Feed or Food???

frontline

Feed or Food???

Post by frontline » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:23 am

I see several people on here referring to dog food as feed. Really? Why? In my opinion "feed" is a disparaging and derogatory term when it's used to describe what you feed your dog.

Feed is fed to food-producing animals and we do not eat dog in the US or Canada. You might see cattle feed, poultry feed, hog feed, sheep feed etc. but where have you ever seen "dog feed" on a bag of dog kibble?

When I see people calling dog food "feed" I conjure up an image of someone who doesn't respect a dog for what it is, man's best friend. Do you really think so little of your dogs or dogs in general? :(

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Feed or Food???

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:33 am

WOW!! :roll: Please tell me you are kidding.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

volraider

Post by volraider » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 am

Put the bong down man! :D

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:39 am

We call it "cuisine" in these parts.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:09 am

I typically don't refer to dog food as feed, though I know many people that do. That being said, I can guess why people do refer to it as feed. Here are some places in my area where I can buy food: Lewis Feed and Tack, Cleveland Feed and Seed, Homestead Landscape and Feed.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:38 am

We don't eat horses, worms, bugs, and many other things including people but we still feed them, produce feed for them etc.

Use the term you want. Dogs don't care a bit. I do onder though about us deciding which animals are more important than others? Not sure our status gives us that right.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:45 am

Looks like someone had bitchflakes for breakfast :roll:
Food, feed, chow, kibble, morsels, breakfast, lunch or dinner, garbage, the dogs really don't care what you call it as long as they get fed.

I don't refer to my dogs as "man's best friend", they are "woman's best friend"..... :lol:

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 pm

ezzy333 wrote:We don't eat horses, worms, bugs, and many other things including people but we still feed them, produce feed for them etc.

Use the term you want. Dogs don't care a bit. I do onder though about us deciding which animals are more important than others? Not sure our status gives us that right.

Ezzy
I have, in fact, eaten horse and a worm (only once - to prove to my nephews that bugs in general are high in protein). I'm with you on the name, who cares whether it's feed or food? I took several classes in college on "feeds and feeding." My dad calls it "din - din" for his dogs. I pick up horse feed, chicken scratch, dog food, or just feed for the animals. I'm thinking it doesn't really matter what you call it, as long as you are feeding (or is it fooding?) the dogs adequately, who cares?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:17 pm

RoostersMom wrote: as long as you are feeding (or is it fooding?)
:P :lol:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Feed or Food???

Post by ACooper » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:58 pm

How about you get a hobby... You obviously have spare time.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 am

I think them City folks call it Food but alot of us Hicks call it Feed!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:02 pm

anything i buy for dogs or any animal that comes in 50 lb bags is feed......

now if i had a teacup cockapoo then it might be food :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:50 pm

frontline wrote:I see several people on here referring to dog food as feed. Really? Why? In my opinion "feed" is a disparaging and derogatory term when it's used to describe what you feed your dog.

Feed is fed to food-producing animals and we do not eat dog in the US or Canada. You might see cattle feed, poultry feed, hog feed, sheep feed etc. but where have you ever seen "dog feed" on a bag of dog kibble?

When I see people calling dog food "feed" I conjure up an image of someone who doesn't respect a dog for what it is, man's best friend. Do you really think so little of your dogs or dogs in general? :(

The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook and what requires attention.

William James
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:01 pm

I have always tried very hard to make sure my best friend is human. And I have never been my dogs Dad. Given that I love my dogs and treat them like the best dogs in the world. I feed them and take care of their needs since we have taken away their ability to take care of themselves.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:32 am

Out here we feed 'em food.

frontline

Post by frontline » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:51 am

smoothbean wrote:I think them City folks call it Food but alot of us Hicks call it Feed!
LMAO, I guess that's it, there must be a lot of hicks here or wannabe farmers. I live in farm country and the feed stores don't call dog food "feed' either, like grocery stores they do sell other products. This forum is the only place where I've heard dog-feed (used as a noun) or that feed is produced for people, lol.
ezzy333 wrote:We don't eat horses, worms, bugs, and many other things including people but we still feed them, produce feed for them etc.
I don't know what worms or bugs have to do with it (do you buy food or feed for them, I may have misunderstood) but it wasn't that long ago that horses were eaten in the US or used to feed zoo animals. In 2006 the slaughter of horses for meat was banned but that may change, http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/11/30/hor ... -near-you/ . You can still eat horse in some cities in Canada.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:01 am

Feed is fed to food-producing animals and we do not eat dog in the US or Canada.
This is where the worms and bugs come from. Seriously I don't know by definition what is proper but it has been an interesting discussion.

Ezzy

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:10 pm

frontline wrote:
smoothbean wrote:I think them City folks call it Food but alot of us Hicks call it Feed!
LMAO, I guess that's it, there must be a lot of hicks here or wannabe farmers. I live in farm country and the feed stores don't call dog food "feed' either, like grocery stores they do sell other products. This forum is the only place where I've heard dog-feed (used as a noun) or that feed is produced for people, lol.
Does it matter what people call it? Is it negatively affecting your well-being?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:37 pm

What? Y'all don't go into the feed store and ask where the puppynoms are? :D
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm

The Cambridge (British) definition of the noun feed is "food that is used to feed animals that are not pets".

Oxford, however, defines the noun feed as "a meal for an animal" or "food for animals or plants".

It seems even the dictionaries have different definitions.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:39 am

What is it that the kids say?

OMG!!!!!!!!