What to feed a GSP pup?

WillieELk78GSP

What to feed a GSP pup?

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:07 pm

I have recently bought a GSP and am wondering how much and what to feed the puppy? It will be 8 weeks when I get it so I would like to be somewhat prepared. Thanks for the help
God Bless

Ghosted3

Re: What to feed a GSP pup?

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 pm

There is a subject that I started not too long ago about what to feed my pup (once the little bugger is born), and I did receive a lot of good feedback. As to how much, it will say on the bag. It all goes by weight of the pup. Some of the things that were mentioned for me were:
Pro Pac
Purina Pro Plan
Eukanuba
Diamond (but it has been having some recalls lately, I do not know if they were harmful things in the food I just know it was recalled)
There were some more, but I cant remember them off the top of my head.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Thu May 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks that helps alot
God Bless

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:43 pm

WillieELk78GSP wrote:Thanks that helps alot
Any decent quality dog food will do and there are a thousand of them. Just try one and if the pup likes it , it is readily available, and you can afford it you are good to go. Then feed as much as it takes to keep the pup growing without getting fat.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Seems like the majority of people on here usually swear by Pro Plan, Pro Pac, Diamond. Those seem to be the the ones most recommended usually. Like Ezzy said though, there are alot of good brands out there. Try to make sure that its all real products and not alot of substitutes and let the pup enjoy the grub.

Corry

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 11, 2012 6:45 am

WillieELk78GSP wrote:I have recently bought a GSP and am wondering how much and what to feed the puppy? It will be 8 weeks when I get it so I would like to be somewhat prepared. Thanks for the help
There is a happy middle where price and quality are optimized. Spend to little and you actually pay more than you think, spend too much and, well, you just waste money.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri May 11, 2012 8:22 am

willie...

What brand of food is he breeder feeding? I would stick with that for a while as not to add stress to the pups system.

Will

Post by Will » Fri May 11, 2012 9:04 am

MikeB wrote:willie...

What brand of food is he breeder feeding? I would stick with that for a while as not to add stress to the pups system.
+1 This is a good plan if possible. I don't think a change is a huge deal, however, if you stick to whatever you feed.

Lot's of breeders will send a small amount of food with puppy.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Fri May 11, 2012 3:03 pm

I have been feeding my shorthair blue buffalo wilderness since she was 6 weeks old. Its expensive, but she seems to be doing good on it. I would also add 1 tablespoon of whole fat plain yogurt and 1 tablespoon of 4% cottage cheese or higher fat. I talked to a shorthair breeder/trainer and he feeds eagle pack power to his dogs. He has been using eagle pack for over 20 years. I just posted a question about this food so look it up and see what people have to say. Congrats and good luck

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Fri May 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Forgot to mention I switched her from purina puppy chow over a 2 day period and it didnt seem to have any effect on her system.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon May 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Awsome ya I spoke to my breeder and he is feeding Authority Puppy feed so I will stick with that for a week or so it sounds like than I will slowly switch over to Imes dog food. Those are my thought but I am new at this. sound good?
God Bless

KyCountry

Post by KyCountry » Tue May 15, 2012 12:56 am

WillieELk78GSP wrote:Awsome ya I spoke to my breeder and he is feeding Authority Puppy feed so I will stick with that for a week or so it sounds like than I will slowly switch over to Imes dog food. Those are my thought but I am new at this. sound good?
Don't get too caught up in the brand-names. Just make sure it agrees with your pup. I kept my pup on Purina Puppy Chow, which was what the breeder fed, but after reoccurring diarrhea, I finally made the switch to Diamond Puppy and haven't seen a soft stool since.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue May 15, 2012 5:48 pm

KyCountry wrote:
WillieELk78GSP wrote:Awsome ya I spoke to my breeder and he is feeding Authority Puppy feed so I will stick with that for a week or so it sounds like than I will slowly switch over to Imes dog food. Those are my thought but I am new at this. sound good?
Don't get too caught up in the brand-names. Just make sure it agrees with your pup. I kept my pup on Purina Puppy Chow, which was what the breeder fed, but after reoccurring diarrhea, I finally made the switch to Diamond Puppy and haven't seen a soft stool since.
Make sure to read the ingredients. Do some reasearch and you will find out what to look for in a dog food and what to be aware of. Its almost confusing and a whole lot to think about. Everyone has their own opinion. Good luck.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Authority is good food and easy to get at Petsmart, it is the house brand. Why switch at all?

Same quality food as Pro Plan but much cheaper.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks thats great info
God Bless

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Based on the shape of the kibble I would bet that food is made by Royal Canin.

Red

Post by Red » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Old thread, but from what I have read it's made by MENU FOODS, same folks who make Eukanuba???

Eukanuba raised prices again so I started feeding Authority today, ingredients are very close too.

Eukanuba

Guaranteed Analysis
Nutrient Analysis
Crude Protein, minimum 22.5%
Crude Fat, minimum 12.0%
Crude Fiber, maximum 4.0%
Moisture, maximum 10.0%
Calcium, minimum 1.15%
Vitamin E, minimum 140 IU/kg
L-Carnitine, minimum 30 mg/kg*
Omega-6 Fatty Acids, minimum 1.47%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids, minimum 0.21%*
Glucosamine, minimum 375 mg/kg*
Chondroitin Sulfate, minimum 35 mg/kg*

Ingredients: Lamb, Brewers Rice, Oat Flour, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken Meal (Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Salt, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Fructooligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Flax Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Vitamin E Supplement, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Authority
Crude Protein not less than……. 22.0%
Crude Fat not less than…….. 12.0%
Crude Fiber not more than……. 4.0%
Moisture not more than…… 10.0%
Calcium not less than….. 1.2%
Phosphorus not less than….. 1.1%
Zinc not less than.....175mg/kg
Selenium not less than .....0.15mg.kg
Vitamin A not less than .....15,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E not less than….. 200 IU/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than..... 2.0%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids not less than..... .30%*
Vitamin C not less than..... 20 mg/kg*

Lamb, Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Wheat, Wheat Germ Meal, Oat Groats, Rice Bran, Brewers Rice, Beef Tallow (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin and Mineral Supplements (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Ascorbic Acid), Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, D Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement).
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

Angus

Post by Angus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Red wrote:
Old thread, but from what I have read it's made by MENU FOODS, same folks who make Eukanuba???

Eukanuba raised prices again so I started feeding Authority today, ingredients are very close too.

Eukanuba

Guaranteed Analysis
Nutrient Analysis
Crude Protein, minimum 22.5%
Crude Fat, minimum 12.0%
Crude Fiber, maximum 4.0%
Moisture, maximum 10.0%
Calcium, minimum 1.15%
Vitamin E, minimum 140 IU/kg
L-Carnitine, minimum 30 mg/kg*
Omega-6 Fatty Acids, minimum 1.47%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids, minimum 0.21%*
Glucosamine, minimum 375 mg/kg*
Chondroitin Sulfate, minimum 35 mg/kg*

Ingredients: Lamb, Brewers Rice, Oat Flour, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken Meal (Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Salt, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Fructooligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Flax Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Vitamin E Supplement, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Authority
Crude Protein not less than……. 22.0%
Crude Fat not less than…….. 12.0%
Crude Fiber not more than……. 4.0%
Moisture not more than…… 10.0%
Calcium not less than….. 1.2%
Phosphorus not less than….. 1.1%
Zinc not less than.....175mg/kg
Selenium not less than .....0.15mg.kg
Vitamin A not less than .....15,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E not less than….. 200 IU/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than..... 2.0%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids not less than..... .30%*
Vitamin C not less than..... 20 mg/kg*

Lamb, Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Wheat, Wheat Germ Meal, Oat Groats, Rice Bran, Brewers Rice, Beef Tallow (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin and Mineral Supplements (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Ascorbic Acid), Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, D Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement).
Hmm. Little less Fat than I'd like to see for a working dog, but good luck with it.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Have recently started using eukanuba premium performance and am really happy with the results. Its the same food RJ uses. She is actually doing better on this than the expensive blue buffalo I use to feed her.

John