food,food,food,......

SCT

Re: food,food,food,......

Post by SCT » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:09 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:
SCT wrote:Here's a food quality chart if anyone cares to ponder. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

I've used Loyall pro for a few months but am trying out Inukshuk from Canada soon. I expect to see a difference, but if not I'll probably go back to Loyall as it has been good for my pointers. At least their turds are solid. I was told by a friend that when he switched to Loyall from Exceed from Sam's Club, his dogs would run 1 mph faster and for a longer period. The Astro can give you some statistics for ground cover.
i could understand the dog running longer but faster too? really?
Just telling you what he said. I didn't look at the data on the Astro.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:34 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:
SCT wrote:Here's a food quality chart if anyone cares to ponder. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

I've used Loyall pro for a few months but am trying out Inukshuk from Canada soon. I expect to see a difference, but if not I'll probably go back to Loyall as it has been good for my pointers. At least their turds are solid. I was told by a friend that when he switched to Loyall from Exceed from Sam's Club, his dogs would run 1 mph faster and for a longer period. The Astro can give you some statistics for ground cover.
They run faster looking for thefeed they use to get. Hard to believe some of the things people see.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:41 am

ezzy333 wrote:
ibbowhunting wrote:

They run faster looking for thefeed they use to get. Hard to believe some of the things people see.

Ezzy
:lol: yep hard to believe but what if its true!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:07 am

Why would anyone just dismiss what SCT posted. There are numerous studies on greyhounds showing a certain nutritional profile increases speed. Whether this is true of Loyall, who knows, but there is scientific back-up for this concept.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:24 am

mcbosco wrote:Why would anyone just dismiss what SCT posted. There are numerous studies on greyhounds showing a certain nutritional profile increases speed. Whether this is true of Loyall, who knows, but there is scientific back-up for this concept.
Leys stop and think for a minute. You are saying that a greyhound can run faster in a race where that is what they are trying to do. Now tell me what that has to do with a dog that is hunting and not trying to see how fast it can run? The dog could hunt faster if it wanted to before the change in feeds so why did changing feeds make it decide to hunt faster? If this whole thing is true, then we all should be able to duplicate it which is required in any scientific theory to prove it true. Sal, you have the perfect dog to test it on. Change your feed and tell us how much faster he hunts? Or do you think maybe he hunts pretty much at the speed his breeding produces already and a change in feed won't make any difference?

Anxiou to here your results! And if it is true is that what you want? I know I don't as I like my dogs to hunt at the speed they feel comfortable with now and it is as fast as I keep up with. Or maybe I can switch what I eat and make the Olympics.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:28 am

mcbosco wrote:Dr. Tim's is a good way to go because you can buy it on PetFlow in 44lb bags, no shipping cost or tax.
What is the cost?
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:39 am

Georgia Boy wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Dr. Tim's is a good way to go because you can buy it on PetFlow in 44lb bags, no shipping cost or tax.
What is the cost?
It is about twice as much as Diamond and many of the good quality feeds that are available.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:07 am

Georgia Boy wrote:
What is the cost?
The 35/25 is $1.40 lb and the 30/20 is $1.22lb, In comparison, PPP is $1.45lb in my area. Yes it is more expensive than Diamond, but everything is for good reason.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:12 am

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Why would anyone just dismiss what SCT posted. There are numerous studies on greyhounds showing a certain nutritional profile increases speed. Whether this is true of Loyall, who knows, but there is scientific back-up for this concept.
Leys stop and think for a minute. You are saying that a greyhound can run faster in a race where that is what they are trying to do. Now tell me what that has to do with a dog that is hunting and not trying to see how fast it can run? The dog could hunt faster if it wanted to before the change in feeds so why did changing feeds make it decide to hunt faster? If this whole thing is true, then we all should be able to duplicate it which is required in any scientific theory to prove it true. Sal, you have the perfect dog to test it on. Change your feed and tell us how much faster he hunts? Or do you think maybe he hunts pretty much at the speed his breeding produces already and a change in feed won't make any difference?

Anxiou to here your results! And if it is true is that what you want? I know I don't as I like my dogs to hunt at the speed they feel comfortable with now and it is as fast as I keep up with. Or maybe I can switch what I eat and make the Olympics.

Ezzy
With all due respect, that is not the context of the comment. Here is what the OP said, please read carefully:

"I was told by a friend that when he switched to Loyall from Exceed from Sam's Club, his dogs would run 1 mph faster and for a longer period."

And you cynically pounced on the guy. The truth is speed and endurance are influenced by diet. You are talking about something else. You can read any of the studies on greyhounds or the Penn Beagle Studies if you need anymore information, and generally you do.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:41 am

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
With all due respect, that is not the context of the comment. Here is what the OP said, please read carefully:

"I was told by a friend that when he switched to Loyall from Exceed from Sam's Club, his dogs would run 1 mph faster and for a longer period."

And you cynically pounced on the guy. The truth is speed and endurance are influenced by diet. You are talking about something else. You can read any of the studies on greyhounds or the Penn Beagle Studies if you need anymore information, and generally you do.
Thank you. This coming from the individual who posted all of Diamonds recalls but couldn't find any from any other company even though they were all posted on the same sheet. Think there were 40 or 50 on the list in the past year. But I do agree we all need more help but some just can't admit it.

Ezzy

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Ezzy,

Have you considered taking a moratorium on food related posts? Folks may like to have a discussion that doesn't turn into an argument with you.

Chris

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:19 pm

cmc274 wrote:Ezzy,

Have you considered taking a moratorium on food related posts? Folks may like to have a discussion that doesn't turn into an argument with you.

Chris
No I hadn't thought of it but maybe we should just do away with the health and nutrition forum as it seems I am answering most of the serious questions through the Private Messages anyway.

Ezzy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:41 pm

PetFlow has "Surprise" coupons on their Facebook page today.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:07 pm

PetFlow had a 30% off special over the 4th and it applied to free shipping items as well.

PetFlow is nice because the company has a warehouse in Nevada and in New Jersey, so shipping is pretty quick no matter where you are.

It makes sense for some people and some items.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:41 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Chris
No I hadn't thought of it but maybe we should just do away with the health and nutrition forum as it seems I am answering most of the serious questions through the Private Messages anyway.

Ezzy
Of course you are :roll:

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:00 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Chris

Ezzy
This seems a bit out of line to me. We are all aware that you are the consummate expert in all things nutrition, but I suspect that there are many here asking serious questions and hoping for serious answers from other birddog owners, not just the Oracle of Nutrition!

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:04 pm

As has been said before "feed what is readily available, affordable, and your dog does well on".

Fact of the matter is, there is no "Best" dog food. There are mostly very good with some not so good dog foods and yet most dogs would do just fine with the not so good.

I have found that picking dog foods is such a huge issue for the dog owner NOT the dog. We agonize, research, make up or minds just to change them again. We buy one brand/type of feed only to be swayed to try something else. It is like we just get the itch to just change foods just to say that we are trying something new. We dog owners feel that because we eat different foods the dogs should as well or that maybe they get bored with it. If a dog is hungry it will eat.

I would submit that almost every newbie on this forum "myself included" has asked the same "food questions". And the same answers are given. That is because dog food is basically as cutting edge as it is ever going to get.

So just pick a dog food that appeals to you and your dog and that you can afford and that you can easily purchase. And then stick with it and be done with it. Then just concetrate on other things in life more important than picking the "ultimate dog food". How do I know there is no ultimate dog food because I asked these same questions 2 years ago on this forum and the advice hasn't changed. :D

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:13 pm

Out of curiosity what dog food did you end up choosing?

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:42 am

I consider Ezzy an expert, but I also consider experts the ones who have fed dogs for many years and pay attention to ingredients, performance, coat, and stools. Experience and expertese are both important and no one person has all the answers. Likely, there is an individuality of need that a small percentage of dogs have. Generally though, most working dogs do well on most good feeds.

Some people enjoy paying high prices for feed but I don't. Of course, I don't hunt nearly as much as I used to, and I only feed a couple of dogs. Even so, I'm a tightwad with feed even though I can afford the more expensive ones. It's just that you reach a point of diminishing return when you feed a more expensive feed than say Diamond 26-18, Sportsmix 26-18, Loyall etc. For ones that hunt hard, I don't have a problem with feeding hotter feeds no matter the cost if you can afford it.

My Dad used to feed his coonhounds hog pellets and raw coons and possums, and they did well. Perhaps we are making too much out of the topic.
big steve

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 am

ezzy333 wrote:[

Ezzy
I would think that if you get tired before your dog does, your feed must be just right. :) I think their is a little more involved with performance besides dog feed. :)

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:24 am

big steve46 wrote:Perhaps we are making too much out of the topic.
That one.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:00 am

[quote="AZ Brittany Guy

I think their is a little more involved with performance besides dog feed. :)[/quote]

Exactly x2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Hondo wrote:Out of curiosity what dog food did you end up choosing?
nothing yet

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:45 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:
Hondo wrote:Out of curiosity what dog food did you end up choosing?
nothing yet
Did you download the spreadsheet I made? If not, download it, look at all the feeds on there, go to your local feed store/pet store (or where ever you buy your food), right down the local prices, come back and input the prices you pay and pick the lowest (or next to lowest) price per day to feed. Seriously. Every feed on the spread sheet is a decent food. One thing I learned while putting that together is alot of those feeds are pretty similar. They all work. Everything else is marketing.

Angus

Post by Angus » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:14 pm

There is a lot of good info in this thread if you know how to pick it out.

Most food/nutrition threads boil down to opinions, and everybody's opinion is the correct one. There is a lot of data thrown around and some very good points made. It all boils down to the same old thing. Trial and error on a per dog basis, and what fits your wallet.

While my dogs may do just dandy on PPP, I won't feed it because it doesn't meet what I want for my dogs. I and MY are the key words there; the dogs don't care as long as their belly is full. It's not elitist; what I feed is based on the standards I set. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the dogs are healthy.

What I pay and feed really doesn't matter. Instead I argue my opinion in the end just like the rest, and that's no reason to shut this forum down. Like I said above; there is a ton of good info in this thread and others on here. All sides to fit all opinions are expressed smoewhere in a food thread.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Angus....excellent post. We all feed different foods for different reasons, but as you said...it is based on our personal opinions and until some unbiased source can provide significant quantitative evidence (food x makes dogs live 2 years longer than average or increases some important performance measure by a meaningful amount), we will continue to do so, and will probably have to agree to disagree!

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:45 pm

After 2 posts in this thread, I thought maybe I should at least answer the original poster! :wink:

The top 3 foods I might list might not be the best for your particular pup, but here's how I would suggest you approach the problem. 1st decide whether or not you want to go grain-free or not. There is generally a price premium for doing so. There are many opinions on here as to whether or not it is worthwhile. Once you've made this decision, then take a look at ingredients of some of the foods that fit your price point and pick the one that sounds the best to you....keeping in mind that ingredients are ordered by weight, so things that aren't dried/dehydrated are a bit biased in the order for a "dry" food. Feed this to your pup for awhile and see how he does... if he does well....good attitude, good appetite, good coat/eyes, good weight, good stools....you've found a good food for YOUR dog!

I do feed a bit "hotter" food starting about 2 months before hunting season until the end of hunting season. Have no quantifiable evidence that it does any thing but make me feel better, but it works for me and my dogs. I don't do a lot of conditioning of my dogs prior to hunting season and between two of them typically hunt a 9 day stretch in SD at the beginning of each season. They are really beat by the end (me too!), but between proper rest, hydration, and food they hunt each and every day and still whine to hunt everytime the tailgate opens. Or maybe they're thinking "oh no, not again"!!! :grin:

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:23 am

PrairieGoat wrote:After 2 posts in this thread, I thought maybe I should at least answer the original poster! :wink:

The top 3 foods I might list might not be the best for your particular pup, but here's how I would suggest you approach the problem. 1st decide whether or not you want to go grain-free or not. There is generally a price premium for doing so. There are many opinions on here as to whether or not it is worthwhile. Once you've made this decision, then take a look at ingredients of some of the foods that fit your price point and pick the one that sounds the best to you....keeping in mind that ingredients are ordered by weight, so things that aren't dried/dehydrated are a bit biased in the order for a "dry" food. Feed this to your pup for awhile and see how he does... if he does well....good attitude, good appetite, good coat/eyes, good weight, good stools....you've found a good food for YOU
Makes sence to me.

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 am

I feed my dogs table scraps and the 'whatever-is-freezer-burnt-this-week' special. Once upon a time I was feeding a lower quality food. I upgraded to Purina Pro Plan Performance and raw mixed. Noticed a HUGE difference in the dogs.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:37 am

Starting a so called "hotter" feed 2 months before training starts is right on. I think the best is the same food year round and feed according to caloric needs but if you go 2 months prior to training you give the dogs' body time to acclimate to the food. More importantly it (the "hotter" feed, which I assume is a higher fat/protein ration) resets the metabolic pathways so the dog is more efficient at using the "hotter" feed and the nutrients are used where they are supposed to be used-protein for muscle building and maintanence, not energy use; fat for energy; carbs for some minor functions. In sled dog world we have been able to shave off easily a month of training by feeding these foods well ahead of training being begun.

How to assess training improvements? Recovery is much quicker(right after exercise and the next exercise event), weight holds better, respiratory rate lower, muscles grow at a better rate, endurance goes up, appetite stays strong and they handle the increase of intensity in training with out injuries.

Nutrition, training and genetics makes up a sporting dog. In that order of importance, in many folks' opinions that I value.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:22 pm

This booklet was mentioned in a nutrition article in the Aug. 2011 issue of Gun Dog Magazine.

I found it to be very informative. It explained a lot of the science that goes into dog food nutrition. Obviously there is a slight Eukanuba bias.

http://www.euksport.com/sportingDog/en_ ... pdated.pdf

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:26 pm

ok i'm still on the hunt for a good dog food for my 7+ old britt she is our house pet and were working on training her to be a great foot hunting grouse dog, next month i'm thinking of running her in the navhda NA test,this fall i'm think of heading west to get her on some phez with that being said she is not a trial dog, aleast not yet. finding alot of the foods mentioned in this post in northern minnesota isnt as easy as it seems, but a local store carrys Taste of the Wild & Diamond Naturals Chicken and rice i think i would be feeding dr tims pursuit if i could find in locally TOTW gets good ratings on dogfoodadviser daimond naturals get 4 of 5 which i think is a good rating i think the price for TOTW is the same for all four mixes so any input on these foods would help me out

TOTW Pacific Stream 25/15 Salmon
TOTW Sierra Mountain 25/15 Lamb
TOTW High Prairie 32/18 Bison/Venison
TOTW Wetlands 32/18 fowl
or
Diamond Naturals Chicken And Rice 26/16
they my have other diamond food if there is a better mix i should be looking for

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:52 pm

You can buy Dr. Tim's Pursuit for $1.25lb on PetFlow. TOTW costs much more like $1.50+ a lb and you will feed a lot more.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:28 pm

i guess i didnt realize that TOTW is a diamond product and falls under there recalls :(

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:50 am

You can buy Dr. Tim's Pursuit for $1.25lb on PetFlow. TOTW costs much more like $1.50+ a lb and you will feed a lot more.
I switched to this food about 2 months ago. My GSP wasn't a great eater and therefore, hard to keep weight on. I started him on 3c/day and he has gained 6# so I have cut him back to 2-2.5/day. I am feeding less and he likes the food and is doing very well on it.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
ibbowhunting wrote:

Ezzy
I didn't even know this thread was still going. Honestly speaking, I didn't believe him when he told me his dog ran 1 mile an hour faster on Loyall, but I was in a food transition at the time so I switched. Since then I didn't see any changes in my dogs performance or appearance and have now switched to Inukshuk 32/32. I am really happy with it so far. And, I had to switch quickly with no transition and both my pointers had no problem with the switch, and my male has a sensitive stomach when it comes to food changes. Their stools were great right form the start and I really like the ingredient line up. 3 meat products before whole grain. The bags are vacuum sealed and have a 14month shelf life. The cost is low considering the quality at under $1 per lb.. The catch is getting it to your door. It's hot food, but I'll use it year round and just feed a bit less in the off season. If I have a litter of pups next year I'll switch to their 26/16 so it's not too rich for the pups.

Steve

My friend could have been mistaken considering how dogs run in different terrain. Also, I don't think Loyall is anything special when it comes to quality so....I'm still not sure I buy it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Yet none of my education or my 30+ plus years in the practice of dental medicine should be considered a precondition for writing and editing the Dog Food Advisor.

No, I’m not a veterinarian. However, I am considered an authority on reading and interpreting pet food labels.

Where I Get My Information

The many articles you’ll find here are the direct result of information I’ve personally aggregated from readily available public sources…

Books, journals, and published research materials at the United States National Institute of Health PubMed medical libraries.

And of course, from dog food company resources, too.

All the reviews on this website represent many thousands of hours of my own hard work — which I do whenever I’m not taking care of my human patients.

Who Owns The Dog Food Advisor?

The Dog Food Advisor is a personal blog written and edited by me. The views and opinions expressed here are presented in good faith and are strictly my own.
This is the person writing the blog known as the Dog Food Advisory. Not a nutritionist, or anyone that has even studied in that area, and yet is an authority in reading dog food labels. Probably true but you all have to remember you are just as much an authority on reading labels as anyone else in the world. After all, all they do is tell you what ingredients are used in the feed but little about how much and nothing about quality or why they are used.

A prime example of how anyone can be an expert on the internet. I will give him credit though for telling everyone he has no credentials while there are many that without the integritry to do even that.

Ezzy

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:08 pm

I didn't even know this thread was still going. Honestly speaking, I didn't believe him when he told me his dog ran 1 mile an hour faster on Loyall, but I was in a food transition at the time so I switched. Since then I didn't see any changes in my dogs performance or appearance and have now switched to Inukshuk 32/32. I am really happy with it so far. And, I had to switch quickly with no transition and both my pointers had no problem with the switch, and my male has a sensitive stomach when it comes to food changes. Their stools were great right form the start and I really like the ingredient line up. 3 meat products before whole grain. The bags are vacuum sealed and have a 14month shelf life. The cost is low considering the quality at under $1 per lb.. The catch is getting it to your door. It's hot food, but I'll use it year round and just feed a bit less in the off season. If I have a litter of pups next year I'll switch to their 26/16 so it's not too rich for the pups.

Steve

My friend could have been mistaken considering how dogs run in different terrain. Also, I don't think Loyall is anything special when it comes to quality so....I'm still not sure I buy it.
What is the food costing you with shipping?

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:02 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Yet none of my education or my 30+ plus years in the practice of dental medicine should be considered a precondition for writing and editing the Dog Food Advisor.

No, I’m not a veterinarian. However, I am considered an authority on reading and interpreting pet food labels.

Where I Get My Information

The many articles you’ll find here are the direct result of information I’ve personally aggregated from readily available public sources…

Books, journals, and published research materials at the United States National Institute of Health PubMed medical libraries.

And of course, from dog food company resources, too.

All the reviews on this website represent many thousands of hours of my own hard work — which I do whenever I’m not taking care of my human patients.

Who Owns The Dog Food Advisor?

The Dog Food Advisor is a personal blog written and edited by me. The views and opinions expressed here are presented in good faith and are strictly my own.
This is the person writing the blog known as the Dog Food Advisory. Not a nutritionist, or anyone that has even studied in that area, and yet is an authority in reading dog food labels. Probably true but you all have to remember you are just as much an authority on reading labels as anyone else in the world. After all, all they do is tell you what ingredients are used in the feed but little about how much and nothing about quality or why they are used.

A prime example of how anyone can be an expert on the internet. I will give him credit though for telling everyone he has no credentials while there are many that without the integritry to do even that.

Ezzy
well the dog food advisor may not be a doctor or a nutritionist but i think the info on that sight has some worth and i cannot see where the infomation that its provides is makeing the owner of that site any money , have you looked over that site? under the best dry dog foods there has to be 100 diffrent dog foods, those are some big shoe to fill if they rep that many foods. what do you feed your dogs? thanks in advance for your input

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:46 pm

There are some interesting theories about how the good dentist makes money. Go on the site and criticize Champion Food's Orijen & Acana or Brothers Complete and see what happens. There is actually some discussion on the how that site "works" on a legal discussion forum.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:

Steve

What is the food costing you with shipping?
We are trying to get at least two pallets shipped to UT and will be around $39 per 44lb bag. If you call them and ask, they may have someone in your area that you can get it from.

Steve

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 am

I have been feeding Loyall Active Adult for the last 2 years.

My dog does great on the food. They also have one of those get one bag free after so many bags purchased programs. Plus, at one point they were offering $5.00 off coupons in Gun Dog Magazine.

Worth looking into if you need suggestions on feeds to try.

-Hondo

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:10 pm

can anyone tell me the facts about diamond food recalls im still thinking of feeding taste of the wild but its listed under the recalled foods but from what i read it had nothing to do with the recall. is taste of the wild a trusted food? just a little leery of a dog food company that had more then one recall in recent past. im not try to start a argument, i'm just trying to get the facts. i no nothing about dog food or dog food makers. i can get taste of the wild locally thats why i'm askn

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 pm

For some, the facts get in the way of a good story, not you but others.

The FDA has published reports on both incidents. Just look them up. In both cases, you will probably decide there are better choices no matter how much or how little you want to spend.

Isn't Nutrisource easy for you to get locally? With the internet companies you can buy at a discount, pay no shipping or tax and never have to spend money on gas getting food.

I understand these guys in Big Lake, MN have special rates or no shipping for in state.

http://www.dogfooddirect.com/store/c/19-Dog-Food.aspx

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Diamond along with many other companies had a voluntary recall for salmonells exposure a few months ago and also had a recall for aflotoxin a couple of years ago out of one of their facilities. I posted the 50 or more recalls for salmonella that have happened in the past year though many were not publisized like the Diamond since the feed is not that widely distributed plus many interenet boards do not have a Diamond police squad like we do. Both recalls should not have been necessary but both of them are for a somewhat common occurance in feed manufacturing today. One of the comforting things is Diamond has been very forthcoming in both cases and have done what a good compaly would do by reporting the problems themselves and issuing the recalls before theproblem was even confirmed.

Every company has some problems and I will take the company that is up front about them and follows through with the effort to correct them. How many food companies, auto companies and others have recalls when needed. Ford right now has one serious enough in their mind that they will come get your vehicle, fix it, and bring it back to you. I don't think that indicates they are a poorer company because of it. Same goes for Diamond. That said buy from who you are comfortable with. I know I am.

Ezzy

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:59 pm

never seen nutrisource, yep discover that dog food direct has shipping for around 5 bucks in my area, i still like the idea of picking up the dog food at a local store

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:can anyone tell me the facts about diamond food recalls im still thinking of feeding taste of the wild but its listed under the recalled foods but from what i read it had nothing to do with the recall. is taste of the wild a trusted food? just a little leery of a dog food company that had more then one recall in recent past. im not try to start a argument, i'm just trying to get the facts. i no nothing about dog food or dog food makers. i can get taste of the wild locally thats why i'm askn
What facts do you want? You can check out Diamond's website for their side of the issue; check out the FDA"s site; and read gazillions of hysterical posts all over the Internet to get 'facts' about Diamond products from self-proclaimed experts.

If you care to investigate, you'll see that dozens of non-Diamond dog food brands have been recalled at some point, for a variety of reasons.

If you think you'd like to try TOTW, go for it and see how your pooch does on it. I fed it for a couple of years and my dogs looked and performed very well with it. There were several things I didn't like about TOTW - a little over feeding produced sloppy stools, messy to clean up; my dogs were pretty gassy on it; their stools were r-a-n-k!; and with feeding five dogs, it was kind of expensive. But my dogs liked it, and did well on it otherwise. My setters got 2 cups a day at one daily feeding.

Several show handlers I know feed TOTW and like it because their dogs maintain great condition and have lovely coats, and TOTW has resulted in less stoolage to pick up.

To reduce costs, a few months ago I switched to Diamond Extreme Athlete, and my dogs are doing just as well, also on 2 cups. Here TOTW is $47/30#. EA is $35/40#. If they drop off in any way, I'll go back to TOTW in a heartbeat.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:28 pm

What facts do you want? You can check out Diamond's website for their side of the issue; check out the FDA"s site; and read gazillions of hysterical posts all over the Internet to get 'facts' about Diamond products from self-proclaimed experts.
Ya, but I would advise to ignore the gazillions of hysterical posts all over the internet. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 am

ibbowhunting wrote:never seen nutrisource, yep discover that dog food direct has shipping for around 5 bucks in my area, i still like the idea of picking up the dog food at a local store
I don't, it is easier clicking the box "ship every 5 weeks" than wasting time going to the store.