torn flap of skin

KFhunter

torn flap of skin

Post by KFhunter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Hey quick question if this warrants a suture

Dog got a stick on her inner thigh and it tore the skin in a < shape with each side 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches. No muscle or deeper tissue damage just caught the skin and ripped it.

I washed out the dirt and junk, but didn't have a needle or staple gun to stick the loose flap of skin back.

trip to vet in the AM ?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: torn flap of skin

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Could try taping it down if its not in a hard spot to tape or keep tape/vet wrap on......

Vet will cost ya but maybe some peace of mind......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:52 pm

I'll give it a good looking over in the AM

wish I had a skin stapler

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:31 am

Dead skin probably needs to be cut off by now. Best let the vet do it. It's only money, you'll get more, you always do. That's what they tell me at the horse auctions anyway.
CJ

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:46 am

Any news? And not to jack the thread but I noticed a surgical stapler was mentioned a few times here, where can someone get one of those? I have looked at different websites with no luck, is that something I would have to talk to my vet about?

Best of luck on your dog, hope everything turns out well!

Corry

MTR

Post by MTR » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:16 am

Ghosted3 wrote:Any news? And not to jack the thread but I noticed a surgical stapler was mentioned a few times here, where can someone get one of those? I have looked at different websites with no luck, is that something I would have to talk to my vet about?

Best of luck on your dog, hope everything turns out well!

Corry
I keep this one in my vest pack : http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Disposab ... QUNNKCHJMG
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:54 am

Skin Staplers can cause more problems than they fix. A little bit of residue stapled into the skin can cause a big infection. Personally I'd see the vet to ask if a couple stitches needs to be put iput in . For me it would be worth it.
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:05 am

I have used EMT gel on a few minor cuts and scrapes. If it appears to be minor and you have cleaned it out well then use the gel to close it up. That has worked in the past for me.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:58 pm

cjhills wrote:Dead skin probably needs to be cut off by now. Best let the vet do it. It's only money, you'll get more, you always do. That's what they tell me at the horse auctions anyway. CJ

It's amazing how fast dead skin is evident. The wound can't completely heal as long as dead skin is there. I learned this the hard way.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 pm

You only have about 8 hours to staple or suture, after that it will require debriding
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com