annual vet shots?

JIM K

annual vet shots?

Post by JIM K » Tue May 08, 2012 11:41 pm

i was reading where they are now saying that it harms our dogs to have the annual shots at vets.they are saying it causes harm to the dogs system .vets are not required to tell you that one shot will last 7 years.

do you folks have shots done annually?

stolhma

Re: annual vet shots?

Post by stolhma » Wed May 09, 2012 7:44 pm

Yip, every year for the last 12 on my oldest Gordon, had Brit that lived 17 years and she had shots every year also. I have never had an issue with any of my animals. It's my understanding some states require rabies every two or three years.
“No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu May 10, 2012 7:11 am

I haven't vaccinated, other than rabies which is required, since the one year booster.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu May 10, 2012 8:07 am

I vaccinate every 3 years except for Bordatella - which I do every year because I foster a lot of dogs from the shelter.

Will

Post by Will » Thu May 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Please tell us more. I go annually for shots, but it's only the rabies vaccination that's required. It gets a little spendy with 3 dogs. Have I slipped up and drank the kool-aide?
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:38 pm

I do rabies at six months and a booster every 3 years. Other than that I make sure to worm them every month.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu May 10, 2012 1:55 pm

I do rabies every 3 yrs- required by NYS law. I do the Distemper series (basic series, no extra Lepto, bordetella, lymes, etc) every 3 yrs on my young dog and will probably stop giving them once he is older. I only do rabies on my 13 yr old dog.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu May 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Will wrote:Please tell us more. I go annually for shots, but it's only the rabies vaccination that's required. It gets a little spendy with 3 dogs. Have I slipped up and drank the kool-aide?

This topic gets the moderator in a twist, but the research shows that the Core vaccines more than likely have life-long immunity if the booster at age 1 is done. Limited vaccine protocol is now mainstream. Vets doing the Core vaccines every year are out of step with modern practice, which is every 3-5 years now. So really once after the booster at age 1. Many breeders are not even vaccinating pups until 8 - 10 weeks.

If you want to research this more just Google Dr. Jean Dodds.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 10, 2012 3:47 pm

I think shots for puppies are more necessary than an adult dog. Pups can easily die from distemper, parvovirus,
I follow the traditional plan. :) ; I trust my vet. See the link.

http://www.dogster.com/dog-health-care/ ... n-schedule
Last edited by Sharon on Thu May 10, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

steamer

Post by steamer » Thu May 10, 2012 4:47 pm

i follow what my vet tells me to.she went to school and has those cool letters behind her name . :wink: rabbies on the three year plan and lepto every year.the rabbies because its the law i think and the lepto because she knows that we trial and train around other dogs and those nasty water barrels that every dog seems to pee on or get dunked in and then drink out of is a good way to get lepto. we also do a wellness check up , stool sample , and heart worm test once a year plus a dose of revolution per month. the stool sample and hwt are per me. i just want the piece of mind. this is just for one dog though if i had a bunch of dogs which by the way is my dream to win the lottery and have a gaggle of short hairs to train and hunt with i would do something less costly.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:47 pm

mcbosco wrote:
Will wrote:Please tell us more. I go annually for shots, but it's only the rabies vaccination that's required. It gets a little spendy with 3 dogs. Have I slipped up and drank the kool-aide?

This topic gets the moderator in a twist, but the research shows that the Core vaccines more than likely have life-long immunity if the booster at age 1 is done. Limited vaccine protocol is now mainstream. Vets doing the Core vaccines every year are out of step with modern practice, which is every 3-5 years now. So really once after the booster at age 1. Many breeders are not even vaccinating pups until 8 - 10 weeks.

I need to tell you why McBosco thinks this subject gets me in a "twist" whatever that means. I have never in my lifetime given additional shots after the series of puppy shots. And I think it is up to you and your vet to decide what protocol you should use and not up to either myself or McBosco to tell you what to do since neither of us are licensed though I think he has played a vet on TV or some such place like this forum. He has chosen to put his money on Dr. Jean Dodds, but to be honest she isn't his vet, my vet, or anyone else's that I know. I do have a vet, though we seldom see each other, but when I need advice that is where I would go and who I would listen to for advice that would be much more accurate for you and your dogs there in the environment you live in.

My "twist" is that we should let people use their own vets for something as important as medical advice and not use the Internet where you have people who know nothing about you, your dogs, your local environment, plus having no training, education, or licence to practise in the medical field. All of this said, make up your own mind and if you need advice go to your own vet and then do what you decide is best for you.

Now, who do you think is the one with the twist in his shorts? Choices are me, or our unlicensed forum vet? :roll: :roll: :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu May 10, 2012 6:04 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

I need to tell you why McBosco thinks this subject gets me in a "twist" whatever that means. I have never in my lifetime given additional shots after the series of puppy shots. And I think it is up to you and your vet to decide what protocol you should use and not up to either myself or McBosco to tell you what to do since neither of us are licensed though I think he has played a vet on TV or some such place like this forum. He has chosen to put his money on Dr. Jean Dodds, but to be honest she isn't his vet, my vet, or anyone else's that I know. I do have a vet, though we seldom see each other, but when I need advice that is where I would go and who I would listen to for advice that would be much more accurate for you and your dogs there in the environment you live in.

My "twist" is that we should let people use their own vets for something as important as medical advice and not use the Internet where you have people who know nothing about you, your dogs, your local environment, plus having no training, education, or licence to practise in the medical field. All of this said, make up your own mind and if you need advice go to your own vet and then do what you decide is best for you.

Now, who do you think is the one with the twist in his shorts? Choices are me, or our unlicensed forum vet? :roll: :roll: :lol:

Ezzy
You, you proved it. Every time this question comes up you answer the same way, almost word for word. The extended protocol that she spent a decade or more researching is the standard globally, so again, you are completely and factually incorrect.

If this type of thread is only for licensed vets then take it off. Don't single people out the way you do. You lose respect.

Your harassment of other forum members is beyond reproach. Do you realize this? Do you get special privileges?

You are totally out of line, again.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Thank you for the personal advice.

Now about Dr Dodd, point out to me where I said she didn't know what she was talking about? I did say she wasn't anyone's vet that I knew about and that is still true. However, if her word is the ultimate end all of vaccination protocol, don't you think every vet would know about it and adhere to what she is advocating? And if that is happening, then why do you even have to tell anyone since their vet would be doing it just as she says. I still think there just might be a little more knowledge coming from our vets than from our resident non-licenced practitioner. And though I tend to agree with her findings, I know for a fact that many people who are completely caught up in the "book learning" side of things becomes quite detached from many real life occurrences. Maybe that is the reason many vets are still reluctant to follow what just one individual says when their experiences don't always agree.

Bet anything you want to bet, that we can find some one with just as much credibility to disagree with her, just like we find experts on every subject that have opposing views.

Regardless of all of this, why do you want to put yourself out there as the expert and be the one to convince someone on what procedure to follow when you do not have the knowledge, education, or experience, but still place yourself in the position of causing someone to follow your advice and lose a dog because of it. I think it is wise to let people who are trained in the field, to take that responsibility on.

If this sound like a personal attack, I am sorry, but you should be able to tell the difference between an attack and just some sound advice that is meant to protect you and this board from more trouble than either of us want or can handle.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Growing up we had dogs. Nothing special. Some dobies, rots, mutts. They all got their puppy shots and that's it. Lucy is due for her rabies booster. Don't know if I'll get it. She had a cough a few months ago. Told her to suck it up, we need to get back to running. She seems to do ok. So did all the other dogs.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Dr. Dodd is generally correct I think. Keep in mind she is from California I think. Different parts of the country have different needs re vaccinations. I think she states that in articles I have read of hers a few years ago.

The point is well taken that vaccinations may be done to excess frequently.
big steve

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri May 11, 2012 4:46 am

mcbosco wrote:

So 80000 vets are wrong?

I've had dogs all my life and followed the yearly vaccination protocol with all but one. That one caught distemper as an adult and although he recovered, he had problems with chorea for the rest of his life. The other dogs mostly lived into old age, and not one of them had any vaccination related problems. My vet doesn't see dogs sick with the diseases we vaccinate against among the vaccinated dogs, but does see some of the illnesses in unvaccinated or extended protocol vaccinated dogs. I'm not going to risk my guys getting sick when vaccinating is safe, effective, and fairly cheap.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 11, 2012 6:36 am

All 27 Vet schools in North America follow and teach some form of Dodd's protocol, generally a 3 year plan, but many Vet's follow it to a T.

This research goes back to the 1970's. To suggest she is some kind of a crackpot is naive.

Of course there will be anomolies but that is life. More dogs are harmed by needless vaccines than extending out the schedule.

So when you say are 80,000 vets are wrong, I say are all 27 Vet Schools wrong?

Vet's giving the Core vaccines every year either don't read or just want to make money. The others like Lepto, are case by case.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat May 12, 2012 6:32 pm

in my yearly exam at vet he gives TOBY a lyme shot ALSO AND TOBY STILL GOT LYMES DISEASES.