Raw food diet

pudeltopointer

Raw food diet

Post by pudeltopointer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Does Anyone one here do the raw food diet for there dogs? To me it makes total sense. Also just wondering if anyone would think it would cause a problem with my dog thinking the bird i just shot was his meal? if you dont no what i am talking about gogle it raw pet diet,barf or meaty bone diet.

Susie

Re: Raw food diet

Post by Susie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Been feeding raw for a long time. Never had an issue with any of the dogs thinking a bird was dinner.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:12 pm

If you just add raw green tripe and some chicken necks to a good kibble you will do your dog a lot of good.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:53 pm

My sister feeds her two GSP's a raw diet and I've tried it with one of our pointers. Absolutely no problem with them thinking birds are "lunch." Of course you'll do your research into how to feed raw - there are several groups you could join.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 pm

For you guys that do feed raw, what does it cost per day? ( on average )

pudeltopointer

Post by pudeltopointer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:26 pm

Yup i started it today just with some raw chicken quarters got ten pounds for ten dollars what else should i add was going to hit up the butcher shop as well to she what scrape they had do you all do veggies to?

pudeltopointer

Post by pudeltopointer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:27 pm

i mean ten pound for eight dollars

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Chexk out Dr. Karen Becker's suggestions on her FB page and at www.mercola.com.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:49 am

The most economical way to feed raw is to use chicken necks and backs as the core of the diet, 50%

The the rest a mix of things like heart, green tripe, small amounts of liver, eggs and some veggies like carrots, string beans, peas, etc
Last edited by mcbosco on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 am

pudeltopointer wrote:i mean ten pound for eight dollars

check out Blue Ridge Beef:

http://www.blueridgebeef.com/

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 am

pudeltopointer wrote:Yup i started it today just with some raw chicken quarters got ten pounds for ten dollars what else should i add was going to hit up the butcher shop as well to she what scrape they had do you all do veggies to?
Hope you didn't just drop the kibble and go cold turkey on just raw chicken. You really need to come up with a nutritional plan if your going to feed raw and not just throw your dog a meaty bone!

Angus

Post by Angus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:20 am

Susie wrote:
pudeltopointer wrote:Yup i started it today just with some raw chicken quarters got ten pounds for ten dollars what else should i add was going to hit up the butcher shop as well to she what scrape they had do you all do veggies to?
Hope you didn't just drop the kibble and go cold turkey on just raw chicken. You really need to come up with a nutritional plan if your going to feed raw and not just throw your dog a meaty bone!

Agreed. A comprehensive feeding plan should be used to make sure that your dog is getting all of the stuff they need.

I find quality kibble much more convenient.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:28 am

Unless you have scales, a laboratory, and a whole lot of time and money you will end up with a poorer diet than feeding a prepared dry food. Raw is fine if you are a nutrtionist but the lack of consistance and a balanced diet will undo all of the advantages in the long run.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:11 am

Amen on doing your research. My sister gives vitamins, green leafy stuff, veggies, eggs, etc. to supplement the chicken parts and deer meat. It's a PIA if you ask me - but she likes doing it and the dogs seem to really do well on her raw diet program. But be sure you follow a program, just raw meat will not be near enough.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:36 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Unless you have scales, a laboratory, and a whole lot of time and money you will end up with a poorer diet than feeding a prepared dry food. Raw is fine if you are a nutrtionist but the lack of consistance and a balanced diet will undo all of the advantages in the long run.

Ezzy

It takes some thought and time but it can be done easily without the equipment and Phd. I would use kibble as a base and add green tripe, some chicken necks or backs and maybe some beef heart.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:00 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Unless you have scales, a laboratory, and a whole lot of time and money you will end up with a poorer diet than feeding a prepared dry food. Raw is fine if you are a nutrtionist but the lack of consistance and a balanced diet will undo all of the advantages in the long run.

Ezzy
Exactly!
It takes some thought and time but it can be done easily without the equipment and Phd. I would use kibble as a base and add green tripe, some chicken necks or backs and maybe some beef heart.
That may be, but I think the OP is talking about doing away with kibble altogether.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:23 pm

birddogger wrote:

Ezzy
Exactly!
That may be, but I think the OP is talking about doing away with kibble altogether.

Charlie
Yes I saw, but it can be done well 100% raw with some thought and preparation. With the information available nowadays it is just a matter of taking the time. The raw materials to do it well and in a cost effective manner may not be available that easily everywhere though. Unless you can buy necks and backs in 25lb or 50lb boxes and get green tripe, then it would be hard to feed all raw well and at a reasonable cost.

Since raw feeding became mainstream, dry foods have become much better and there are many choices that are very similar to raw. Just look at the Back to Basics formulas that came out last year. Interesting food.

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:26 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Unless you have scales, a laboratory, and a whole lot of time and money you will end up with a poorer diet than feeding a prepared dry food. Raw is fine if you are a nutrtionist but the lack of consistance and a balanced diet will undo all of the advantages in the long run. Ezzy
JMO feeding a dog a raw diet isn't rocket science...it just takes good ol common sense. When my kids started eating solid foods I didn't have a nutritionist LOL and we couldn't afford to buy prepared foods...believe it or not they both grew up to be healthy adults LOL Granted, I may spend time on grinding and packaging but I enjoy being in the kitchen. As for feeding a poorer diet I highly doubt that...tell me where the ingredients came from in your dogs kibble.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Susie wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Unless you have scales, a laboratory, and a whole lot of time and money you will end up with a poorer diet than feeding a prepared dry food. Raw is fine if you are a nutrtionist but the lack of consistance and a balanced diet will undo all of the advantages in the long run. Ezzy
JMO feeding a dog a raw diet isn't rocket science...it just takes good ol common sense. When my kids started eating solid foods I didn't have a nutritionist LOL and we couldn't afford to buy prepared foods...believe it or not they both grew up to be healthy adults LOL Granted, I may spend time on grinding and packaging but I enjoy being in the kitchen. As for feeding a poorer diet I highly doubt that...tell me where the ingredients came from in your dogs kibble.
Agree 100%, especially if you use a decent vitamin & mineral mix until you get into the groove. Then it is quite easy. The mistake people make is that they believe muscle meat is the foundation of the diet and not things like chicken backs or necks. Feeding a lot of muscle meat, especially red meat, is a bad idea, for a pup for sure. Tripe is ideal because it is so well balanced.

pudeltopointer

Post by pudeltopointer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:22 am

Ezzy i spend countless training a few extra spent researching and knowing what I am feeding should hurt me to bad

pudeltopointer

Post by pudeltopointer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:22 am

I plan on starting with chicken mixed with kibble than mixing in beef and pork and some organs beef livers hearts and such it my be a lil tuff but I get 18 years like some people in the group out of my pup it should be worth it

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:52 am

pudeltopointer wrote:I plan on starting with chicken mixed with kibble than mixing in beef and pork and some organs beef livers hearts and such it my be a lil tuff but I get 18 years like some people in the group out of my pup it should be worth it
Use a light hand with liver. The grinds I gave you a link to are very good, and don't forget the green tripe.

pudeltopointer

Post by pudeltopointer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:18 am

Where do you get green tripe?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 am

pudeltopointer wrote:Where do you get green tripe?
That company Blue Ridge Beef has about 20 dealers in North Carolina. Should be a piece of cake for you. All you do is let that frozen roll soften a bit, then slice it into disks and then put it back in the freezer. Feed a couple 1 inch wide disks of that stuff a day.

pudeltopointer

Post by pudeltopointer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:14 am

Nice!! Yes i found a place right here in town Thank You!! Only wish i knew about this sooner! At what age did you start your dogs on this diet?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:18 pm

pudeltopointer wrote:Nice!! Yes i found a place right here in town Thank You!! Only wish i knew about this sooner! At what age did you start your dogs on this diet?
Mine was weaned on to tripe and kibble. These are good products but they are not complete, so stay with a good kibble as a base.

Buy the largest logs they sell and slice them and store in the freezer. Only let them defrost enough to get a knife through them.

One other thing, green tripe smells really really bad, like a pickled road kill, so don't worry about feeding it.

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:56 pm

I tell myself I am feeding a raw diet. I scoop it out of the bag and feed it without cooking it. :lol:
Sure I joke, but I truly believe my time with the dogs can be better spent than shopping and cooking for them.

Susie

Post by Susie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Ralph Ford wrote:Sure I joke, but I truly believe my time with the dogs can be better spent than shopping and cooking for them.
It's raw...you don't have to cook it 8)

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:23 pm

From the Abady website:
In the 50s, the largest producer of dry diets circulated an absurd notion that dogs consumed mostly the plant matter contained in the internal organs of their prey, justifying the production of kibble composed mostly of highly processed grain. This mistake is now being applied to try to justify the use of voluminous amounts of raw vegetables which are included in today’s raw diets. Grain can be used by dogs if it is highly processed. Raw vegetables cannot, regardless of whether they are masticated by the animal or ground mechanically. In addition, the pulp produced is not suitable to the feeding of carnivores.
If you look at the ingredients found in today's commercial raw, I find the above quote to be true. If you are a raw feeder and adding raw vegetables you may want to someday reevaluate the plan IMO.
A good bird dog is always the right color

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:00 am

claybuster_aa wrote:From the Abady website:
In the 50s, the largest producer of dry diets circulated an absurd notion that dogs consumed mostly the plant matter contained in the internal organs of their prey, justifying the production of kibble composed mostly of highly processed grain. This mistake is now being applied to try to justify the use of voluminous amounts of raw vegetables which are included in today’s raw diets. Grain can be used by dogs if it is highly processed. Raw vegetables cannot, regardless of whether they are masticated by the animal or ground mechanically. In addition, the pulp produced is not suitable to the feeding of carnivores.
If you look at the ingredients found in today's commercial raw, I find the above quote to be true. If you are a raw feeder and adding raw vegetables you may want to someday reevaluate the plan IMO.
Clay, except that dogs fed raw, especially those on chicken parts can get constipated from the bone.

Some form of vegetable or fruit like apple is just used as fiber and this would be consistent with what goes on in nature. "Voluminous" is not the idea.