What kind of food?

Ghosted3

What kind of food?

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:52 pm

As the topic states, what kind of food do you feed your pups / dog(s)? I have always went with science diet or eukanuba with all of my dogs, but this coming pup is going to be my first bird dog, so I wanted to know if those are ok or if I should switch to Diamond or some other brand.

Thanks
Corry

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: What kind of food?

Post by mcbosco » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:56 am

Eukanuba would be a good choice. There are several Eukanuba formulas that fit the bill but both Eukanuba and Pro Plan are priced very high where I live and generally not a good value compared to other brands. Given the price of fuel, it is best to buy what is convenient for you. Science Diet would be a big no for me given the cost and quality of the stuff.

Sporting dogs don't need a special brand, like you suggested with Diamond, rather they need foods with a little more GO in them.

The choice depends on your budget and availability.

Of the "value brands" I think Pro Pac is the best one out there. Great quality, simple food and good results. It is not as cheap as Diamond but the quality control is much better and the coupons and frequent buyer program are good. Nutrisource and Fromm make good foods too and they are probably easy to get where you live since they are both made in the midwest. Nutrisource has a really good choice of formulas as does Eagle Pack.

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:09 am

Propac does indeed have tons of calories per cup. I wish they listed calories per pound, as that's how I make comparisons.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:48 am

Ralph, the calories listed have to be Gross Calories, still it is a solid choice.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Proplan Performance ( Purina)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Of the two you mentioned, Eukanuba is a "no brainer" Just my opinion, but SD is one of two brands that will never see the inside of my house. I currently feed Eagle
Pack Power Formula (30/20 with chicken meal #1 ingrediant. pork meal #4 and anchouvy & sardine meal #7). Cost is about the same as Euk here in Texas, maybe a bit less. As I have mentioned before, the trainer that works my dogs that I hold in very high regard feeds Pro Pac. I would guess, more people feed Purina Pro Plan than any other feed to their sporting dogs. Too many choice's. If your dog's have done well on Euk and cost is not an issue, I think I'd stay there. I have hunted with people that have fed Exclusive (pmi mills) and Enchance. Many on this board have had good luck with other brands as well. There are one or two other brands I would personally consider but they are not available anywhere near Texas. Anyway, my dogs do very well on Eagle Pack. Good luck and all this is just one man's opinion.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Thank you all for the feedback. One of the main reasons I mentioned science diet is because our little dog is on a prescription for of it, so I didnt know if they had a really good version for high energy dogs or not.

Corry

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Check out Loyall. Also, most performance dogs do well on most good feeds.
big steve