Oozing sores after running dog?

High Brass

Oozing sores after running dog?

Post by High Brass » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:50 pm

My Dad and I ran three setters on Sunday. As soon as we got home I washed my dog with warm water and oatmeal shampoo as I always do. By Tuesday evening I began to notice an occasional red raised area on her chest. By Wednesday evening the areas began to drain a small amount of fowl smelling clear liquid. Thursday I began noticing a few more on top of her head. Tonight when I got home from work the top of her head and between her eyes is covered with red raised oozing scabs as well an occasional area on the side of her rib cage and chest. She is not itching or licking any of the infected areas but she seems to be having some discomfort when I touch them. None of the other setters have been affected in this way. She is currently on Frontline. Any ideas?
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

steamer

Re: Oozing sores after running dog?

Post by steamer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:50 pm

sounds like things have turned from bad to worse pretty fast . i think i would bite the bullet and pay the e vet fee and get the dog in asap. it kind of sounds like some kind of staph. hope your dog is ok good luck

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Somethings not right, and you don't know what it is. Thats what a vet is for.
Good luck.
Steve

frosso

Post by frosso » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:26 pm

SetterNut wrote:Somethings not right, and you don't know what it is. Thats what a vet is for.
Good luck.
Agree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 pm

I thought staph too.

I had an episode a couple years ago with one of my dogs, that had a hive like reaction to her face. We don't know the cause, but suspect a possible lepto vaccination given about 14 hours prior to a hunt, put stress on her system. The hives turned into crusted areas, and my vet felt it was some kind of allergic reaction with secondary staph. Her's was confined to just her muzzle though.

I have friends too that have hunted through fresh mowed areas, whose dogs ended up with bad belly and armpit rashes, either from some of the juicy cut vegetation or from some of the course stick like vegetation that is left after mowing.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:37 am

+1 on vet, sometimes you can never be too safe!

Corry

rinker

Post by rinker » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:31 pm

I hope that your dog gets better.

I can't believe, however, that you shampoo your dog after every run. I have five dogs here and they have been shampoo'd a grand total of zero times.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Any update on the dog?

Corry

High Brass

Post by High Brass » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 am

I took Holly to the vet yesterday and turns out it was a staph infection. He thinks that it began from a small abrasion on her muzzle which allowed her own staph to be introduced into her system. She is to be on 500 mg of Cefuroxime daily for three weeks initialy but may need to be continued for up to six weeks. Vet states staph can be difficult to get rid of and reoccurrence is common but as she ages and her immune system fully developes she may not be as susceptible to get it. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels