Diamond high energy (Diamond in general really)

redman25

Diamond high energy (Diamond in general really)

Post by redman25 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:28 am

I've fed lamb and rice, EA, and chicken and rice in the first 18 months of my dogs life. About 3 months ago he developed Major diarrhea and some vomiting of a yellow discharge on the Naturals Chicken and Rice...obviously I trashed the small amount left in the bag and put him on straight chicken and rice for a few days and he straightened right out. I switched to Canidae and he loved it but the price went up to a ridiculous 50+ for 44 lbs. I decided to give Diamond High Energy a try hoping that the previous episode was a fluke and maybe the small amount of Naturals C and R left in the previous bag had went bad from moisture etc as I was in the middle of a move and it was exposed a little more than normal... Within a week on the high energy formula he has exhibited a slight aversion to the food and a couple episodes of heaving and the yellowish discharge as well as lack of balance during the episodes. I'm awaiting a reply from their customer service but was wondering what the deal is if anyone knows. I've read some warnings on the Internet about this but up until recently had great success with their products. I'm barely into this 50 lb bag and it's an hour drive back to Tractor Supply....very frustrated.....the gas for the trip back is as expensive as the "bleep" food

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Diamond high energy (Diamond in general really)

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 am

I feed EA and Chix and rice for the last few years, all our kennel dogs are on performance diamond......no problems at all, very pleased with the feed.

dunno how much your feeding but probably just cut it back, switching feed that many times probably has as much to do with it as well......

The EA might be too much for some dogs and not really be necessary, mine get run ALOT for 7-8 months a year....dunno if the average companion hunter really needs such a dense feed. But again I've had no issues with any diamond feed, cept maybe some gas when I'm trying to maintain or gain weight on the dogs, during high work/stressful times.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:53 am

birddog1968 wrote:I feed EA and Chix and rice for the last few years, all our kennel dogs are on performance diamond......no problems at all, very pleased with the feed.
Same here. It doesn't sound to me like that is a feeding problem. Not sure though what is going on. I would suggest cutting the amount you are feeding back a little and see what happens. I am feeding the HE and was feeding the Premium and had excellent results as long as you don't over feed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:58 am

Sounds like your dog has a pancreas issue. Use a lower fat food.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:02 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Sounds like your dog has a pancreas issue. Use a lower fat food.
I think this might be right but I would strongly suggest you go to a vet and not take our word for the good of the dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:06 pm

I can't cut him back as he will barely eat it as is. He nudges the full bowl around until he's hungry enough to eat it and then the issues happen. Grouse season is in full swing in WV so he's getting a ton of work. He was devouring 4 cups a day of the other but as soon as I switched I'm lucky if he'll eat 2 cups. Loves the grilled chicken and cooked rice though. He's been to the vet recently and everything is up to date, no worms, perfectly healthy. Baffling. I forgot to add that he's had a bag of pro plan as well and begged for it but again the price is ridiculous. It sounds like a ton of change but the reality is that in 18 months he's had 2 bags of Canidae, 1 bag of pro plan, and around a dozen or so bags of Diamond Naturals and the present bag of High Energy, the last 2 of which have not sat well with him, while the PP and Can he had no issues with. We'll see what they say, but I'm not expecting much.

edb

Post by edb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Well if he eats the pro plan with no issues feed it to him. No two dogs are the same and sometimes regardless what some will tell you food can be an issue. Proplan isn't so expensive I wouldn't feed it if it works.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:43 pm

It seems that in the high value competition, Sportmix seems to beat out Diamond pretty handily. Black Bag, right, for 50 cents lb???

utprizewire

Post by utprizewire » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:10 am

redman,
You aren't going to see a difference right away it will take some time. What I would do is take him off the Diamond High Energy and switch him to Diamond performance (30/20). If you have any Pro Plan left I would mix that in gradually with the Diamond Perfomance. Around here I can get the Performance for 26 bucks for 40 pounds.

UT

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Check with your vet. This is interesting though; some of our dogs do the same thing on Diamond HE, always first thing in the AM.

http://mia-carter.suite101.com/why-is-m ... uid-a63049