1960's

nanney1

1960's

Post by nanney1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:24 am

For those that owned dogs during this time or earlier, what did you feed your dogs?

My first dog, a Pointer, came to us in mid-70's and lived mainly on scraps and canned food. My mom would buy a few cans per week. When we didn't have enough table scraps, our dog got the canned food added to whatever we had left over. We lived in an open area and had no kennel or fenced in yard. She stayed lean and could run and roam forever on this diet.

Brittguy

Re: 1960's

Post by Brittguy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:23 am

Purina, Joy , Iams. Iams was a fine meal and you had to mix it with water.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:04 pm

Purina Dog Chow and canned horsemeat.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:30 pm

A little bit of table scraps each day & dry food ... I know we fed Purina some, don't remember the other brands though ... whatever was relatively less expensive. We switched brands pretty readily .. none of the 2-4 day transitioning to a new food.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:11 pm

In the early sixties, it was pretty much table scraps [meat scraps, corn meal or cornbread, milk gravy, etc.]. In the late sixties, it was mostly the cheapest dry food that could be found and some canned food from time to time when in a pinch :wink: . The dogs always seemed to do just fine and lived long lives, if they didn't get shot, hit by a car or something. :cry:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Table scraps, Tuffy's Hi Pro, Purina Dog Chow

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:13 pm

They ate a lot of corn out of the crib, got milk at the barn, scraps from the house and ate a lot of Pre-Pig Starter. In the winter they would get any animal we sometimes would lose from an injury or whatever. Stop to think about it they were eating practically every ingredient that are called fillers by a few and most of the things they tell dogs can't digest like whole milk, whole grain, and big bones. Times sure do change.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:29 am

ezzy333 wrote:They ate a lot of corn out of the crib, got milk at the barn, scraps from the house and ate a lot of Pre-Pig Starter. In the winter they would get any animal we sometimes would lose from an injury or whatever. Stop to think about it they were eating practically every ingredient that are called fillers by a few and most of the things they tell dogs can't digest like whole milk, whole grain, and big bones. Times sure do change.

Ezzy
You're right!.. times do change!.. of course, sometimes they change for the better... not very often but somethings anyway, i don't think anyone gives a dog vitimin #9's anymore thank Heavens... fed my first dog dry Purina and some scraps... he supplemented himself with ground hogs and stray cats I think... :lol:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:21 am

Cool thread! I wast born until the 70s but a lot of the examples make sense. I feed mainly raw meat now but the dogs still love the wheat shorts when mixed with water that i feed my hog. We call it malt-0-meal. The wheat shorts also passed the kick test with flying colors. Some Spilled chicken scratch was gobbled up by a few dogs the other day. I would try the horsemeat in a can for myself if it was still avalible. :mrgreen:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:32 am

gotpointers wrote:Cool thread! I wast born until the 70s but a lot of the examples make sense. I feed mainly raw meat now but the dogs still love the wheat shorts when mixed with water that i feed my hog. We call it malt-0-meal. The wheat shorts also passed the kick test with flying colors. Some Spilled chicken scratch was gobbled up by a few dogs the other day. I would try the horsemeat in a can for myself if it was still avalible. :mrgreen:
I wouldn't be surprised if horsemeat doesn't become readily available to you soon.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
gotpointers wrote:Cool thread! I wast born until the 70s but a lot of the examples make sense. I feed mainly raw meat now but the dogs still love the wheat shorts when mixed with water that i feed my hog. We call it malt-0-meal. The wheat shorts also passed the kick test with flying colors. Some Spilled chicken scratch was gobbled up by a few dogs the other day. I would try the horsemeat in a can for myself if it was still avalible. :mrgreen:
I wouldn't be surprised if horsemeat doesn't become readily available to you soon.
They are working on a few plants here in NM and TX. From what i was able to google there are no laws stopping me from butchering a horse. I know a few people would be after me for doing it though.

Xhipi1

Post by Xhipi1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 pm

im kind of wondering did you get vaccinate dogs the same we do now on a yearly basis?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:48 pm

I have never vacinated on a yearly basis, even now. Don't think anyone did other than rabies.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:42 am

Mostly table scraps and Ken-L-Ration or Dr. Ross (both horsemeat). Whenever my horses acted up, I would sing to them the TV jingle "Dr Ross dog food is dog gone good! Woof!"

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Last edited by zzweims on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:51 am

And we didn't vaccinate, except for rabies, and only because it was required by our county. I'm not even sure if/when the other vaccines were available. I do remember treating sick puppies in the 70's with beef broth and a feeding tube or eye dropper shoved down their throats. Not sure if it was parvo (relatively uncommon then) or distemper.

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Last edited by zzweims on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:52 am

My Dad bred beagles. Every Friday he would meet the food truck at a construction site and get everything that wasn't sold that week= raisin buns, egg salad sandwiches, hotdogs , salads etc. Dogs did great, which says, imo , that the North American dog pwner has been duped by the dog food industry into thinking they need .....................

"The product, Purina Dog Chow, went into national distribution in 1957 and immediately proved a huge success. Dog Chow captured 14.8 percent of the dog food market by the end of 1957, and became the market leader in August 1958. Purina's highly successful launch of its Dog Chow." to which we switched. quote

edited for spelling sight to site :roll:
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:03 pm

I was just a youngin', but I remember Joy dog food and scraps.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:I was just a youngin', but I remember Joy dog food and scraps.
That is what my grandmother fed her show poodles
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Waynes, according to my father.

windswept

Post by windswept » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Whatever was the cheapest at the grocery store on the day my mom was shopping. That and a little table scraps. Dogs always seemed to do well enough.
Kinda funny. Even with this first hand experience I'm always wanting the best for my dogs. Sucker!

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Our dogs were fed table scraps and dog chow. We were required to eat a bite of everything served for dinner so would sneak the the yucky stuff under the table to the dog. My grandfather fed his farm dogs scraps and the hunting dogs were fed hog chow.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:10 pm

I hope everyone sits back after reading this thread and realize just how far the pendelum has swung in the other direction with little, I said little not any, change in the dogs health. But I am sure we will comtinue to hear about how wonderful most of the high priced feeds are and the need for a 30/20 feed ifa dog is going to perform. I also hope you realize the 30 year old dogs we all idolize today perfromed on a feed with half of the nutients we think are necessary today.

Ezzy

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Kennel Ration - Iams since we lived in Dayton, Oh

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:26 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I hope everyone sits back after reading this thread and realize just how far the pendelum has swung in the other direction with little, I said little not any, change in the dogs health. But I am sure we will comtinue to hear about how wonderful most of the high priced feeds are and the need for a 30/20 feed ifa dog is going to perform. I also hope you realize the 30 year old dogs we all idolize today perfromed on a feed with half of the nutients we think are necessary today.

Ezzy

Amen!

The whole attitude towards dogs has changed. If a dog broke his leg or ............he was shot. No one spent a month's wages on cancer or broken leg surgery. It wasn't that we loved our dogs any less but priorities were different. I try to remind myself of that when my good vet suggests biopsies and ultrasound .......It's a dog. i don't treat it like it is human.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:13 am

30 year old dogs? That was a well kept secret. Oldest dog on record didn't make it to 30.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:12 am

ezzy333 wrote:I hope everyone sits back after reading this thread and realize just how far the pendelum has swung in the other direction with little, I said little not any, change in the dogs health. But I am sure we will comtinue to hear about how wonderful most of the high priced feeds are and the need for a 30/20 feed ifa dog is going to perform. I also hope you realize the 30 year old dogs we all idolize today perfromed on a feed with half of the nutients we think are necessary today.

Ezzy
http://www.redmoonpetfood.com/

I agree with you in some ways but others I don't. However, I draw the line with custom ordered food. This is excessive even for me.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:49 am

The good old days when even pregnancy didn't stop women from smoking and kids didn't wear seat belts. Fun to be nostalgic but there are also some things that improve with time and knowledge. Too bad there are more that don't. But then again I wasn't even born yet.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:37 am

Garrison wrote:The good old days when even pregnancy didn't stop women from smoking and kids didn't wear seat belts. Fun to be nostalgic but there are also some things that improve with time and knowledge. Too bad there are more that don't. But then again I wasn't even born yet.
Stop and look how many of the new improved ideas have been found to be bogus after a few years. Just this week they have come out with the fact that drinking moderatly while pregnant doesn't hurt a thing. Last week it was that sun screen causes more cancer than the sun ever did, And in the past year or so that caffene is actual good for you, bacon doesn't cause cancer, there are more problems eating "organic foods" that regular, bottled water has more impurities than tap water, and Obamacare is actually going to cost us all money instead of being free.

My mother use to tell us every thing in moderation and I think history proves her right.

Ezzy

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:02 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Garrison wrote:The good old days when even pregnancy didn't stop women from smoking and kids didn't wear seat belts. Fun to be nostalgic but there are also some things that improve with time and knowledge. Too bad there are more that don't. But then again I wasn't even born yet.
Stop and look how many of the new improved ideas have been found to be bogus after a few years. Just this week they have come out with the fact that drinking moderatly while pregnant doesn't hurt a thing. Last week it was that sun screen causes more cancer than the sun ever did, And in the past year or so that caffene is actual good for you, bacon doesn't cause cancer, there are more problems eating "organic foods" that regular, bottled water has more impurities than tap water, and Obamacare is actually going to cost us all money instead of being free.

My mother use to tell us every thing in moderation and I think history proves her right.

Ezzy
Your Mother sounds like a wise women.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:13 am

Garrison wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
Your Mother sounds like a wise women.
+1

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:53 am

I don't think anybody used the phrase "the good old days" in general. As you have pointed out , they were the bad old day" in many ways.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:18 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
This is exactly why I let most of these new ideas and studies go in one ear and out the other.

Charlie

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Well, accept the value of bran/fibre in inhibiting colon cancer please.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Sharon wrote:Well, accept the value of bran/fibre in inhibiting colon cancer please.
Yep, but even knowing that people still try to pick a dog food that produces the least stool. Doesn't make sense to me but like Sal says I need help.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Sharon wrote:Well, accept the value of bran/fibre in inhibiting colon cancer please.
Ya Sharon, I said most, not all. Although, I believe genetics plays more of a part than what we eat does.

Charlie

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:34 am

I had an Irish Setter in those days. A big goofy loveable dog that my parents bought me for my 13th birthday.
For the life of me I can't remember what we fed him! Did they have dry dog food back then? Probably Gravy Train or something equally horrible.

Times sure do change!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/