What is this!!!!!!!!

Munster

What is this!!!!!!!!

Post by Munster » Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 pm

This is right next to his junk. Doesnt feel flaky etc. First thought was ringworm. I have a kid in wrestling and second thought was a bite from a bad tick.....Lyme

I am getting him in tomorrow.

http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: What is this!!!!!!!!

Post by wems2371 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:52 am

M, my dogs get similar marks if they've been lounging in the grass. I attribute it to chiggers or other noseeums, and I'm guessing his hair is thinner around his junk. I'm guessing it will disappear and it's gone by now. Not saying it couldn't be something else, but that is my experience!!!!!!!

I'd wait a day or so and see if I'm right...and save your money for $10 chukars. :D

fireangel

Post by fireangel » Wed May 23, 2012 7:28 am

Never seen that, hopefully it is nothing. Let us know what you find out.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:38 am

do dogs get ring worms? My kid had a ring worm and looked alot like that, but bigger.

Joe

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:54 am

My pup gets a similar bite mark from black gnats. When they are at their peak, her belly will be covered after spending 20 minutes in the yard. If it goes away within a day I'd say don't worry about it, but if it persists longer, take him in.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed May 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Munster wrote:This is right next to his junk. Doesnt feel flaky etc. First thought was ringworm. I have a kid in wrestling and second thought was a bite from a bad tick.....Lyme

I am getting him in tomorrow.
If it turns out to be ringworm, you can treat it by using miconazole nitrate cream that you can find in the "feminine" aisle in any drugstore (it is the active ingredient in Monistat cream -- get the generic). You can also find it in the foot area as a treatment for Athlete's foot but for some reason the tubes are much smaller & more expensive for the same strength. ????

Apply twice a day to the affected area for 3 weeks to a month. At some point the hair will "break off" in the affected area & the area look a little bald. But usually the fur grows back.

You will have to make sure you wash all the bedding or anything that you may come into contact with that the dog came into contact with, as ringworm can be transmitted to people. Contrary to it's name, it is NOT caused by a worm, but by a skin fungus. Hence the need to take some precautions.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet nor did I watch Dr. Doolittle last night. I am just passing along first hand experience.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Wed May 23, 2012 3:32 pm

My vote...looks like a chigger bite or other bug bite. No biggie. They love the junk area! My vet prescribes Gentocin topical spray. Lately I have used over the counter Vetericyn topical with the same great results because I battle chiggers daily. If this is uncommon for your dog don't rule out ring so a trip to the vet is a good idea!

raven34

Post by raven34 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Definitely going with knat bite...... Seen it lots, and that was the culprit!
Jen

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Looks a lot like a Roosevelt dime to me. Never saw a dog with one before.

Mary I would put some salve on it and just watch for a day or two. Bag Balm would be a good one.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed May 23, 2012 6:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Looks a lot like a Roosevelt dime to me. Never saw a dog with one before.

Mary I would put some salve on it and just watch for a day or two. Bag Balm would be a good one.

Ezzy
Tell ya what Ezzy, maybe we should culture it and make a little money.

No, I had to go into the vet anyway to talk with him about snake vaccine and how to use the staplers etc. So I had them check it out with no real conclusion. I am a worrier. I could careless if it was ringworm, that is treatable. But if it turned out to be lyme I had to know. I heard you dont want to mess with that stuff.
He gave me some spray, told me to buy some creme, he is culturing for ringworm and he smiled as he gave me the 110.00 bill. Being a worrier sucks.

He did say it had quit a bit of bacteria in it, like more then he expected?

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu May 24, 2012 9:26 am

Munster wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Looks a lot like a Roosevelt dime to me. Never saw a dog with one before.

Ezzy
Tell ya what Ezzy, maybe we should culture it and make a little money.

No, I had to go into the vet anyway to talk with him about snake vaccine and how to use the staplers etc. So I had them check it out with no real conclusion. I am a worrier. I could careless if it was ringworm, that is treatable. But if it turned out to be lyme I had to know. I heard you dont want to mess with that stuff.
He gave me some spray, told me to buy some creme, he is culturing for ringworm and he smiled as he gave me the 110.00 bill. Being a worrier sucks.

He did say it had quit a bit of bacteria in it, like more then he expected?
We had the same issue regarding "culturing" for ringworm. In the end we decided jointly with the vet that rather than run up a bill on a test that takes WEEKS to culture, we'd just be pro-active and do the miconazole nitrate thing. It's the less expensive option and worked out well.

What did he give you for the "bacteria"?
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu May 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Athlete's Foot meds have the same active ingredient, often at higher "yield", for less money. Why? I've always thought it was because the closer it is to the jewels, the more a guy is willing to pay for it....

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu May 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Athlete's Foot meds have the same active ingredient, often at higher "yield", for less money. Why? I've always thought it was because the closer it is to the jewels, the more a guy is willing to pay for it....

Thats funny!!!!!!!!

Surprise surprise it is gone. Imagine that. Whip out 100.00 nd magic happens :roll:

D your a smart lady, I should have listened. Probably would have if I didnt have Lyme on the brain!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri May 25, 2012 5:13 am

Looks like a black fly/gnat bite. It is that time of year here.

EZZY said: "Looks a lot like a Roosevelt dime to me. Never saw a dog with one before." :lol:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick