If You Feed Sweet Potato Treats, Read This !

Doc E

If You Feed Sweet Potato Treats, Read This !

Post by Doc E » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Story at-a-glance
In addition to chicken jerky treats made in China, there is also now concern about sweet potato treats and possibly pork treats and cat treats imported from China as well.
Anecdotal reports from veterinarians indicate concerns about sweet potato pet treats made in China. According to the Veterinary Information Network, “Although no evidence is available that these sweet potato treats cause kidney issues similar to those related to chicken jerky treats, pet owners should be aware of the possibility.”
To protect your own dog or cat, avoid feeding any pet food or treat made in China. Homemade treats are easy to make and can give you complete peace of mind that you’re not feeding your pet something potentially toxic.

The whole story
Click Here : http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... reats.aspx

This DOES NOT say that sweet potatoes are bad (they are a great doggie snack). It is saying that Sweet potato treats made in China are something to avoid.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

SubMariner

Re: If You Feed Sweet Potato Treats, Read This !

Post by SubMariner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:51 am

+1

Everyone needs to read the fine print on their food these days, human or otherwise. Beware of "distributed by" and look closely for the country of origin. If it doesn't come from the US or Canada, I don't buy it.

Also, just because the the name of the brand is "US Dog" or "Uncle Sam's", don't let that fool you either. OR if it is a brand that you previously bought that was US made, because many are sourcing cheaper through China now. Case in point: I used to buy Sergeant's bully sticks. About six months ago they changed to sourcing this product from CHINA, not the US!

Caveat emptor; let the buyer beware!
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 am

[quote="SubMariner"]+1

Also, just because the the name of the brand is "US Dog" or "Uncle Sam's", don't let that fool you either.

I have seen AKC treats that were made in China

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am

nanney1 wrote:
SubMariner wrote:+1

Also, just because the the name of the brand is "US Dog" or "Uncle Sam's", don't let that fool you either.

I have seen AKC treats that were made in China

Yup, that happened to me. I was at Menards doing some home remodeling shopping and wandered into their pet area. The AKC treats were .75 after rebate, so I picked up several. Got home and read the fine print, to be disappointed that the AMERICAN Kennel Club was having them made in China. The neighbor doesn't give a hoot about what they give their farm dogs, so I passed them on.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:46 am

If you need rewards for training try a small bag of Royal Canin Labrador. The kibble is giant and it is much cheaper than treats.