5 year old setter, constant quivering, tail tucking

tahi193

5 year old setter, constant quivering, tail tucking

Post by tahi193 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi everyone. We have a 5 year old male setter who has been quivering and keeping his tail tucked for the last couple of days. He usually loves to run but all he can do is stand and walk a little, pretty gingerly. I did a quick search and people mentioned back injuries or a problem with the anal glands. I'm going to get him to the vet tomorrow but in the meantime, any other ideas on what this could be and how to help him?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: 5 year old setter, constant quivering, tail tucking

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Could be anything - bee sting, poison ? Showing symptoms of pain. I'd be seeing my vet to-day.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Angus

Post by Angus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Yeah, I would of had the dog to the vet yesterday. Is there a 24hr clinic to take it to? It really could be anything and only a professional that actually looks and runs tests on the dog can figure it out. Internet speculation isn't going to help. Good luck.

tahi193

Post by tahi193 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:33 pm

I know the Internet can't replace a veterinarian. Just thought someone else might have had a similar problem. He may have pulled a muscle trying to get to a female who was in heat recently or playing with our younger dog who tends to play a little too rough. We will see tomorrow. Anyway, thanks for the responses.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Could be anything ...... I'd check for lyme as well.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:30 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I'd check for lyme as well.
+1 Sounds like the symptoms my girl had. If the vet suggests antibiotics while waiting for the blood tests to come back ask for Doxy. If it's lymes you'll see improvement in a day or two.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 pm

tahi193 wrote:I know the Internet can't replace a veterinarian. Just thought someone else might have had a similar problem. He may have pulled a muscle trying to get to a female who was in heat recently or playing with our younger dog who tends to play a little too rough. We will see tomorrow. Anyway, thanks for the responses.

I would doubt it is a muscle pull. My dogs get muscles pulls and they DON'T act like the dog of which you have spoken.Please let us know what it turns out to be. Good luck.
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:26 pm

I was in a hotel this Spring, and my dog jumped off the bed onto the linoleum floor, and slipped a little bit on the landing. She was very tail tucked and ginger about moving. I'm not sure what she did, whether it be something with a nerve or muscle, but I was worried big time. It appeared to me to be a back issue and not a leg issue. She wouldn't get back on the bed, even though she wanted to, and it was a bear to get her down the stairs to potty that night. And she wouldn't eat, even though she's a chow hound. And this is one tough girl that doesn't stop for anything. I had a Rimadyl in the k9 kit I carry, that I gave her, and she was nearly 100% better 24 hours later. Be it nerve or muscle damage, it knocked her on her butt for a short while.

Hope you get good news at the vets...

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Did u check the temp?
brenda

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:36 pm

Good thought brenda. Tick borne is possibilty for sure. Also could be prostate, or even abscess or lots of stuff. Check temp, gum color, hydration status and report to vet.

tahi193

Post by tahi193 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for the tips and concern. A trip to the vet today revealed that the problem is likely a muscle pull, as we thought. Thanks goodness! Reuben went home with an anti inflammatory to help with pain and swelling. Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Glad you solved the problem. I must say that i am surprised at the diagnosis. When my dogs pull a muscle they just limp some.

tahi193

Post by tahi193 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:24 am

Sharon wrote:Glad you solved the problem. I must say that i am surprised at the diagnosis. When my dogs pull a muscle they just limp some.
The vet seemed to think he pulled the muscles in his abdomen. But yeah, glad it wasn't Lyme disease, etc.! :D