding test that I was asked to do by a company that is making one of the elite dog foods on the market today. The results I have found so far is it is a good feed and the dogs like it. I am feeding the same amount as I did of the Diamond High Energy and to date the dog on it has lost a couple of pounds. That is not enough to be significant as I would think it is related to more activity and cooler weather as it is to the feed. I did try to increase the amount being fed a little but started having some gas problems so I backed off and have started adding a couple of tablespoons of a vegetable oil and that seems to be helping. The real telling factor though is the feed with the elite ingredients costs about $60 for a 35 lb. bag while the Diamond is $25 for a 50lb. bag. And the results of each is basically identical with the dogs doing well and looking good on both feeds. Feeding too much of either feed will start to produce a loose stool and a problem with gas. The dogs like both, perform well on both, and look good on both. I just couldn't afford to feed the one and worse, get nothing for it, as far as results go. Over the years and many dog foods I have found this to be basically true with what ever we have used. The one thing that often does show is that it is hard to keep weight on a dog that is really active at a reasonable price, without having corn in the diet.

And the other thing that is so evident is 99% of the dog owners spend way to much time reading ingredient lists that are printed on the bags instead of reading the dog they are feeding. And by that I mean actually observing how the dog is doing over a period of time and not trying to make a whole lot more out of the normal daily variations of the dogs energy level and appetite, which just have little to do with the feed being fed and more about the normal health and activity of the dogs daily routine.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:27 pm

I sell a good bit of Canidae ALS to Agility and Conformation clients. If you like it, they have a buy twelve, get one free, program based on UPC POPs. Ask your dealer.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Angus

Post by Angus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks for the response Ezzy.

By Performance I mean, a Diamond hi-Energy, Loyall, Performance, Nutri-source Performance, etc. Most of the foods on teh shelf now appear to be for family pets and not a hard working gundog. They may all work well, but my pup was skinny on totw. If I upped his intake just a little he would get the runs. That is why I switched to Loyall and have been very happy with it. I just can't get it now without driving 30mins or so one way.

I understand what your saying with the gas and I am willing to bet that you are right. my Labs were not over weight on the Diamond and I did not know what I do today. Either way, it has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I went with what I thought would be a good bet in feed given the choices I had. I just haven't gotten much info about canidae for gundogs and was looking for info about it for my active pup.

Corn doesn't bother me as long as it is processed properly and Meat is the main ingredients. i was looking at the k-cal more than anything.

Angus

Post by Angus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I sell a good bit of Canidae ALS to Agility and Conformation clients. If you like it, they have a buy twelve, get one free, program based on UPC POPs. Ask your dealer.

The local Agway here has a buy 10 bags, get $30 off the eleventh bag. It doesn't matter which feed, it is something they do, not the suppliers. I will look into the Canidae offer as well and see how that would work. Need to see if it works for the pup first.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Tractor Supply Co. carries Loyall brand here in Nebraska. If TSC has stores in Pennslyvania, they might be able to get it for you.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Ezzy, Was your individual feed test run for a published feeding trail for this "elite dog food" company you mention? If so, where and when can I find the results? Maybe you could elaborate a bit further. It would be interesting to hear more defined details of your findings. Thanks!

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Can you find any place in the area that sells Annamaet? It was a good food that the dogs did well on. My male was a hard keeper and it put weight on him like no other food, the availability in my area forced me to switch. I went to Diamond EA and do not regret it one bit. The dogs look great not a lot of stool and no gas. The male kept the weight on and their coats look great.

Annamaet is based out of PA, thats why I ask if its available to you.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:02 pm

I sent you a pm.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:21 am

In addition to your Ag. store. I dropped Loyall as well. They priced it out of my zone. My choices were to pay $37.99/40lbs or drive an additional 50 mile to get it at $32.99/40 lbs. or drop it completely.

Bye-bye Loyall..............................

Angus

Post by Angus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:55 pm

CHJIII wrote:In addition to your Ag. store. I dropped Loyall as well. They priced it out of my zone. My choices were to pay $37.99/40lbs or drive an additional 50 mile to get it at $32.99/40 lbs. or drop it completely.

Bye-bye Loyall..............................
What did you end up switching to?

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:36 pm

Switched to Diamond Premium witll mix it with High Energy during season. Not my first choice, but it will do for now.