rear dew claw

nanney1

rear dew claw

Post by nanney1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:25 am

My Bernese has a rear dew claw that was either: not removed as an infant, a double dew claw that was missed, or not completely removed and grew back. It was something along those lines as she didn't have any on her rear legs when we brought her home, but within the first week or two we noticed one.

Within the last week, she has caught it on something. It's been hard to get a look at, as she has always been sensitive around the area where dewclaw is and is even more so now that it is injured. My son got a look at it last night and said it looked a little swollen and I noticed her licking the area.

I have her an appointment with my vet today to get it looked at.

For those that have dealt with this before, what is the common course of treatment? I guess it's dependent on the severity of the injury but just wondered what others had done.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: rear dew claw

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Removing it is not a cheap procedure as the dog has to be put under for the surgery. After that it is just regular wound care.

If you are leaving the dew claw, antibiotics and wound care will be a regular part of your life.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nanney1

Re: rear dew claw

Post by nanney1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:45 am

It had simply got too long and had grabbed or pulled on something, causing the bleeding and swelling. My vet snipped it and gave her some antibiotics.