Sliced pad

codym

Sliced pad

Post by codym » Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 am

I went to let my young male pointer out of his kennel to run around the yard this morning and noticed he was limping. On further inspection it was clear he had sliced his pad on something fairly deep. I cleaned it with alcohol and sprayed anti-biotics into it. Is there anything further I should do or watch for? I'm pretty sure I should just keep him off of it as much as possible and keep it clean and it should be fine, but i've never had a dog get anything more than a superficial abrasion on their pads before. Thanks

Swagg

Re: Sliced pad

Post by Swagg » Wed May 09, 2012 11:55 am

Somewhere i had a thread i started on here with a cut pad. Were you able to get the bleeding to stop? If so it should be ok with some time. I just kept it neosporin (sp??) On it and kept it wrapped for a few days. also kept her inside for the most part. She got her self another time on some barn siding and i could not get the bleeding to stop so off to the vets we went for stitches. After the vets the procedure is the same. keep it wrapped and dry and they will be good as new :) I just used a gauze pad over the cut followed by some stretch tape. worked great.

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Wed May 09, 2012 12:54 pm

if you can get to the cut and stop the bleeding superglue works wonders (seriously).. but you will still want to keep the wrapped/protected until it heals some naturally. Then light duty until it's 100% again.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 09, 2012 12:57 pm

The clean slices heel pretty fast. The pad injuries where the outer tissue tears off are a bigger problem.

codym

Post by codym » Wed May 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Awesome thanks for the responses. He must have bled pretty good because there were some pretty good blood spots ( They weren't obvious because my kennel floor is red brick) but once I got to him this morning the blood had stopped. I will wrap him and keep him inside for a week or so. Thanks again.