Roading how long how fast how much

tompetey

Roading how long how fast how much

Post by tompetey » Mon May 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Just wondering how long to road the dogs and how fast been doing it three days a week for 1/2 hour around 18mph lookin for what others do

original mngsp

Re: Roading how long how fast how much

Post by original mngsp » Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 pm

My 5 yr old dog I will work up to between 50-75 minutes at around 10mph 3 times a week. When I'm doing that she is pulling hard in the harness the entire time. It takes a few weeks to get her up to that level, but she loves to road.

The 1 yr old is doing about 20-30 minutes at around 8mph 3 times a week. Hopefully by fall she will be up to where the older dog is and I can road them together.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:22 am

You guys do this on a bicycle or atv or what means of transportation?

Thanks
Corry

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue May 08, 2012 2:59 am

I use a 4 wheeler.

tompetey

Post by tompetey » Tue May 08, 2012 4:26 am

I tried using a bike but if any birds or squirls are around things get hairy in a hurry! I use a Polaris ranger with a bar hooked to front bumper seems to work well

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Tue May 08, 2012 6:50 am

Three days a week will get it done, when their in shape its 3.5 miles free running if the terrain allows@ 12 to 15 mph with water stops as needed.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue May 08, 2012 6:56 am

I free run my dogs 8-14 miles, 3 times a week off a bicycle. Lots of irrigation canals to jump in to keep them cool.

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue May 08, 2012 7:07 am

We're in a maintenance mode right now. 1x week 40 minutes at 7-9mph from atv. Then for the fall CH swing we'll get to 90 minutes 7-9 mph 2x/week, with various free running in between.
Dan

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 am

tompetey wrote:Just wondering how long to road the dogs and how fast been doing it three days a week for 1/2 hour around 18mph lookin for what others do
If you're going 18mph I doubt they're actually roading. That would be awful fast. In order for a dog to be considered roading they must be pulling against whatever they're attached to (ie the harness and four wheeler). It is a resistive exercise designed to build endurance and strength. A dog who is just running, but isn't actively pulling against the Atv is just running. Not roading.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue May 08, 2012 9:32 am

On foot: At a walk(3mph) for up to 30 minutes. Length of time depends on dog's condition...and mine. :lol: :lol:

Otherwise at a flat walk(3-5mph) for up to 45 minutes when getting ready for the trial season.

I generally road a dog no more than twice a week.

RayG

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue May 08, 2012 10:10 am

romeo212000 wrote:
tompetey wrote:Just wondering how long to road the dogs and how fast been doing it three days a week for 1/2 hour around 18mph lookin for what others do
If you're going 18mph I doubt they're actually roading. That would be awful fast. In order for a dog to be considered roading they must be pulling against whatever they're attached to (ie the harness and four wheeler). It is a resistive exercise designed to build endurance and strength. A dog who is just running, but isn't actively pulling against the Atv is just running. Not roading.
I don't think the definition of "roading" is quite so restrictive - it's really however you wanna do it to get the results you are after. Personally, for my dogs, going slow (5-10mph) for long distances doesn't do squat. Also for my dogs, making sure they are pulling into the harness the whole time whether by going slow or adding weight doesn't do squat. For my dogs, when it comes to roading, nothing has worked as well as roading with speed (or as romeo says, running :wink: ), 18-22mph for up 50" - haven't built up to an hour at that speed yet but I think they could do it, I just get bored by then. :lol: Might just be my dogs but I've tried all the roading methods I've ever heard of - and I've tried each method for at least 8 weeks each to give them a fair evaluation and so far nothing has beat speed. The worst my dogs ever, ever looked was when I spent a whole summer idling along at 8mph for an hour with 'em leaning in their harnesses - couldn't get outta their own way in the field.

Last year or so I've been going 3 days on, (2 days roading - 1st day at high speed 18-22mph, 2nd day at 15-18mph with half time dragging welding cables, 3rd day free run out training for an hour) then at least 3 days rest, maybe more if I don't think they're back to baseline or better with their rest. It's been a good regimen and been working well. Regimen comes from "the sled dog guys"...whoever they are - consensus seems to be bird dogs guys don't work their dogs hard enough and then don't rest 'em enough. Couple weeks ago in Reno Bugs put in the gutsiest deep in the country performance I've ever seen him do with unseasonable temps in the high 80's and entirely uphill course for an hour...but was birdless...so maybe need to add more days in the field finding birds and less running!! :lol:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:39 am

DGFavor wrote:haven't built up to an hour at that speed yet but I think they could do it, I just get bored by then
Do you have a cup/can holder on your ATV?

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:47 am

Chukar12 wrote:
DGFavor wrote:haven't built up to an hour at that speed yet but I think they could do it, I just get bored by then
I like the way you think. :wink:

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue May 08, 2012 10:51 am

I use a Ranger that has two little round holes in the dash with cup shaped plastic inserts - one in front of the driver and one in front of the passenger...I thought they were cell phone holders...???

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:09 am

all kidding aside,,,roading is serious business. Cell phone distractions and or alcohol can lead to accidents. I am sure we all remember this little episode...

In California we have legislated the practice and this is how we now road our dogs

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Tue May 08, 2012 11:32 am

romeo212000 wrote:
Thats ones point they dont need to be pulling and grinding unless you a a fetish for injury

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:44 pm

DGFavor wrote:
romeo212000 wrote:
I don't think the definition of "roading" is quite so restrictive - it's really however you wanna do it to get the results you are after. Personally, for my dogs, going slow (5-10mph) for long distances doesn't do squat. Also for my dogs, making sure they are pulling into the harness the whole time whether by going slow or adding weight doesn't do squat. For my dogs, when it comes to roading, nothing has worked as well as roading with speed (or as romeo says, running :wink: ), 18-22mph for up 50" - haven't built up to an hour at that speed yet but I think they could do it, I just get bored by then. :lol: Might just be my dogs but I've tried all the roading methods I've ever heard of - and I've tried each method for at least 8 weeks each to give them a fair evaluation and so far nothing has beat speed. The worst my dogs ever, ever looked was when I spent a whole summer idling along at 8mph for an hour with 'em leaning in their harnesses - couldn't get outta their own way in the field.

Last year or so I've been going 3 days on, (2 days roading - 1st day at high speed 18-22mph, 2nd day at 15-18mph with half time dragging welding cables, 3rd day free run out training for an hour) then at least 3 days rest, maybe more if I don't think they're back to baseline or better with their rest. It's been a good regimen and been working well. Regimen comes from "the sled dog guys"...whoever they are - consensus seems to be bird dogs guys don't work their dogs hard enough and then don't rest 'em enough. Couple weeks ago in Reno Bugs put in the gutsiest deep in the country performance I've ever seen him do with unseasonable temps in the high 80's and entirely uphill course for an hour...but was birdless...so maybe need to add more days in the field finding birds and less running!! :lol:
I'm not disagreeing with your method or what you found works for a dog. I'm just clarifying what roading actually is, and there are plenty of pros that do it so when done properly doesn't lead to injury. I don't road my dogs by that definition either. I run them and build up their speed and endurance much like you described. I wasn't downing the op's method of exercising his dogs. Just pointing out that by definition it is not roading.

By the way, the part where you have them drag a cable is roading because they are pulling against resistance.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue May 08, 2012 1:15 pm

I do an assortment of things to condition my dogs from treadmills to swimming (I actually don't have the treadmill anymore). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYV3pIcHgPA&feature=plcp

Where I train is about twelve miles away and there is a wide open country road that is right on the way. I'll run my personal dogs on it on the ay out to the grounds. I don't let her pull, I let her set the pace, as fast as she wants to go, and I keep up. She usually starts at about 24 - 25 mph and by the end of the four miles she's at 18 - 19. We pass over a low water bridge and a good section of the road is tree-covered, so heat isn't as much of an issue. I'll usually run one dog out and one dog back, two-to-five times per week, but try to time it to get out there three times a week.

I also have a bike that I use to scoot around town on. I attached a chain to the back of the frame, near where you fasten the nut to hold the rear tire on, but on the opposite site of the sprocket. I fit the dogs into their harnesses and we head off to the grocery store, convenience store, subway, anywhere. I try to keep up, but they do a lot more pulling from the bike than when we're on the dirt road. I hooked the chain up after trying to tie them off to the neck and trying to hold the lead when we were out, but it was just a hassle and we wrecked once. Hooked them to the seat post and the rope pinned my leg to the frame. Hook them to the rear of the frame and you can hardly tell they're there. Also, my dogs aren't kennel dogs so running them on hard top, even if only a little, but consistently, toughens up their pads.

So, fast roading about three times a week, give or take, for about ten minutes a session. Plus, when we get there the dogs free run over 120 acres for about an hour to an hour-and-half. Then whenever I'm headed to town we tote around from the bike for a couple miles. That's another twenty minutes, maybe once every two or three days. I used to use a treadill, but don't have it anymore and used to take the dogs swimming, but it's been so hectic that I can't find time for it anymore.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue May 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Just pointing out that by definition it is not roading.
It's roading cuz I call it roading!! :lol: :lol: Guess we're gonna have to make you cite your reference for the definition of roading on this one cause I sure can't find one!! Sorry, forum rules ya' know!! :lol: :lol:

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 pm

I slap my hockey rollerblades on, :D throw the harness on the lil guy and he pulls until I can tell he's starting to fatigue. Some days are roughly 15-20 mins some days are 30-40 mins. Depends on the weather(I'm in az so its a hot hoe here in the summer) just read your dog and don't overdue it.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed May 09, 2012 7:53 am

Dont have a quad or anything like that to road a dog off of. Also, have diffrent muscle toning goals, but I took this video yesterday.

The buck is 4.5 pounds. I had his run 300 yards with it giving him 2-300 yards breaks inbetween. We did 2.5 miles and he ran 1 mile I am sure with the buck. I was watching for any signs of fatigue or distress. As you can see his tail is up and happy.

He has to be able to carry a 10 pound fox 300 yards and also over a 70-80cm jump. Didnt know how else to build him up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-l1gkbX0-4
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:09 am

romeo212000 wrote: restrictive - it's really however you wanna do it to get the results you are after
I run mines on a 30 miles logging road 2 times a week at speed of 25mph. I use atv to follow and guide them.
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Stoneface wrote:I do an assortment of things to condition my dogs from treadmills to swimming (I actually don't have the treadmill anymore). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYV3pIcHgPA&feature=plcp
Silly question, but how safe is that really for the dog? I mean if you are not standing right there watching him/her the whole time and take a look away and the dog slips that could end up pretty bad.

Thanks
Corry

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Sun May 20, 2012 8:38 pm

I have had the best results by letting the dogs run ahead of my pickup on the gravel road. I found a stretch of gravel with only 2 farm houses and no dogs or cats to interfere. There is plenty of water on the route and if I leave my house by 05:45, I can run my dogs down and back before the school bus goes by. Last Fall I was running them 40 minutes at 15+ mph every third day, but I think a better gaited dog would be able to run faster. I'm not trialing anymore, so we are only running 5 1/2 miles or 25 minutes every third day; just enough to keep their feet and muscles hard.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus