He just started to really stink..........

yukonjasper

He just started to really stink..........

Post by yukonjasper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Howdy,
2 days ago, when I got home from work, I noticed a very heavy Dog smell, not feces or urine, just a very Doggy smell. This hit me from the point I hit the door from the garage all the way to my CBR's kennel. He doesn't seem to smell when I give him a whiff - but the area smells. I washed the towels I had been using to wipe him down (rain and snow melt runoff) and its still there. I will give him a bath this weekend. Just wondering if anyone else has had their dog "bloom" with dog stink. Diet is consistent, the only thing I could think of was some roast beef scraps that he got a hold of the night before - maybe a table spoon or so - didn't think that would make a difference.

any thoughts so I can keep it from happening again.
Spectamur Agendo
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: He just started to really stink..........

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:32 pm

He may have had a rapid increase of bacteria on his coat due to changes in humidity or temperature. Try wiping him down with a cloth dampened with Listerine.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:33 pm

check his ears and anal glands, give a whiff to both, i like rubbing mine down with diluted apple cider vinegar shines him up and removes any smell pretty well

yukonjasper

Post by yukonjasper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:00 pm

I wiffed his ears and his backside because I thought of exactly those things. I've never had a dog with Gland issues and I know what ear problems smell like, so if there is uncertainty, it would be with the Glands. I'll check again tonight when I get home from work. He will get a shower tomorrow - for sure. I don't have either of those products, but could get them on my way home to try.

Any recommendations for what to bathe him with?

Just regular Dog Shampoo or some other concoction?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Spectamur Agendo

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:08 pm

i like the citrus shampoos best

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Probably wouldn't hurt to do the Dawn dish soap, peroxide and baking soda deskunker treatment. :)

yukonjasper

Post by yukonjasper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Do you mind posting the recipe?
Spectamur Agendo

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:06 pm

In a two gallon plastic bucket, mix:

One gallon of water
One quart of hydrogen peroxide
One tablespoon of original Dawn dish soap
One cup of baking soda

It will be fizzy.

Sponge it on the dog, scrubbing if necessary and leave it on for ten minutes or so.

Rinse with plain water.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:56 pm

I'll weigh in here - both of our CBR's stink all the time. They are a VERY smelly dog. I've noticed it with the majority of the ones I've met. You pet them and your hands smell pretty bad. I'm pretty sure it's a breed thing with the chessies. I've been around dogs all my life and never had one that has the smell like the chessies. Before we got into the breed, a local conservation agent had one (now she has another) and warned us about the smell of their hair/skin. She was right, they just plain stink.

I was just petting the youngster we've got here and was thinking "boy, is he coming into his chessie smell!"

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:15 pm

They seem to have much more oil in their skin than most dogs. Every one I have ever been around stinks :lol:
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:They seem to have much more oil in their skin than most dogs. Every one I have ever been around stinks :lol:
It's the oil and not the skin or hair.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:11 pm

thats why the citrus shampoos are good, cut the oil well

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:39 am

My neighbor has one and we can smell it from across the road on a wet morning... :lol: Nice dog, but Pew!!! Try a little "Old Spice" behind his ears!.. Or Johnson's Baby shampoo...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

yukonjasper

Post by yukonjasper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:48 am

By way of update. I figured out the problem. The oils had accumulated on the inside of the crate and since our weather has become warmer and the humidity inside the house has gone up, the oil is more noticable. It was puzzling because he didn't seem to stink especially bad when you put your nose to him, but when he was in the crate for any length of time it was very noticable. I washed him on Saturday and he smelled great but when I got close to the crate, yikes. I assume his body heat, increase in ambient heat and the humidity all consipired to create a crates worth of stink.

I pulled the bottom half and rinsed it - it helped but didn't solve the problem since I didn't scrub nor did I use any detergents - I was in a hurry on Saturday, so couldn't do the job correctly. I'll do a through scrub of both halves this week.

Any suggestions for what to wash the crate with. I'm assuming a weak solution of bleach and/or Dawn.

I had been thinking of putting a pad in the crate, now that he seems to be getting beyond the puppy chewing stage (maybe), but maybe not a great idea if the oil will soak into the pad.
Spectamur Agendo

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 am

Don't mix Dawn with bleach. It even says so on the bottle. Toxic fumes. Just the soap itself with a good stiff brush, like a toilet brush, should do the trick on the crate. Also, make sure the screws are dry and put a little cooking spray or WD40 on them prior to reassembly. Glad your destanking radar was working!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:47 am

I wash my dog bedding with some of the Nature's Miracle enzymatic cleaner - it works well on the chessie smell!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:51 am

RoostersMom wrote:I wash my dog bedding with some of the Nature's Miracle enzymatic cleaner - it works well on the chessie smell!
Their laundry additive is da bomb!

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 am

I wash dog blankets with hot water and white vinegar and lemon joy- works great and super cheap. If I can, I let them air dry over the fence, and they are nice and fresh.

I wash out the crates with bleach a few times a year, but for a quick wipe down to cut the oil, you might want something like this for the warm weather: http://www.amazon.com/Grease-Monkey-Wip ... d_sim_sg_2 Grease monkey wipes.

I use baby shampoo and baking soda on the dogs to not cut their natural oils, but it leaves them smelling nice.
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown