Frontline plus.... AND a flea tick collar?

C.painter

Frontline plus.... AND a flea tick collar?

Post by C.painter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:13 am

OK so I live in WI, a HOTBED for tick issues. I put frontline plus on my 10week old pup a week and a half ago. Per my Breeder he suggested I even put a little dap on the inside flap of each ear to help with the head area. Last night I got in with her after a walk in the woods and she had a tick attached on the outside of her ear.

My buddy suggested when I run her outside to also put a flea and tick collar on.

Anyone else do this? Suggest it?? Any brand ??

(a pic of Ellies first boat ride just for fun :D )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Frontline plus.... AND a flea tick collar?

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:37 am

An effective tick collar is too strong for that pup. Use a non-residual spray, LIGHTLY, as a repellant before outings and check her afterward.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:02 pm

I've been using Advantix for 16 years and have never seen a flea/tick on my dogs. The product kills the fleas/ticks before they can suck blood and get attached.

http://www.animalhealth.bayerhealthcare.com/5614.0.htm

I wouldn't put any extra drops of anything on my dogs. Follow the directions exactly as "extra" is very toxic. Don't use Advantix and a flea collar etc...
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:26 pm

A light spritz of Apple cider Vinegar and water will help repel ticks and will not hurt the pup. I use it a bunch on my dogs and seems to work pretty well. It will not kill any ticks or fleas but works well at repelling them. If a tick does bite, the front;ine takes care of them. Frontline works, but not as a repellant. The flea or tick has to bite the dog first. The tick you found may have just bitten in and not dropped off yet.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:49 pm

We just switched the gun dogs to Certifect (http://www.certifect.com). After finding some ticks alive, well, and feeding a week after treatment with Frontline Plus last fall, our vet recommended Certifect. They don't carry K9 Advantix, but said they would get it for us if we wanted it. But we have 7 dogs, and we get 2 free doses when we buy 6 so the Certifect won out.

So far it's working pretty good.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:24 am

nj gsp wrote:We just switched the gun dogs to Certifect (http://www.certifect.com). After finding some ticks alive, well, and feeding a week after treatment with Frontline Plus last fall, our vet recommended Certifect. They don't carry K9 Advantix, but said they would get it for us if we wanted it. But we have 7 dogs, and we get 2 free doses when we buy 6 so the Certifect won out.

So far it's working pretty good.
Interesting, Frontline with Amitraz.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 am

C.painter wrote:OK so I live in WI, a HOTBED for tick issues. I put frontline plus on my 10week old pup a week and a half ago. Per my Breeder he suggested I even put a little dap on the inside flap of each ear to help with the head area. Last night I got in with her after a walk in the woods and she had a tick attached on the outside of her ear.

My buddy suggested when I run her outside to also put a flea and tick collar on.

Anyone else do this? Suggest it?? Any brand ??
We live in FL & constantly run our GSPs in conservation areas, field trial grounds, etc. that are flea/tick heaven. We use K9 Advantix II and have never had an issue, even when other dogs they have run with come back with 6+ ticks on them.

Frankly, several doggie daycares & boarding facilities down here no longer consider Frontline as effective.

FWIW,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:21 pm

My vet has moved me from Frontline to Certfect.

Just put it on them today.

Been pulling ticks off of them and me for about 3 weeks now.

I tried PetArmor from Walmart last year ( Frontline clone ) worked OK , just decided to support my vet, Good guy

Carl

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:27 am

Soooooo many products out there, amitraz is the no one killer for ticks, fleas, mites etc.IMO :D

Collars I do not use anymore since the scare on them causing cancer and has a affect on their scenting abbilty.
Now I use ectodex or dazzel product we get in SA, amitraz based. Certain areas of our country we havd lots of ticks and some even leave a life long scar, the flesh rots away for weaks and leave a big hole were the tic bit.

So I mix stronger mix for adult dogs and after rainy season, and spray them with a spray bottle before I go to the veld/woods. High seaon I spray them twice a week !

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:23 pm

My vet told me that in some areas of the country ticks have developed a tollerance for Fipronil which is the active ingredient in Frontline thus rendering it less effective. He said it hasn't been a problem in our area YET and if it wasn't working for me to try something with permethrin.

I remember the first tick Killer I used. I'm not sure it's even available any more. I don't recall the brand but it really killed the ticks. Unfortunately it didn't repel them and dead ticks littered our floor. When I switched to frontline we rarely found any dead ticks but occasionally found live ones that had dropped off the dog. It seemed to repel them better even than the original brand. Even with frontline I will find an odd tick attached but not near the numbers on an untreated dog. Dosing can be an issue though. I found I rarely got more than 3 weeks out of a dose even if the dog was in the middle of the dose weight range.

I have just made a habit of checking my dogs (Springer) ears daily. This has helped me avoid other ear problems too.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 am

We used Vectra 3D last year and didnt find a single tick on the dog, although a few on myself. At least that tick remover I bought is getting some usage somewhere...lol. I grew up in the woods, and never had a tick attached to me till a few years ago, now it seems like all the time.

-John