Dog food choice

WillieELk78GSP

Dog food choice

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:14 am

I am starting to ween my dog off puppy to normal kibble, she is at 12weeks now, an I just bought my first all age dog food, I got pulsar salmon, just wondering if its good kibble or if I should switch to something else? Thanks for the info
God Bless

MikeB

Re: Dog food choice

Post by MikeB » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:53 am

Looking at their web site for information on the food it looks to be an excellent product. I would try it and see how your dog does on the food. You can always change if needed.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 am

Lentils certainly are an interesting ingredient. Just keep in mind they add a ton of protein, so the meat component of the protein is probably not as high as other foods. There are also peas, which are also high in protein.

See how it goes.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:30 am

Am I reading this correctly? Your pup is 12 weeks old? That is in my opinion way to young to switch them off of puppy food. I find that they do well on puppy food until they are about 9 months old and then I switch them. I may be way out to left field but I think 12 weeks is way too young.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 am

I never switch them since I start them on adult food normally. I found that puppy food works well till they really start eating and then it is just too rich and I would have to limit them on feed or put up with loose stools and also over weight pups.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:16 pm

+1, I've never fed puppy food for any dog I've owned....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Pat Hastings, in her "Puppy Puzzle" DVD states that premium puppy food can cause lower legs in puppies to turn out. It can be repaired in a short period though while they are still young by using adult maintenance food.

Steve

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:57 pm

we had a lab puppy come in that was being overfed premium puppy food....little thing was walking on his pasterns....almost looked like his legs were broken.

Few days on a adult feed , fed at the right rate and he was up on his feet and running.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Marketing hype is the only reason I can see anybody using "so called" puppy feed. It is over priced and SO unnecessary. So, to answer your question, switch any time you want.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:14 pm

birddogger wrote:Marketing hype is the only reason I can see anybody using "so called" puppy feed. It is over priced and SO unnecessary. So, to answer your question, switch any time you want.

Charlie
Point taken, I am starting to switch now to pulsar all ages salmon feed. It sounds and looks good since I have done it though pup has been acting more hyper than drops like a rock when she is worn out, not sure if that's a good thing? Thanks everyone for your input!!
God Bless

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 pm

WillieELk78GSP wrote:
birddogger wrote:Marketing hype is the only reason I can see anybody using "so called" puppy feed. It is over priced and SO unnecessary. So, to answer your question, switch any time you want.

Charlie
Point taken, I am starting to switch now to pulsar all ages salmon feed. It sounds and looks good since I have done it though pup has been acting more hyper than drops like a rock when she is worn out, not sure if that's a good thing? Thanks everyone for your input!!
Perfectly normal. Good luck with your pup!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:20 am

WillieELk78GSP wrote:pup has been acting more hyper than drops like a rock when she is worn out, not sure if that's a good thing? Thanks everyone for your input!!
I would be worried if she wasn't doing this! Puppies (much like grandkids) typically only have two speeds......a blur and asleep.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm

SCT wrote:Pat Hastings, in her "Puppy Puzzle" DVD states that premium puppy food can cause lower legs in puppies to turn out. It can be repaired in a short period though while they are still young by using adult maintenance food.

Steve
The kennet training my GSP told me the same thing. Puppy food causes them to grow too fast, sometimes. He switches his to adult foor around 6 months. I did at 8 months and would have sooner if I knew that.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:29 pm

birddog1968 wrote:we had a lab puppy come in that was being overfed premium puppy food....little thing was walking on his pasterns....almost looked like his legs were broken.

Few days on a adult feed , fed at the right rate and he was up on his feet and running.
I am sure some people will cry BS, but that is why they developed large breed puppy food. I use it up until 8-10 months old.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com