Limping, but no pain?

cptn

Limping, but no pain?

Post by cptn » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:25 am

My 14 week old puppy is suddenly limping, but other than that, he shows absolutely no signs of any pain. He will only partially put weight on his front, right foot.

I've checked his nails, pads, webbing, and checked the entire leg for abrasions, sores, bug bites and there is nothing. And I've pressed all over the leg for soreness or a reaction, and nothing! I pressed around his neck, and nothing again. Unless he's trying to be really stoic.

It doesn't seem serious enough for a vet visit, but is there anything I should do or check for that I haven't already? He's been limping for about four hours, but he still seems playful and happy.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Limping, but no pain?

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:12 am

Growing pains possibly....be careful not to overfeed him.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:38 am

There are lots of things that can make a dog or person for that matter limp temporarily. I would just observe for a period of time and chances are it gets better...if it gets worse you consider the vet, but I would certainly give it the weekend....and 68 is right, we tend to over feed ourselves and our dogs in many cases.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Check the pads and in between the pads for a thorn or splinter, even a small stone. I found my dog limping and he had an acorn stuck between his pads that I didn't see right away.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:18 pm

I've seen that commonly over the years. In 10 days or less it's fine. My 6 year old setter has been lame for 2 weeks . Every week was better never got to 'fine". That's too long ; going to the vet Mon. morning.
In doing my own research , I found this link informative.

http://www.petdental.com/dog-care/dog-d ... r-leg.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Saw the vet ; the 6 year - old setter's 4 ligaments are torn through and knee is shattered.(TPO)
See the surgeon next week if that is the route that i decide to go.
$2500.00 + estimate
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/mus ... e_ligament
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Sorry to hear that Sharon, that's a tough call...
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:09 pm

I am so sorry to hear that Sharon. That is a tough decision and my thoughts and well wishes are with you regardless of what you decide. You have been and are a true internet friend and knowing how you feel about your dogs, I can only imagine the agony you are going through.

Sincerely,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Thank you

reba

Post by reba » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Let the puppy rest for a few WEEKS.

Continue the resting even after it gets better.

One of my dogs was carrying her right rear leg. With rest and some Metacam once a day she healed up in a couple of weeks.

My dogs tear around some awful, playing grab "bleep", and that is usually the cause of such injuries.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:28 pm

I have her on Metacam; according to the vets radiographs only surgury will fix this.