What NOT to eat

Jrclmn18

What NOT to eat

Post by Jrclmn18 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:04 am

I think it may be benificial to collect a list of commonly encountered food and non-food items that our dogs should not eat.
I'll start... Xylitol, commonly found in gum as an artificial sweetener. Can be toxic in even small amounts.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: What NOT to eat

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:37 am

The AVMA has a free downloadable pdf brochure entitled Household Hazards on their site.

Also, www.petpoisonhelpline.com has a lot of good and accurate information on foods, medications, plants and other hazards.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 am

This list is extensive. Looks good but I see some common drugs listed that I dispense for vet use quite frequently. I think I am looking for a more consice listing of items commonly encountered by the dogs we hunt with. Especially the foods and drinks we may carry with us and the North American plants encountered on hunts.

AG74

Post by AG74 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 am

Jrclmn18 wrote:I think it may be benificial to collect a list of commonly encountered food and non-food items that our dogs should not eat.
I'll start... Xylitol, commonly found in gum as an artificial sweetener. Can be toxic in even small amounts.
Great idea - I often wonder about all the little secret things that are bad for dogs that you wouldn't normally think of.

I've heard grapes/raisins are real bad (kidney problems/failure?) and coffee grounds, too. Pond water with Blue--Green Algae....?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:42 am

It depends on the amount in almost all instances. One grape is not going to kill your dog; milk chocolate is not a problem; real , expensive chocolate is.
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Making a list from internet posts is a guaranteed way to insure it will have no validity. Just look at all of the old wife's tales that abound in the dog food world and the complete misinformation on every dog food interenet rating.

Sounds nice but when professionals don't seem to know, what chance is there that any list would be valid.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Cocoa, in higher grade dark chocolate, is a problem because of the greater caffeine content... So I've read. I would then assume that any other high caffeine product would be an issue. Keep your red bulls close. :mrgreen:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Jrclmn18 wrote:Cocoa, in higher grade dark chocolate, is a problem because of the greater caffeine content... So I've read. I would then assume that any other high caffeine product would be an issue. Keep your red bulls close. :mrgreen:
Theobromine is the component of most concern. Also found in cocoa mulch.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:22 pm

For the skeptics, we all are aware that anything on an Internet forum is quite possibly junk. The intent was not to establish a post of peer reviewed clinical data on documented canine toxicity from A to Z. Everything is taken as is and is evaluated on an individual basis. That being said, maybe the question should have been... What would you NOT feed YOUR dog or what, if you knew was around, would make you keep a closer watch on YOUR dog. IMHO, there is not a better place to gather rough warning than a very large group of well rounded, like minded, dog owners.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Jrclmn18 wrote:For the skeptics, we all are aware that anything on an Internet forum is quite possibly junk. The intent was not to establish a post of peer reviewed clinical data on documented canine toxicity from A to Z. Everything is taken as is and is evaluated on an individual basis. That being said, maybe the question should have been... What would you NOT feed YOUR dog or what, if you knew was around, would make you keep a closer watch on YOUR dog. IMHO, there is not a better place to gather rough warning than a very large group of well rounded, like minded, dog owners.
Agreed 100%.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:03 pm

wems2371 wrote:
Jrclmn18 wrote:For the skeptics, we all are aware that anything on an Internet forum is quite possibly junk. The intent was not to establish a post of peer reviewed clinical data on documented canine toxicity from A to Z. Everything is taken as is and is evaluated on an individual basis. That being said, maybe the question should have been... What would you NOT feed YOUR dog or what, if you knew was around, would make you keep a closer watch on YOUR dog. IMHO, there is not a better place to gather rough warning than a very large group of well rounded, like minded, dog owners.
Agreed 100%.
Agree but you won't find a well rounded, like minded,group of :wink: dog owners on here.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:10 pm

I think we are "well rounded" and agree on more than we differ. We agree on the important things about training dogs. Techniques will vary based on our experiences.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Sharon wrote:I think we are "well rounded" and agree on more than we differ. We agree on the important things about training dogs. Techniques will vary based on our experiences.
Yeah,,, just look at the "Beer" thread... :mrgreen: and my wife says I'm quite round thank you... really tho... like anything else... Use the info with a health dose of skepticism, and comon sense... but it's still a good idea.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

desertcountrygsp

Post by desertcountrygsp » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Well said. Take what fits and use it. Dont like it, keep it to yourself! :mrgreen:
But seriously, this thread should remain at the top! Great idea

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Raw Salmon for sure...
now what I don't get, is can they have cooked? Can they have raw fresh water trout? Steelhead?

None of these I would intentionally feed my dog anyhow but curious minds prevail :D
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:33 am

With game meats the rule of thumb is a good freeze for one month will kill parasites with in the meat and then it is ok to feed it to your pet. Cooking meats tends to take a great deal of the value of feeding the meat to the dog, i.e., many factors are broken down that benefit the dogs' health like growth factors, some of the proteins and the like. Meats from the stores that you would buy are typically not a risk for parasite transmission to dogs, not even swine these days. The way trichinosis is mainly spread today is from wild animals to humans and dogs, such as feeding polar bears or seals to your dog. So you best not do that with out cooking the seal next time you set up a big dish of that vittle for your dog.

Bad stuff not to feed your dog today from the table are raisins, grapes, onions, bakers chocolate, xylitol sweetener(mainly in chewing gum products but is in other stuff). There are a number of plants but that depends on where you live. Depending on your views, you may or may not want to feed pieces of Rush to your dog.

This is an internet forum, so take with a grain of salt. You can find any answer out there if you look hard enough, so buyer beware.

Spike

Post by Spike » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Folks,

I'm neither an animal nutritionist nor a vet but I do own some books on animal nutrition written by folks who are animal nutritionists and vets.
Here's a scan from "Canine and Feline Nutrition, 3rd edition" by Case, Daristoltle, Hayek and Raasch.
Untitled-1.jpg
Cheers,
Spike

Edit: I also found this about raisins and grapes: http://www.cindybrody.com/emergencies/dog_toxins.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Spike on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spike Cover

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:28 am

SHORTFAT wrote:
Sharon wrote:I think we are "well rounded" and agree on more than we differ. We agree on the important things about training dogs. Techniques will vary based on our experiences.
Yeah,,, just look at the "Beer" thread... :mrgreen: and my wife says I'm quite round thank you... really tho... like anything else... Use the info with a health dose of skepticism, and comon sense... but it's still a good idea.

+1 ! Say what you want about the wife and kids but don't say anything about a mans dog !

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Rocks and sticks ... although my older dog seems to be ok with the the younger one, NOT AT ALL! I sure hope he grows out of it. That and the poop! GEEZZZZ!

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:58 pm

I always thought pork, but I learned on this site, and a new vet that it is ok... but as long as we mentioned family and what the dog eats in the same thread... My son is 16... when he was about 3 months old, I brought home a lab puppy... well at about 6 months, he (the dog, not my son) chewed a pair of my mother in laws slippers... I swear, it's been 16 stinkin' years... the blessed old boy (again, the dog, not my son) has been gone for the last 2... and I STILL hear about those smelly slippers every time she comes to visit!.. so... the moral of the story is... don't let your dog eat your mother in laws slippers!!! :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:39 am

On that note... I have a buddy with a lab that just loves the ladies...I can assume this because any time there are a pair of panties on the ground he is sure to gobble them up. Not just chew them but eat them in their entirety. He may be broken of this now, but the worst was just after my friend had been married. We were still in college and they went home for the weekend. The day after they returned home, the dog left a land mine in the yard. Upon closer examination, there was something pink rising from the center. My buddies wife turned Sherlock Holmes and proceeded to investigate. Sure enough she found a pair of lacy pink panties.... they were not her's. Wow... two months married and another woman's delicates. Not the best for my buddy. Good ending though, they turned out to be his sisters. The dog had snatched them while at his parents house over the weekend. So, don't let your dog eat panties, especially if they are owned by another than your wife.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:31 pm

I dont know about the chocolate and caffine, my dog used to drink iced mochas whenever someone set one down. and he lived for a long time, till he decided it was fun to play chicken with a car. I regularly feed my dog snickers when we are out hunting to give them a little more energy.

Dieseldog8

Post by Dieseldog8 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Ooo I got one a corn cob my lab got ahold of one at 9 months well after $4000 worth of surgery never even mention corn around me.... Stuck in his digestive tract. No bueno haha

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:05 am

How come garbage rooting strays never die from this stuff?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:38 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:How come garbage rooting strays never die from this stuff?
Because they don't have someone telling them what to eat and not eat probably. Between the dogs and squirrels our yard is full of cobs that they have eaten the corn off.

Ezzy

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 am

Man, I swore I heard that corn was toxic to dogs.............sorry, just kidding...... we need another dog food thread.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:54 am

CHJIII wrote:Man, I swore I heard that corn was toxic to dogs.............sorry, just kidding...... we need another dog food thread.
I've heard that too. You think another one would do it?

Ezzy

Spike

Post by Spike » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:55 pm

I found this blurb about grapes... Spike

PS, here's the link: http://www.ivis.org/advances/knight2/Vi ... r.asp?LA=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Spike on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spike Cover

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:52 am

like some of you said, it will take a lot to kill a dog, but real "bakers" unsweetened chocolate is the bad stuff
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Rdfhunter

Post by Rdfhunter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Why no onions?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Rdfhunter wrote:Why no onions?
Onion toxicity causes a Heinz body anemia. Heinz bodies are small bubble-like projections which protrude from a red blood cell and can be seen when the cells are stained. This "bubble" is a weak spot in the red blood cell and, therefore, the cell has a decreased life-span and ruptures prematurely.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Rdfhunter

Post by Rdfhunter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Never knew that ... Thank you

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:10 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:How come garbage rooting strays never die from this stuff?
Because no one notices when the one in 10,000 of the garbage rooting strays dies.