Things they didnt teach in Vet school

dog dr

Things they didnt teach in Vet school

Post by dog dr » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:20 am

There is a blog written by veterinarians that i read almost daily. Most of the entries are about some of the crazier and more frustrating things we get to deal with every day. I thought some of you might get a kick out of this. Apparently this vet was sent the following information from a "wolf breeder" along with a client. My favorite was that wolves are actually from the feline family.

CARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR VETS

Here are some helpful tips when one of our clients brings in their wolves for check ups or with problems:

They have a very high metabolism.
Parvo shots could kill them or make them ill.
Wolves are prone to have diarrhea because of their metabolism.
Can be caused by drinking too much water or not getting filtered water (as we always recommend)
Too much moisture in their system. Wolves absorb moisture through their skin.
Too much food, they should be eating one time per day.
Eating the wrong types of food. They need a high protein diet, 27% or higher. Should not be eating any fruits or vegetables, can not digest them, it make rake the colon and make them bleed.
Require dirt in their diet. This comes from years of eating a kill that gets dirty on the ground. It makes their stool solid. Food should be fed on the ground or a small amount of dirt/pebbles added to it.

They do not get parvo or heartworm.
Diarrhea is more than likely caused by the above mentioned items.

No flea products. These products are made for hair not fur. It can burn the fur and cause their skin to be irritated.

They are from the feline family, non the canine as taught. This is why they have a high metabolism. the same as lions, bears and tigers.
So no dog shots, feline shots only.

The skin is about 1 inch thick and so a mosquito can not lay larva under the skin so they do not get heartworm. Because of this they also do not get fleas or ticks because they can not penetrate it. Meds for heartworm could cause them to become sick.
Because of their fur coats they tend to get hotter faster than dogs. They can easily get heat stronke so if it is hot outside they need a cool area they can get to.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions .

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Things they didnt teach in Vet school

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:32 am

OKie Dokie....What plant did that person say the wolves they deal with come from? :roll:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Sounds a great deal like what we hear from pet owners about dog food and horses. It is amazing what people will believe and swear it is true. Wolves must be where our dogs get their sensitive stomachs and there need all animal protein.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:46 pm

I think it's great that interested professionals share their research with the medical industry. It saves so many resources usually wasted on legitimate research and testing. I'm even thinking about sending in my research on the negative effects of feeding biscuits while on a redwood deck! :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:08 pm

I have always thought we could use a good floating dog food when we are duckhunting or fishing out of a small boat and you have the dog along. Bet that would slow the fast eaters down.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:19 pm

nice kitty! good kitty!

/sigh

sully511

Post by sully511 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Oh my!! :?

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:53 am

After reading how wolves need special feed and care requirements, the instructions that I heard given for raising gsp's makes more sense.
Apparently, shorthairs require a tankard of beer with their evening meal as their origin comes from Germany.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:17 am

3Britts wrote:After reading how wolves need special feed and care requirements, the instructions that I heard given for raising gsp's makes more sense.
Apparently, shorthairs require a tankard of beer with their evening meal as their origin comes from Germany.

And Russian Wolhounds a fifth of vodka

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:51 am

Ralph, Don't be silly... it depends on what ya stained the deck with! :lol:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:33 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:Ralph, Don't be silly... it depends on what ya stained the deck with! :lol:
Bacon fat, good on anything. I even use bacon scented cologne, it drives all the woman crazy, at least those down at the buffet! :oops:

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am

I worked in the captive red wolf breeding program and reintroduction program for several years and most of my response could be summed up as :roll: and :lol:
but all those biologists could have it wrong....

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:32 am

Who would have known all we need is frontline to kill those darn things.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:29 pm

I guess that since they absorb moisture through the skin then they really shouldn't be left out in the rain. I particularly enjoy the part about adding dirt and pebbles to their food - my nephews ate dirt when they were little - maybe they're part feline too! Never mind the pesky scientific name of Canis... I guess wolves should be Felis not Canis.