Skin disorder Mange? allergy?

jack b.

Skin disorder Mange? allergy?

Post by jack b. » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:22 am

23 month old black lab. 6 months ago he developes patches of hair loss. Mostly chest, elbows, knees, some face, ears not obviously involved. Hair seems oily. Treated first with keflex, prednisone 2 weeks, no response. We saw vet dermatologist. Skin scraping negative. Changed diet from Diamond Premium (chiken byproducts, egg protein, wheat etc.) to venison and potato preparation from the vet. Simultaneously, was put on ivermectin, oral for 4 weeks. Condition slowly RESOLVED over next 6 weeks. For past 4-5 weeks it has returned, first with a 3 inch patch of hair loss on mid back and similar patch on chest. Now is returning to other areas as well. Does not seem to have excessive itching or scratching. Have switched to salmon diet for past 2 weeks but see no improvement. Dog lives outside in clean pen and seems otherwise healthy and active. Sure would like to resolve the problem. Getting ready for hunting season. Any suggestions?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:53 am

sounds suspiciously like demodectic mange. vet should be able to diagnose that, though:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:56 pm

tough to tell...I would not rule either out ....just because you get negative scrapes a few times doesn't mean it still could not be mange.

on the other hand I was just reading up on a fungi which has some same symptoms which can come from a fungi in houseplants or potting soils

I would ask the vet to show you how to do some scrapings so any time you see a new dry flakey area you can scrape it to keep testing for the ever elusive mange mite and maybe try a process of elimination as not all allregies are food related
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:32 pm

sounds like mange and resolved after dog was put on ivomec..... my money is on mange. put the dog on the ivomec again and see what happens. i cant believe your vet put the dog on steroids without doing a skin scrape first- lucky the dog had any hair left at all.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:41 am

It could be alopecia areata. I've seen other breeds get it. Humans can also have it (universalis, totalis). Do a google search on it.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:43 pm

I have to vote for mange as well.

Also...check and see if EGGS are in all of the foods you are feeding.....They are one of the biggest reasons for allergic reactions.

tfbirddog2

Skin?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:06 am

I would vote for the mange like wagonmaster said, two of my dogs had it well actually one dog was give to me with it and spread it to the other one and not to the lab.I did the skin scrape on the one and found the mange.The two gsps were on 1cc of Ivomec twice aday with cimedadine to protect there stomachs for three months then the vet scraped them again and if it came back negative they had to stay on the meds for three more months.The dog that contracted the mange from my new one was negative after amonth but the dog that brought it was not negative till three months after my old dog.I would almost bet that is what your dog has.I did have to keep my lab away from the two gsps for 7 months til all was negative.it really wasnt bad to treat but was a little pricy for 7 months of Ivomec $100 for whole big bottle that lasted me the whole time.That was 2 years ago and all is good.any questions please pm me anytime.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy