Diatomaceous Earth (food grade)

claybuster_aa

Diatomaceous Earth (food grade)

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Has anyone every used Diatomaceous Earth for killing fleas and other insects like ants around the home?

I noticed Tractor Supply sells two brands. One is a 20-lb bag from Red Lake Earth for $12.99. This contains Calcium Bentonite.
The other brand is called "Safer" and is 4-lbs for $7.99.

I went for the value and picked up the 20-lb bag of Red Lake. I hope I didn't make a mistake and get the wrong stuff.

Links:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/red-lake-e ... b--1019864

http://www.tractorsupply.com/safer-reg- ... b--1023455

I have a duster called the Pest Pistol. I did some dusting tonight outside around some firewood, and perimeter of the house.

I'm wonder if I decide to try it for a type of flea control, how to get on my dog without creating a lot of dust. I've have read you try to avoid breathing in the dust?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially on how it works and a general purpose natural bug killer.

Thanks,
Charlie
A good bird dog is always the right color

gotpointers

Re: Diatomaceous Earth (food grade)

Post by gotpointers » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:43 am

I have used it for a while now, i have a short attention span and i like to see quicker results when it comes to stuff like this. I would grab a handfull and rub it quickly into the fur of the dog. I didn't notice anything after a few days so i went back to permethirin based spray.
I do add some to the chicken scratch for the birds when i can remember. its a lot quicker and easier to just break out the sprayer or the ivermec. Also i felt it in my lungs, which i didn't like. It works by abrasion of the exoskeloton which results in dehydration resulting in death. I don't think you will see much as far as timely results. Maybe in the long term. I wouldint hesitate to sprinkle some over some dry feed then add water to keep the dust down. But you won't see me walking arount the yard sprinkling it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:05 am

Totally worthless for me since my dogs get wet and our humidity is high. It works okay as a crack and crevice for all kinds of bugs and as a carpet dust. There's nothing toxic in it. Massive respiratory irritant.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:02 am

It is great for slugs.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:32 am

mcbosco wrote:It is great for slugs.
And bedbugs.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:21 pm

i order it through amazon 50 pounds for about 50 bucks delivered
dust the kennels cuts down the flys
use it on the horses
around the house and for the birds
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:00 pm

It actually works pretty well and I was a skeptic at first. Folks that don't want to use an organophosphate often turn to it and hvae success. They often dust the house and the animal.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Thank you all for the replies and comments. I've done some more research on those two brands at Tractor Supply. The 20-LB bag is about 65% DE while the other is about 77%. Unless it works a heck of a lot better, I don't see justification in the cost difference per pound.

I haven't noticed any fleas yet this season so I have yet to test there (my last topical dose, Pet Armor, was about 2 months ago so wer'e getting close; either buy some more or test the DE). The ant population around the wood pile does seem to be subsiding somewhat. I live in a wooded area, lot of moisture and ants are always around. I diligently spray the sides of the foundation of the home, use granular type baits, gels, etc. The "Pest Pistol" does throw the DE very nicely. Still concerned about if I do decide to rub some into the dogs coat, how to keep her from breathing in the dust. Guess I'll have to give her head the t-shirt wrap for about 15-30 secs until I can work it into her coat. I try to avoid breathing in the dust for myself so I really don't want her to get a big whiff of the DE.
A good bird dog is always the right color

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Works great in the garden so far but have not tried on the dogs yet (we still have other stuff to use first). We were told to use food grade but cannot remember why. Just google and it will explain. I paid $50.00 for 30 lbs but that included tax and shipping plus two puffers for application. Got it at www.diatomaceousearth.net

Carla