Excitable Urination

MN Bonasa

Excitable Urination

Post by MN Bonasa » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:08 am

My dog who in now 14 months old still has what I call excitable urination when I come home from work or new people come over and she urinates on the floor.
Anyone have any ideas how to train against this or will she eventually outgrow this behavior. Don't get me wrong I love to see my girl get excited to see me when I come home, just without the added liquid part. Any ideas as to why she or any dog for that matter does this, is it a female thing not a male thing?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Excitable Urination

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 am

I'd see the vet first to make sure to make sure there is no UTI.

Ignore the dog when you come home for around 10 minutes.

Most outgrow this .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:04 pm

I have a friend that has a 3 year old dog that still does it everytime someone comes over and I figure she would have already out grown it if she was going to. I would love to know how to train out of this for when I get my new pup... Good luck man!!
God Bless

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:17 am

I have a male gsp that's 18 months old. After the 1 year mark he's cut back on doing it a lot but, probably 2 times a week he still does it if I don't go straight outside with him when I walk in the door( he's not kenneled when I'm gone he staying in a normal sized house with a doggy door) my vet said the only thing I can do is fix him and see what happens other than that he said just smile because he loves me. So my only advice is right when you get home go outside and do your hello how are you pet down and most of the time they will go pee normally and not on you.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 pm

First of all... as I have been told by several vets is that the dog does not know it's releasing the urine when excited. It is an involuntary reaction from the dogs excitement. So if the owners or people she meets makes a fuss over her like petting her, rubbing he belly when she rolls over etc. that only praises the dog for acting excited and probably submissive.
So... The training that is necessary is training for the people in her life. Like Sharon said IGNORE her for 10 minutes. Over time the dog can learn to stop the excitement and the peeing. If she doesn't get praise for her excitement she should calm down quicker over time. When she quiets down, calmly take her outside to play with her and pet her. If she pee's a little at least it's outside.

You must also train your guests to ignore her too, NO Eye Contact, NO Talk, NO Touch for at least 10 to 15 minutes I think that should do the trick in less than 2 months if your consistant with the training.

Give that a try and see what happens.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:36 pm

in my experience they outgrow it eventually. my setter pup finally did. However, when i was in high school my best freinds family had a cocker spaniel female that did that ONLY when I came to the house. She never had that problem with anyone else, just me. she wasnt scared of me, heck the dog thought i hung the moon for some reason. i just made her happy i guess. Wish my wife would get that excited when i come home! ;)

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:49 pm

"Wish my wife would get that excited when i come home! "

Reminds me of the country song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY4h1ikePaA

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Have any of the breeders noted anything about the hereditary nature of this?

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm

What your dog is doing is called 'submissive urination' and as stated ignore the dog for 5-10 minutes. When you do greet the dog stay calm and get down to their level to give your hellos. She should grow out of it.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Submissive urination and excitment urination are actually different. If the urination is accompanied by submissive behaviors such as laying down rolling over, tail between legs that is submissive. Excitement urination happens while the dog is tail wagging, standing, walking around even jumping.

A quick google search brings up this among other junk :wink:
http://behavior.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/loca ... n_Dogs.pdf

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:38 pm

cstokes/southeast,ks wrote:"Wish my wife would get that excited when i come home! "

Reminds me of the country song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY4h1ikePaA
Never heard that song before. It was great! :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:40 pm

One of my dog's has this, he gets very excited he ends up peeing everywhere. Some dogs just get this excited. There's a slim chance he has a UTI but if you are concerned about him having a UTI or a bladder issue, start giving him high quality cranberry capsules. Cranberry capsules will clear up a UTI or a bladder issue within a few days.

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:53 am

All my dogs would do this with my now ex wife. She would get them all worked up when she came home. My last dog started doing this when I came home and I started to ignore it for a few minutes and the problem disapeared.