Diamond Extreme Athlete - Tell Me About It

shaneroyce

Diamond Extreme Athlete - Tell Me About It

Post by shaneroyce » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 am

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this food. I currently feed Kirkland (Costco Brand) to my 13 1/2 month old EP and have considered making the switch. He does well on the Costco food, but needs to eat quite a bit to keep weight on (he's running the chukar hills about 30 - 45 miles per week currently). I won't run him as much beginning in the next couple of weeks, but would like to have him eating a very good food and in great shape come this fall. Let's hear your thoughts, experiences, etc. Thanks in advance.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Diamond Extreme Athlete - Tell Me About It

Post by topher40 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:00 am

I just ordered 10 bags, never fed it before but have fed other Diamond products. The gas is the only issue I have had with Diamond products, keeping my fingers crossed that EA doesnt but I am not keeping my fingers crossed....
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:52 am

topher40 wrote:I just ordered 10 bags, never fed it before but have fed other Diamond products. The gas is the only issue I have had with Diamond products, keeping my fingers crossed that EA doesnt but I am not keeping my fingers crossed....
I solved any gas problem I had by cutting back very slightly on the food. I have great results from the Diamond products but then McBosco says I don't care if they live or die so maybr that is why more people feed it than any other feed from what I read.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Will

Post by Will » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:10 pm

I fed it all winter long to my gang and all did well on it. Inconsistent stools from my previous more expensive brand firmed right up and all performed great on it. As hunting and guiding season ended and it warmed up I switched to just the Naturals Chicken & Rice and they never flinched to the change...stayed firm, etc. The EA was just too much for their activity level at that time. I will feed it again this fall when I start conditioning for hunting season.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:27 pm

My dogs do very well on it....gotta start off slow and build to the final ration.

Its a feed I can keep all the dogs weight right where I want it during a long busy season. I also float between the Naturals EA and the Naturals Chix and rice...hope this combo never changes.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:11 pm

It gave my dog the squirts when I tried it. I tried cutting way beack on it but still didn't work . I ended up cutting it with the Iams I started with(with inconsitant stools ) until I found what I feed now. When you talk about what people feed and what works best you tend to ruffle feathers. I guess if you find a feed that does what you want it to do ya better stick with it. It is good to know what other people have had good results with if you are looking for something to try though. it will give you a starting point.

Will

Post by Will » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:13 am

smoothbean wrote:It gave my dog the squirts when I tried it. I tried cutting way beack on it but still didn't work . I ended up cutting it with the Iams I started with(with inconsitant stools ) until I found what I feed now. When you talk about what people feed and what works best you tend to ruffle feathers. I guess if you find a feed that does what you want it to do ya better stick with it. It is good to know what other people have had good results with if you are looking for something to try though. it will give you a starting point.
Yep..just goes to show why we have so many choices. What works for one doesn't for another...or what's perceived as good for one isn't for another, etc.

The feather ruffling is a shame in an open forum where people are simply asking for opinions.

I also agree with "birddog1968" about starting slow and building up....some dogs can't tolerate the big jump in protein and fat found in EA.

Good thread guys!!!
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:20 am

I couldn't handle th "silent but deadlys" my dog was dealing... "The diamond stink"

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:20 am

I feed diamond ea, I mix 1/2 & 1/2 with kirkland puppy food. I use the puppy food is a little higher in protien and fat than the regular kirkland. My GSP's do great on this diet. 1&1/2 cup of each this time of year, 2 cups of each in hunting season.