Broken tooth

terrym

Broken tooth

Post by terrym » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Well my crazy Brittany broke a front lower fang ( incisor?) last night while we were away. He was crated for 2 hours and broke it off in there. At least half of tooth is gone and nerve and pulp are exposed but it doesn't even seem to bother him. No change in energy, feeding anything. So, what am I looking at here folks? I have no doubt this will hurt me more than him. Will they extract what is left ( should they?) or somehow cap it off? My worry about the cap is dogs being dogs some day he will likely bust it off again while chewing something right? Does this mean no more bones? I had also considered showing him as he has a long line of show champs in his pedigree but without a complete set of ivory I'm guessing that is out of the question now too? Poor little bugger, he turns 2 on July 4th.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Broken tooth

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:07 pm

I had a dog who could bend the bars of those heavy duty metal crates.
If you're keen on showing , I don't know what the rule is; maybe you can have an implant- $$$$$$$$$$$$$
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:54 am

The dog might not seem to be bothered, but with pulp and nerve exposed, it hurts. Extraction of a canine isn't such a great idea since those teeth preserve the stability of the jaw. Your vet should be able to refer you to a veterinary dentist, who can give the pooch a nice blingy crown.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:07 am

Yeah and get ready for the bill, that is $2,000 by me.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:34 am

I had a dog that broke his tooth. It never seemed to bother him. Could their construction be different than ours?

brittfans

Post by brittfans » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm

I had a dog do the same thing and they just pulled it .At the time the vet just charged me for a cleaning since they have to be asleep for that he said the pulling was simple.

bently

Post by bently » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:09 am

This happened to me ESS just a couple of weeks ago. Lower left canine, broke at an angle so half still ok. My vet instead of using a cap, ground down the sharp edge, pushed the pulp down and filled in with some kind of dental hardening agent. He said a metal cap may have worked but he has had good luck with with this. I noticed this on a Sunday and he drank and ate with half the tooth sticking out the side of his mouth but it had to hurt. I watered down his food and let it soften for the first week but everything is looking pretty good after 2 weeks.

bently

Post by bently » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:10 am

total bill with meds was $250. Looking at $800 or so if tooth had to be pulled.