How many times a day do you feed?

terrym

How many times a day do you feed?

Post by terrym » Tue May 15, 2012 7:31 am

My dog is self fed. Always have done this with all my dogs and have never had one overweight at all. In fact at my recent visit to the vet he declared him in perfect shape and told me to continue on my system. Was at hunt test last weekend and there was a dog food rep there with a booth and after watching my dog ( we scored a perfect 100%) he walked over and asked me what I fed. I told what and how much and then he told me" well I wouldn't change a thing" and he knew I didn't feed his brand. So, many seem to insist on feeding twice a day but my dog seems to have no issue with regulating himself at all and has energy to burn and is in perfect healthy. What advantage would I get by regulating when he eats? He tends to eat most of his food late in the evenings .
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: How many times a day do you feed?

Post by ACooper » Tue May 15, 2012 7:44 am

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue May 15, 2012 12:14 pm

Mist not have been an AKC hunt test... They aren't scored on percentages... Wondering who does?

terrym

Post by terrym » Tue May 15, 2012 2:06 pm

ultracarry wrote:Mist not have been an AKC hunt test... They aren't scored on percentages... Wondering who does?
CKC. The ones up North :D
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue May 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Good to know.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 15, 2012 8:09 pm

The advantage, IMO, is that you catch a sickness a lot quicker if you are monitoring your feeding. I know immediately if the dogs are sick (like if the pointer doesn't eat) or if the dog is on the verge of death (if the beagle doesn't eat - ha ha). That's the benefit for me - knowing right away that the dog isn't feeling well.

Also, I have multiple dogs, so free feeding wouldn't work well in our home. My Vizsla would resemble a Mack truck and the skinny pointer wouldn't get any food at all!

reba

Post by reba » Wed May 16, 2012 2:47 pm

I feed three dogs once a day in the evening; every bowel is measured.

HOWEVER I need to feed my 3 year old GSP 1/3 ration in the morning and then 3/4 ration in the evening; otherwise he would be skin and bones. He just can not consume what he needs in one feeding. He is a big running hunting dog. We do not trial.

I weight my dogs every few weeks. No fat dogs here! All have wasp waists for sure.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu May 17, 2012 12:56 pm

I have used self feeders off and on over the years and some dogs do great with them and some don't. I have noticed that often when a dog is first put on a self feeder he will gain weight right away but over time he will regulate what he eats and maintain a normal weight.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu May 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Twice a day, just split his daily ration that he would get if I fed at one time. Not sure, but he seems to have less waste to clean that way. Don't know why, I guess his body uses more of the food up with the smaller portions. Then again I could just be crazy! :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:52 pm

I feed twice a day, has worked well for me. My last britt could self regulate with no problems, when I brought my lab home that had to change, he would eat until he puked, then eat again. My current griff would eat everything in sight, he acts like he is starving 24 hours a day, works up a good drool waiting for dry dog food.