Pro Plan Quality Control

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Pro Plan Quality Control

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 08, 2012 11:29 am

Has PP ever had a recall of any kind? Just curious not trying to start anything.

utprizewire

Re: Pro Plan Quality Control

Post by utprizewire » Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 pm

http://www.avma.org/petfoodsafety/recal ... efault.asp

Purina One has been recalled but not Pro Plan.

UT

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:32 pm

I'd like to start something. Purina does not have kcal per cup and kcal per kg listed on thier website for PP. They also don't mention what size bags the feed comes in. ( but if I remember,it is #35) I also emailed them last friday with questions and they still haven't gotten back to me. Ok sorry, rant over.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue May 08, 2012 3:46 pm

utprizewire wrote:http://www.avma.org/petfoodsafety/recal ... efault.asp

Purina One has been recalled but not Pro Plan.

UT
You do realize that recall was for CAT Food don't you? 8) :lol:

Purina's QC is pretty stringent and while I won't say they've never been recalled, I don't know for sure; unlike many of the so called Premium Brands, they haven't been recalled in my recent memory.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:20 pm

brad27 wrote:I'd like to start something. Purina does not have kcal per cup and kcal per kg listed on thier website for PP. They also don't mention what size bags the feed comes in. ( but if I remember,it is #35) I also emailed them last friday with questions and they still haven't gotten back to me. Ok sorry, rant over.
Performance comes in a 37.5 lb bag and is 493 kcal per cup/4406 kcal per kg. Some of their other formulas do come in smaller bags.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 08, 2012 6:43 pm

37.5 LBS. = 17.0 kg
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Back when they used the older style (not glossy) paper packaging they had THE WORST seasonal problem with mealmoths in the food. You could get to the bottom of a bag and there'd be six inches of webby debris. Went on for years.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Back when they used the older style (not glossy) paper packaging they had THE WORST seasonal problem with mealmoths in the food. You could get to the bottom of a bag and there'd be six inches of webby debris. Went on for years.
Why don't you just start a new thread on what dog food & packaging used to be like in the olden days? :lol:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 08, 2012 8:14 pm

BigShooter wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Back when they used the older style (not glossy) paper packaging they had THE WORST seasonal problem with mealmoths in the food. You could get to the bottom of a bag and there'd be six inches of webby debris. Went on for years.
Why don't you just start a new thread on what dog food & packaging used to be like in the olden days? :lol:
I guess I don't understand. Purina just wrapped up the changeover to glossy paper or plastic on PVD less than two years ago and I've yet to see anything except the largest OM come out in the woven bags.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue May 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Must have been some kinda good food if you put up with that and kept feeding it for years.

Are mealmoths a regional thing? Can't say as I have heard of them and have never had a bag of dog food of any type or quality or packaging that had "webby debris" in the bottom.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 08, 2012 10:20 pm

slistoe wrote:
Must have been some kinda good food if you put up with that and kept feeding it for years.

Are mealmoths a regional thing? Can't say as I have heard of them and have never had a bag of dog food of any type or quality or packaging that had "webby debris" in the bottom.
I don't feed ProPlan, mostly. I sell it. I'm surprised you've not heard of meal moths. You consume their eggs, along with those of other stored grain pests, every time you use spices. Or, maybe you're just a bland kind of guy.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue May 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Because I ate some microscopic, unlisted, unidentified, unquantified eggs I should have heard of mealmoths? Now there was the time that the mealworms had all hatched in the oatmeal on a week long backpacking excursion and for a couple of days our morning cereal had added protein content. Had I not cooked them would I have seen mealmoths eventually?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 pm

slistoe wrote:Because I ate some microscopic, unlisted, unidentified, unquantified eggs I should have heard of mealmoths? Now there was the time that the mealworms had all hatched in the oatmeal on a week long backpacking excursion and for a couple of days our morning cereal had added protein content. Had I not cooked them would I have seen mealmoths eventually?
I think what she is talking about are the moths that come from the meal worms. Have no idea how she got the connection to spices though.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 09, 2012 12:00 am

ezzy333 wrote:
slistoe wrote:Because I ate some microscopic, unlisted, unidentified, unquantified eggs I should have heard of mealmoths? Now there was the time that the mealworms had all hatched in the oatmeal on a week long backpacking excursion and for a couple of days our morning cereal had added protein content. Had I not cooked them would I have seen mealmoths eventually?
I think what she is talking about are the moths that come from the meal worms. Have no idea how she got the connection to spices though.

Ezzy
I didn't say anything about mealwoms. Purina products (Dog Chow, ProPlan and PVD) used to have a mealmoth problem. Those, along with weevils, are often found in spices that have been stored for a long time. Spices cannot be heat treated without affecting their quality and pest eggs are fairly resilient, anyway. Bird feeds are where we see the most infestation because they are frequently composed of whole seeds.

utprizewire

Post by utprizewire » Wed May 09, 2012 5:50 am

You do realize that recall was for CAT Food don't you?
Whoopsy!! Saw Purina One and figured it was dog food!!

Regardless, like the feed dogs always did good on it but at almost $40.00 for a 37.5 lb bag I can find a better feed at that price.

UT

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 am

Cajun Casey wrote: I didn't say anything about mealwoms. Purina products (Dog Chow, ProPlan and PVD) used to have a mealmoth problem. Those, along with weevils, are often found in spices that have been stored for a long time. Spices cannot be heat treated without affecting their quality and pest eggs are fairly resilient, anyway. Bird feeds are where we see the most infestation because they are frequently composed of whole seeds.
Are you sure the problem was at their end?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 09, 2012 7:21 am

slistoe wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote: I didn't say anything about mealwoms. Purina products (Dog Chow, ProPlan and PVD) used to have a mealmoth problem. Those, along with weevils, are often found in spices that have been stored for a long time. Spices cannot be heat treated without affecting their quality and pest eggs are fairly resilient, anyway. Bird feeds are where we see the most infestation because they are frequently composed of whole seeds.
Are you sure the problem was at their end?
Yes, because other clinics would send clients when they found the problem. We moved more volume, so our food was usually clean when theirs was buggy.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 09, 2012 7:41 am

How would you know processing was the issue vs. the bags? Did you see the bags before they were opened to know they hadn't been perforated by handling before an infestation? Do you have any way of knowing whether this was a local, hot weather issue or an international issue? How many other sources for Pro-Plan are near you so you know this wasn't restricted to a single supplier? I've never seen the problem in ProPlan or any of the foods I've used & know a pro that's used the product by the pallet load for years without the issue. I don't understand why so many pros used the product for so many years over such a large area if the problem was as widespread as you have alluded.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 09, 2012 8:09 am

The bags are that crinkly plastic material now.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 09, 2012 8:23 am

mcbosco wrote:The bags are that crinkly plastic material now.
Helps keep people from cutting the weight circles off. :)

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Wed May 09, 2012 9:59 am

When I bought ProPlan. the store I went to usually had every weight circle missing from their bags.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 09, 2012 10:09 am

BigShooter wrote:How would you know processing was the issue vs. the bags? Did you see the bags before they were opened to know they hadn't been perforated by handling before an infestation? Do you have any way of knowing whether this was a local, hot weather issue or an international issue? How many other sources for Pro-Plan are near you so you know this wasn't restricted to a single supplier? I've never seen the problem in ProPlan or any of the foods I've used & know a pro that's used the product by the pallet load for years without the issue. I don't understand why so many pros used the product for so many years over such a large area if the problem was as widespread as you have alluded.
I think I mentioned it was relative to the type of packaging. And, we did open bags before sending them home. I'm sure the contact/infestation could very well have occurred during shipping because trailers are not exactly pristine.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Wed May 09, 2012 12:03 pm

We have fed PPP for over 8 years and never seen a mealmoth or any other bug or 'debris" in the bags. We have never had a problem with the food except once when a bag of it smelled "sweet". We gave a sample to a Purina rep and found out that it must have been stored/shipped with sweet feed for horses. The only problem was the dogs really loved it :D That was with the old bags. We have never got a bag with missing weight circles. Makes me think we live on a different plane them some of you :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:16 pm

The eggs are in the meal and when stored in damp warm conditions they hatch. Has nothing to do with a quality program. The plastic bags do help by reducing moisture problems. One of the important things to do is store your feed some where other than on a concrete floor and watch the manufacturing date especially in the summer. You won't have the problem in the winter.

I think you will be hard pressed to prove that the problem is any greater with one company than another given the same storage conditions.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The eggs are in the meal and when stored in damp warm conditions they hatch. Has nothing to do with a quality program. The plastic bags do help by reducing moisture problems. One of the important things to do is store your feed some where other than on a concrete floor and watch the manufacturing date especially in the summer. You won't have the problem in the winter.

I think you will be hard pressed to prove that the problem is any greater with one company than another given the same storage conditions.

Ezzy
Exactly.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu May 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
slistoe wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote: Are you sure the problem was at their end?
Yes, because other clinics would send clients when they found the problem. We moved more volume, so our food was usually clean when theirs was buggy.
Well there you solved the issue. By running into it sideways. :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick