wet food vs dry

trigger1989

wet food vs dry

Post by trigger1989 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:19 pm

I have a gsp that's a little bit over a year old. I feed him a total of 3 cups dry food and one can of wet food a day. The people at the stock and feed shop where I get my food say wet is superior to dry but I definitely can't afford a pure wet food diet. A buddy told me that wet isn't good for teeth but I mix wet and dry and the wet isn't in that dogs mouth for more than 20 seconds anyway. But I'm interested in your guys' thoughts on the subject. Thanks in advance!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: wet food vs dry

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Forget the wet. It is over 70% water.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Most canned foods are maybe only 9 % protein and 6% fat. Yes dogs love it as it is meat and the fat is tastey for sure.

I would stick with just dry food.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Canned is just too expensive. One can a day is another bag of food over a month's time.

For much less money you can add raw chicken necks and backs if you wanna add some wet food.

Those are great for keeping teeth clean.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Well I tried to tell ya, see I aint the only one that dont like wet food. Hahaha just giving you a hard time.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:51 pm

some experts believe WET dog food is way to go because the dog is getting water with food.i feed DRY only because your vet teeth cleaning bills will go up do to tartar the wet food will cause.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 pm

JIM K wrote:some experts believe WET dog food is way to go because the dog is getting water with food.i feed DRY only because your vet teeth cleaning bills will go up do to tartar the wet food will cause.
I have never heard an expert recommend wet food for any reason and sure not for the water content. Dogs do not have a problem drinking what fluids they need.But I agree with the tarter build up and never mix the dry food with water.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:27 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
JIM K wrote:some experts believe WET dog food is way to go because the dog is getting water with food.i feed DRY only because your vet teeth cleaning bills will go up do to tartar the wet food will cause.
I have never heard an expert recommend wet food for any reason and sure not for the water content. Dogs do not have a problem drinking what fluids they need.But I agree with the tarter build up and never mix the dry food with water.

Ezzy

they believe dog can get BLOAT if food is not wet.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:11 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
+1.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Please understand, this is not directed toward you and I am not trying to be a smart ars, but IMO, that is ridiculous.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Cats should have wet otherwise their narrow ureter get plugged up with ash.( In case anybody here cares. :) )

My old dog gets a tablespoon of wet on his dry food as his sense of smell is gone and the wet interests him in eating.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:10 am

birddogger wrote:
Please understand, this is not directed toward you and I am not trying to be a smart ars, but IMO, that is ridiculous.

Charlie
That is old thinking with bloat. Breed, age, speed of eating and temperament are the key indicators of bloat risk.

As for teeth, both kinds of food will cause tartar build-up depending on the level of starch in the food and the particular dog. Shorter muzzled dogs will always get more tartar build-up. Some dog do and some dogs don't.

If your dog has crappy teeth swith to Eukanuba for a few months and use a scothbrite pad and ezyme toothpaste.

A canned all meat product like Evo or Core will never cause tartar build-up. It is chemically impossible.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:08 am

trigger1989 wrote:I have a gsp that's a little bit over a year old. I feed him a total of 3 cups dry food and one can of wet food a day. The people at the stock and feed shop where I get my food say wet is superior to dry but I definitely can't afford a pure wet food diet. A buddy told me that wet isn't good for teeth but I mix wet and dry and the wet isn't in that dogs mouth for more than 20 seconds anyway. But I'm interested in your guys' thoughts on the subject. Thanks in advance!
Don't take this as a troll, but that seems to be a lot of food.

FWIW, our guys get dry. They always have a large bowl of fresh water right next to their food.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!