some kind of grass travelling through dog"s body?

rollick

some kind of grass travelling through dog"s body?

Post by rollick » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Sorry about the really vague subject line, but I don't know how else to explain it. I seem to recall a discussion(s) on here about grass or grass seeds entering into a dog's body through the nose or eyes and then traveling, say, into the lungs or something? Or causing a weird tumor? Or am I totally making this all up our of broadcloth? I don't even know how to do a search. But I have a weird feeling my mom's dog might be experiencing this. I'll add more details once someone tells me I'm not totally crazy. :? Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: some kind of grass travelling through dog"s body?

Post by shags » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Cheat grass, or any of the species with spearlike seed coverings. Can cause nocardia infection.

http://www.meanseeds.com/nocardia-infec ... bird-dogs/

Mr. JFH

Post by Mr. JFH » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:17 pm

I saw this on t.v. Once, it happened to a older man he was eating peas and one of the peas went down the wrong pipe and ended up in his lung. A few weeks later he was having trouble breathing. Doctors found a plant growing in his lung.....maybe it's the same thing?

rollick

Post by rollick » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Ummm: MrJFH: is that kinda' like what happens if you swallow a watermelon seed? It grows in your stomach? Or are you being serious? Either way, your story is weird but oddly entertaining. :D

Mr. JFH

Post by Mr. JFH » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:17 pm

rollick wrote:Ummm: MrJFH: is that kinda' like what happens if you swallow a watermelon seed? It grows in your stomach? Or are you being serious? Either way, your story is weird but oddly entertaining. :D
Lol I'm serious. I think it has to do with the oxygen and humidity in the lungs. I'll have to find a link and post it.
P.s. Watermelon seeds get digested and don't have a chance to grow in your stomach 

Mr. JFH

Post by Mr. JFH » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Here is the article, I would of posted the link but didn't know how 

Pea Sprout Removed From Massachusetts Man’s Lung

ABC's Claudia Acosta reports from New York: Last June, Ron Sveden, was at Cape Cod Hospital waiting for doctors to tell him what he seemed to be the inevitable: he had lung cancer.  But Sveden got the surprise of his life when doctors removed a one-and-a-half inch long pea plant growing in one of his lungs. A month earlier the 75-year old lifelong smoker began feeling fatigue, loss of appetite and was coughing more.  He had been hospitalized for 10 days before a lung biopsy discovered what was causing his symptoms.  Sveden and his doctors believe that while eating peas, one went into his windpipe, lodged to his lungs and began sprouting.  Sveden does not remember when the incident happened. “It was probably there for quite a while because of its growth status,” Sveden told ABC News. When his doctor gave him the diagnosis Sveden was amused. “It took two minutes for it to sink in and I thought it was quite funny,” said Sveden.  “I giggled.  It was shortly after that I realized it wasn’t cancer and for me, my wife and family, it was quite a relief.” Within days, Sveden’s appetite was back and his other symptoms began to subside.  The hospital staff showed their sense of humor by including peas in one of his first meals. “I laughed,” joked Sveden.  “An then I ate them!” Sveden continues to keep his positive outlook after his unbelievable ordeal. “Right now, I feel great,” he said.  “I feel like raising heck again!” Click here to return to the 'World News' page.

rollick

Post by rollick » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Mr JHF: GACK! Thanks for the nightmares I know will ensue tonight. :lol:

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:04 pm

My EP almost died of a grass seed migrating through her skin and into her lungs. After a whole heck of a lot of misdiagnosis, we finally determined it was an infection in the lungs due to the grass seed- when they went in to put chest tubes in, they pulled out about a beer pitcher full of pus from her lungs. Of course we had to do surgery - she lost most of one lung and all of the "meat" in her chest cavity and almost died twice during the surgery. It was painful and expensive (very expensive). However, she has had another 3 years with us since then and she's doing great still. Even killed our first sage grouse and prairie chickens with her. She was 9 when this happened.

Initial symptoms were listlessness and a recurring infection (fever and just general cruddy feeling). We did several doses of antibiotics, she'd get better, then get worse again. My vet finally gave up and sent me to the vet school. Best money I've ever spent!

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Does Sveden eat (inhale) raw peas? I don't think a cooked pea would be capable of sprouting. SOmeone must be full of "BEANS"! HEHEHE!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Why do u think the dog has a seed. Been to the vet?
brenda

Angus

Post by Angus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Google "grass awn". There are some pretty nasty stories out there. Main culprit seems to be the Wild Rye's in seed mixes.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:22 pm

smoothbean wrote:Does Sveden eat (inhale) raw peas? I don't think a cooked pea would be capable of sprouting. SOmeone must be full of "BEANS"! HEHEHE!
I heard that beer "hops" in your stomach; that's why it makes you nauseous. ( Just kidding you JFH) :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett