In heat?

Ranger351

In heat?

Post by Ranger351 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Whats a good sign besides bleeding that a dogs in heat? Never owned a female dog that wasn't fixed so new to this. New to me 5 yr old lab.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: In heat?

Post by cjhills » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:43 am

If you see the male and female tied chances are the female is in heat.
j

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:09 am

I see you got another quality response that has become common during the see who can have the most post per day contest around here.

All dogs are different. Some will be protective of toys, start nesting, some are just plain crazy. They often have to pee a lot I guess they feel like they have to go. A good idea would be to mark it on the calendar when she does come in so you will have a good idea next time. Most females are pretty regular at 6mos but some aren't. You will know after a few cycles. It is gonna last for 4 weeks. Don't just leave her in the backyard or you will have neighbors dogs coming around after a week or so and will eventually get in the yard with her.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:37 am

Swollen, clear fluid, emotional, clingy, act screwey. Make sure she is on lock down if she is and you don't want gsp labs.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:42 am

Sorry,some people need to lighten up a little bit. Bleeding and swollen vulva are all the signs you need. Some bitches will go to great lengths to find a dog, so don't give her a chance, or your next sign may be what my post said. Absolutly don't let out without being on a leash :D

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 am

Usually, the first indicator in my females, prior to any physical signs, is a quick temper (moreso than usual) and an intolerance of any attention from other dogs.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:08 pm

cjhills wrote:Sorry,some people need to lighten up a little bit. Bleeding and swollen vulva are all the signs you need. Some bitches will go to great lengths to find a dog, so don't give her a chance, or your next sign may be what my post said. Absolutly don't let out without being on a leash :D

Actually this board used to be a lot better with more helpful information until a handful of people decided it was necessary to post on every topic that is on here and usually have little to add to the conversation or claim to be experts with no real knowledge of what they are talking about. I will go back with the rest of the folks that have quit posting here.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks
While I in no way consider myself an expert on dog breeding or anything else, I have been involved in it for many years and have seen many Bitches in estrus. One thing they all had in common was vaginal bleeding and swollen vulva. It may be possible that they will breed without that, however
I have not seen that happen.
I have seen bitches breed through kennel fences, climb the corner of seven foot kennels to get to a dog, dig under fences and chew through doors and crates. Even one who mated with a wild coyote.
I am sorry if some body sees fit to belittle my opinion,but if you don't want the bitch bred don't give her a chance is good advice.
I very well may not have the expertise and experience that this person has. I think I have as much to add as you have. i stand by my opinion.
You show me your credential and I will show you mine.
Have a great day :D J

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:45 pm

You have been on the board for less than a month and make a smartass post that is no help to a new person asking a question. If you are so knowledgeable trying offering some real help. Didn't see them ask when to know a breeding took place. I have had females dogs in my family since I was bore so I offered some help on signs one is coming in to someone who didn't know. You want people around here to respect you earn it by being helpful.

Hope you stick around and share your knowledge in a helpful manner.

quote="cjhills"]Thanks
While I in no way consider myself an expert on dog breeding or anything else, I have been involved in it for many years and have seen many Bitches in estrus. One thing they all had in common was vaginal bleeding and swollen vulva. It may be possible that they will breed without that, howGever
I have not seen that happen.
I have seen bitches breed through kennel fence, climb the corner of seven foot kennels to get to a dog, dig under fences and chew through doors and crates. Even one who mated with a wild coyote.
I am sorry if some body sees fit to belittle my opinion,but if you don't want the bitch bred don't give her a chance is good advice.
I very well may not have the expertise and experience that this person has. I think I have as much to add as you have. i stand by my opinion.
You show me your credential and I will show you mine.
Have a great day :D J[/quote]

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:07 pm

You should get over yourself. :lol:

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:50 am

brad27 wrote:You should get over yourself. :lol:
see you joined your friends in the post count contest. keep up the good work.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 am

hmm hunting season must be over
I am currently trying to figure out how to tell estrus in a goat, and it makes the dogs look easy! No bleeding and the swelling minimal. I am tired of looking at this goats rear every day to catch this 6-24 hour cycle they have!
On the GSP's you can't hardly not notice the swelling and bleeding. In a lab the coat could hide it a bit. Temperment is waht I too notice first. I see clingy, attention seeking, without as much desire to play with toys and retrieve. Sometime yes, prone to be testy with the other dogs, but usually they are trying to avoid them. Then the swelling and very soon after, bleeding. Most every dog I have seen bleeds to the point that they cause stains and drips on the floor or kennel. If I have to keep them inside they are full time crated. Mean maybe, buy NO CHANCES. Leash walks and crate time or kennel time is all they get. Average of 6-11 days of bleeding in Proestrus, then estrus 5-9 days, then metaestrus with some mixed signs of estrus and/or pregnacy/ and or just a decrese of signs overall. The trouble is those numbers can vary ALOT with each dog. So learn your own dog by watch and logging it all.