Post by cgbirddogs » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:17 pm

a pregnant female?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: can you worm....

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:59 am

yes
Safeguard is safe for pregnant dogs
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm

kninebirddog wrote:yes
Safeguard is safe for pregnant dogs
This is true, I usually worm with Panacur (same thing) about half way through gestation. I also continue with ivomec monthly while preagnant.

cgbirddogs

Post by cgbirddogs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:39 pm

What dose of ivomec are you using per pound?

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:57 am

The dose I give is .1 cc per 10 lbs year round. If you are giving ivomectin for heartworms only it is a smaller dose yet.

I use to use the ivomec .27% (basically 1/4 the strength as the 1%) but they quit making it. It was alot easier to measure and give to smaller dogs. I believe my dose on it was .5 cc per 20 lbs.

Below is a copy and paste from another website. I agree with most, but I have noticed fewer ticks since I started using it.

In the mid-1980's, ivermectin was introduced as probably the most broad-spectrum anti-parasite medication ever. It is effective against most common intestinal worms (except tapeworms), most mites, and some lice. It is not effective against fleas, ticks, flies, or flukes. It is effective against larval heartworms (the "microfilariae" that circulate in the blood) but not against adult heartworms (that live in the heart and pulmonary
arteries), though technically it can shorten their lifespan.