Lead posoning

zigzag

Lead posoning

Post by zigzag » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:00 pm

I came home to find my dog chewing on a lead fishing weight. The dog had the run of the backyard while I was at work, the lead weight is not one of mine I never use this kind of fishing wght. He chewed it preety good on bolth ends. Should I be concerned?

jwnissen

Re: Lead posoning

Post by jwnissen » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:13 pm

You should try to guestimate how much he ate and contact a vet. A lot depends on the size of the dog and how much he ate. I would call immediately, if you wait till tomorrow it could be too late. If its bad, the vet can at least give him something to neutralize/throw it up.

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:16 pm

It's hard to say it was a sinker like 4oz he chewed the tips lots of teeth
Marks on bolth ends. How it ended up in the yard I don't know. Is there a way to induce vomiting at home?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:18 pm

zigzag wrote:I came home to find my dog chewing on a lead fishing weight. The dog had the run of the backyard while I was at work, the lead weight is not one of mine I never use this kind of fishing wght. He chewed it preety good on bolth ends. Should I be concerned?
I wouldn't worry about it. Just a few year ago we didn't know lead could even be a problem. O know quite a few dogs that had a lot more lead in their body than what she could have chewed off of the weight.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:13 am

zigzag wrote:It's hard to say it was a sinker like 4oz he chewed the tips lots of teeth
Marks on bolth ends. How it ended up in the yard I don't know. Is there a way to induce vomiting at home?
Just an FYI, but you can use hydrogen peroxide to induce immediate vomiting. It doesn't take much.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:43 am

RoostersMom wrote:
zigzag wrote:It's hard to say it was a sinker like 4oz he chewed the tips lots of teeth
Just an FYI, but you can use hydrogen peroxide to induce immediate vomiting. It doesn't take much.

if you think he just swallowed it, use hydro or epacat syrup thing.
if not,like ezzy said ,he will be fine.
i would not be worried .