flea and tick products

dougroch

flea and tick products

Post by dougroch » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Took my 5 month old britt pup out today on a off season scouting/training trip on some new quail ground. Great day in the field, we jumped 6 coveys in 4 hours with pup finding all but 1 of them. No solid points yet but he is still young, right now I am just happy that he is finding birds. Since we have been back home this evening I have spent no less than an hour with wiggling pup being held down on the kitchen table by my wife while I searched him for ticks with a flashlight and a pair of tweezers. Have pulled at least 30 ticks off of him and doubt I got them all but we just couldn't keep him still on the table any longer. So its off to the petstore in the morning for flea/tick shampoo and then a bath for pup after work tomorrow. What really bothers me though is the fact that his flea/tick treatment didn't seem to work. I have been using Frontline since February and even gave him a dose on Wednesday, a week early, in anticipation of this trip. He did get somewhat wet friday night as he went outside during a downpour but the Frontline packaging says that water doesn't affect it. I definitely won't be buying frontline again. Any recommendations on flea/tick products? I plan on more of these type hunts before it gets too hot but really want to avoid the tick pulling sessions. Would I be better off with an old fashioned flea/tick collar?

dog dr

Re: flea and tick products

Post by dog dr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 am

Frontline has been around long enough that it is losing effectiveness. I like trifexis for flea and heart worm, but for ticks I use a preventive collar.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:26 am

advantix k-9 works.
i also spray my dog BEFORE he hunts with tick spray .sadly your dog will get LYMES. it will happen no matter howhard we try to kill ticks.
get LYMES SHOT yearly i believe is good BUT it could show a false positive on lymes.
my lab has lymes and its affecting his joints bigtime and his KIDNEYS.

UP TO 1500 IN VET BILLS THIS YEAR ALONE SO FAR TRYING TO STOP IT.
if you hunt a lot ,your dog is going to get lymes.
sad ending isnt it. :(

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 am

I use the bio spot and have for years, Works every time. I also spray a kennel dip on the trees aand shrubs around the farm and spray bug free backyard on about 4 acres it works for a month, put it on the hose turn it on and spray the grass, trees and such to keep the many blood suckers off the place so nights are spent on the deck listening to the critteers talk. No skeeters to disrupt the night.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:21 am

Frontline does seem to be losing effectiveness. I still use it along with Comfortis for fleas. Every now and then I'll find a tick on my dogs crawling around, but have not found any bitten in. They also get a monthly dose of Ivermectin for worms, and that may help with the ticks as well.

I like to spray the dogs down with a water/cider vinegar mix before going into the fields. This seems to repel the ticks pretty well.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:34 pm

I use Frontline on both of my dogs. It kills the ticks after they bite.

But I really want something that repels them. The dogs are bringing ticks into the house after I take them for a run or train. My wife hates the tick collars. The dang ticks are really bad this spring.

Was thinking about Advantix rather that frontline. Anyone used both?
Steve

Jagter_GSP

Post by Jagter_GSP » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Try ask your vets for Certifect. New on the market and works well for ticks. Biggests difference to Frontline is it quick action against ticks