Car sickness

Mikko2

Car sickness

Post by Mikko2 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:51 am

Just got my new lab pup 3. Days ago. It is 7.5 weeks old. He will be going to work with me everyday, but he is getting car sick everytime I put him in truck (about 10 times). Doesn't matter if we go 20to miles or 2at blocks. He starts to water bad at mouth instantly and eventually throws up. Have tried not feeding him, and feeding him 1.5 hrs before work. Doesn't seem to help. Only difference is in the quantity of food he is puking up. HELP THANKS .

TIM

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Car sickness

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 am

Do you put it in a cage where it can't see out?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 am

I have one that gets carsick every time we go in the truck. He's 3 now and still gets carsick. Unfortunately, sometimes they don't outgrow it. The best advice I got was to "condition them beneath their threshold." Which meant...put him in the crate (hopefully he is in the crate at home and it's a safe place) and start the car up. Stop and go, letting him out on a leash for a minute or two between the stop and go. Keep up with this strategy until you can go longer distances. The key to this is to let him out of the truck BEFORE he gets sick.

I had success with this method with a foster dog I had. I also fed him in the truck in his crate with the truck running.

I also give my dog gingersnap cookies before we go anywhere - with real ginger!

Mikko2

Post by Mikko2 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 am

No it is in crate below small tinted window in back seat of truck.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 am

I get car sick when in anything that moves.
Other than medication , the key is to sit in such a place so as to be able to see the horizon out the front window. If you can see the horizon , it stabilizes the ear motion and no sickness. Consider letting him ride in the front seat with a harness.

"
Mikko2Rank: Just A Pup Posts: 2Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:35 pm" worst possible spot
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 am

I agree with Sharon 100%. Did that with my daughter when she was young. Looking out the side window only was a problem.

I would search YOUTUBE.com for videos on techniques for dealing with car sick pups. If you take it slowly I believe you can make car/truck travel much better.

I wouldn't be in to much hurry to take him with you to work until he has a few more shots. Also I would only introduce him to safe easy going & healthy dogs.

Socialization is very important just don't over do it to soon.

MikeB

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Sharon wrote:I get car sick when in anything that moves.
Other than medication , the key is to sit in such a place so as to be able to see the horizon out the front window. If you can see the horizon , it stabilizes the ear motion and no sickness. Consider letting him ride in the front seat with a harness.

"
Mikko2Rank: Just A Pup Posts: 2Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:35 pm" worst possible spot
Yep I went through that too and you are right about sitting in the front seat where you can see forward. Too bad that isn't true with our dogs. I have two that ride beautifully in a crate but slobber all over if they are in the front seat. I can usually get them down on the floor and they do better.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Make or buy candied ginger. I had a JR that did it for years but he if she had a piece of candied ginger before the ride she stopped. Not ginger candy, but candied ginger.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:38 pm

[quote="Sharon"]I get car sick when in anything that moves.

me too, i have to see where i'm going not sure it will help the dog but sure works on humans

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:27 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:
Sharon wrote:I get car sick when in anything that moves.

me too, i have to see where i'm going not sure it will help the dog but sure works on humans
You never get motion sickness when you are at the controls. We used to fight that with air sickness with a lot of my students but never when they were actually flying the plane. Same with a car.

Ezzy

Mikko2

Post by Mikko2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:47 am

Seeing outside when the pup is only foot tall is impossible unless I built platform to put in his kennel. Rather not mess with his kennel because it is his comfort spot. On other hand I had him in car on and off all day yesterday and this a.m. Things are getting g better. He is still drooling a bit but hasn't puked in his last 3 short truck rides.

Thanks everyone

Mikko2

Post by Mikko2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Update: for future users who search for this topic

After 20 car rides the pup turned the corner. Is now 8.5 weeks and been doing fine in truck. My suggestion to People without same pro lem is to give them lots of rides and let their body work it out.

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Give him a high quality ginger capsule and a cinnamon capsule before going on a car ride, you may have to give him two of each. Ginger and cinnamon are great for dogs who get car sick, both calm down the dog, relax the dog and keep the dog from getting sick.

Another recommendation is a Thudershirt. Even thought the Thundershirt is used as an anxiety repeller against storms, it works great for dogs who get car sick.