Docking GSP's at 3 Months?

FullExposureOutdoors

Docking GSP's at 3 Months?

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:05 pm

I just got two full breed GSP Puppies! One of them is named Toby and one of them is named Rusty! I've began on the obedience training but I have more of a health question. When I got my puppies their dew claws and tails were not docked when they were born. I'm paying for the DNA Test to clarify the parentage and get the puppies papered. The puppies breeders only have two GSP males and a female so we know they are full blood but they were not able to guarantee which male they were from.

I would like to get the tails docked (amputated for you bleeding hearts that are going to crucify me). I'm not sure about the dew claws because I have mixed feelings on these. I'm not doing it for the look. I'm doing it for the safety of the dog and to prevent tail injuries in the future when we begin to hunt. Also I've been told they have to be docked in order to register them?? Not sure if that part is true because I can't find that online anywhere.

Obviously I'm going to need to take them to the vet in order to get this done. I'm not cruel enough to just rubberband them and let them go through that pain. I want to make the best decision for my puppies. A little pain now to save them pain for the next 10 years and keep them healthy is worth it too me. I just want to know everyone's thoughts on this and if I'm making the right decision from an owners stand point?

gotpointers

Re: Docking GSP's at 3 Months?

Post by gotpointers » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:31 pm

Keyword "do the dew" on the search box on the GDF header page. That may give you more insight on the dewclaws. Jurys still out for many. The registration and tail it just depends on if you are going to breed and compete with your dog. If you are just hunting it doesent matter if your dog i is pink or green and has only three legs, finding birds is all that matters.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:51 pm

Tail length doesn't matter at all for registration or any form of competition except for the prejudice for type. Docking at three months is unadvisable. If they haven't been done as a newborn, then wait until the dog is physically mature because you are severing the spinal cord and any neurological effects will be less detrimental if growth is complete. A shorthair is no more likely to injure his tail than is a typically undocked breed, so doing it for the sake of preventing injury is unnecessary.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

FullExposureOutdoors

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:58 pm

Thanks guys, love the quick response and advice. I did find the Do the Dew page and I'm reading it now. Like I said I just want to do whats best for my dogs. I'm going to put money in them to make them safe, happy, and healthy so I want to make the best decisions to benefit them for their lifetime.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:47 am

Tails are nice for long grass..... :D

Any pics?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:05 am

Unless the dews are really hanging, I'd leave them. The tail.....I'd probably leave it too. I did have a GSP with a full tail. She did get it bloody at the end like my EP's do. However, she had more hair on it than the Pointers, so it wasn't as bad. She did not however, keep the tail up in the field - half mast was about all there was to her tail set. I wasn't going to amputate a 12 week old dog's tail, so I lived with it. No major heartbreak, she hunted in 5 states throughout her life and retrieved more pheasants than any other dog I've owned. She also could clear a coffee table and dust all at the same time.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:11 am

You will have a hard time finding a vet to do tails at 3 months for cosmetics. Dont worry about the tail - its too late. I am not sure I would mess with full registration if it were me either since doesnt sound like the litter was planned and thought out. An ILP AKC number will still let you do obedience and trials and hunt tests without the DNA testing expence. Unless you plan to show (of course the tails would knock you out there unless it was an import) or you plan to breed later which will require a lot pf proving and health testing especially giving the puppies situation.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:16 am

If you do have a happy tailed dog that gets a beat up tail all the time you can talk with you vet about docking later if you absulutly need it. 3 months or 3 years is the same to the dog at this point.

FullExposureOutdoors

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks everyone, sounds good. I did some searches but there was a lot of non-hunters chiming in, sounds like everyone has pretty much the same opinion.
I'll get the shots done and hope they don't get injured, I'll get some pics up later as well so you can see them.

Good thing about their vet is he is also a hunter and raises GSP's I didn't know that until today but he has pretty much said the same thing you guys have said. The tails are no big deal but that he would look at the dew claws when I bring them in Wednesday to determine if they need to go.

Thanks again everyone!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:45 am

I like the tails done for appearance...I would wait til after 6 months old and it is a simple surgery, hav done several. I would not worry about dew claws.
brenda