Acana Formula Change

joesuits4

Acana Formula Change

Post by joesuits4 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:43 am

With the adding of lentils, how many that feed Acana will continue with the new formula? If you will be selecting another kibble, what will your choice be?

Thanks!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Acana Formula Change

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:35 am

Why would you change because of a legume being added? Wouldn't you change because the dog isn't doing good and not jut because they started using something that probably makes the food better? Bet if you asked they might share the trials that show why they included them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:19 am

joesuits4 wrote:With the adding of lentils, how many that feed Acana will continue with the new formula? If you will be selecting another kibble, what will your choice be?

Thanks!
Less meat more vegetable protein and greater stool volume. The company was sold last year so they are in the process of cheapening the formulas.

For over $2lb, there are better foods.

The company does no trials and has no in-house kennel. The move is solely to save money on ingredients.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:14 am

Unless you have used the feed you are just blowing smoke. Feed quality is judged by what it does for the dog and not by someone that has no knowledge of how the feed is formulated or the quality of the ingredients used. I do know any legume is a source of quality protein but just as important it is used as a source of natural vitamins.

Tell us what syptoms did your dog have that indicated the feed was bad and that there were better $2/lb.feeds being sold? I have never found a reason to even consider using a feed that expensive when there absolutely no need for doing it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:40 am

ezzy333 wrote:Unless you have used the feed you are just blowing smoke. Feed quality is judged by what it does for the dog and not by someone that has no knowledge of how the feed is formulated or the quality of the ingredients used. I do know any legume is a source of quality protein but just as important it is used as a source of natural vitamins.

Tell us what syptoms did your dog have that indicated the feed was bad and that there were better $2/lb.feeds being sold? I have never found a reason to even consider using a feed that expensive when there absolutely no need for doing it.

Ezzy
You are naive if you think this company subsituted lentils for meat because it was better. Read again what I said about $2lb and see if you can figure out what I was trying to say.

Perhaps moderating is something you should step away from for a while. Your responses are generally incoherent, bias and light on facts.

Why did you jump on the OP in the first place?

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:45 pm

Very few companies actually do feeding trials.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

MNeric

Post by MNeric » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm not 100% sure why you think lentils are bad. Protein from legumes is usually very high quality, and lentils have a very low glycemic index. If they're switching from carbohydrates like corn, wheat, or wheat flour, then you're only getting better food. If they're switching out barley or brown rice for lentils, I'd guess it's probably an even trade. There are different advantages to both rice and lentils, but pair the two together and you have an extra healthy carb source. Also, there's an easy way to tell if they substitute too many lentils for meat, as lentils are high in fiber as well. Check the G.A. of the food, before and after, and if they fiber content has risen dramatically, then you know they're trying to save money. Anyways, there should be no reason to switch from a food based on lentils until you see how it affects your dog(s).

Savage Destiny

Post by Savage Destiny » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:59 am

Where exactly are you getting that they traded meat for lentils? Have you even read the new ingredient lists, looked at the guaranteed analysis, or anything at all?

They took out a lot of the potato and replaced with lentils and field beans. Some meat ingredients actually moved up higher on the list than they were before. The meat/veg & carb ratio is still 60/40. Calorie density changed very little. Protein changed 1%.

Personally, I think this is a good change. Potato is very starchy and carb-dense. Lentils are much less so. I wouldn't call it "cheapening" the food either, since I'm fairly certain that lentils cost more than potato.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Champion Pet didn't get bought out last year, they have a partnered with Bedford Capital but the family is still running the company.

With commodoties on a constant change you'll likely see many companies changing ingredients. Haven't heard anything negative about the feeding of lentils in petfood and numerous companies have begun to formulate with them.
Without changing some ingredients, pet food would cost even more than they do now.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:54 pm

I was concerned so I contacted the company and this was the explanation that I got about the new partner and the formula change.
There have been recent changes to our ACANA Regional foods, but the formulas have been improved, this is no reason to be disappointed! The improvements to our ACANA Regional were in no way related to Bedford Capitol becoming an investment partner. Whenever we make changes to ACANA we are trying to get closer to our mandate of creating Biologically Appropriate Pet foods from Fresh, Regional Ingredients.

With that in mind, the first change made in every diet was to increase the total FRESH meat content. Fresh meat (no preservatives, never frozen) now makes up to 30% of the total diet, and a Fresh meat is now the first ingredient listed in each Regional diet! For example, in our ACANA Wild Prairie diet the first five ingredients now shows deboned chicken, chicken meal, green peas, turkey meal and chicken liver oil.

To focus more specifically on the Region that inspires our diets, we’ve tweaked our ingredient list. Again using Wild Prairie as an example, we’ve removed the fish meal (salt water fish) from the diet as salt water fish would not be found on a Prairie.

We have decreased the potato content in our diets, and introduced lentils and field beans as low glycemic alternatives. These new ingredients help to moderate the glycemic numbers of the Regionals diets.
brandon