Getting enough to eat?

cptn

Getting enough to eat?

Post by cptn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:48 am

I feed my 5 month old Britt puppy 2.5 to 3 cups (if he is especially active that day) of feed daily. He gets 20 minutes to eat twice a day, and he knows it so when I put the bowl down, he immediately begins chowing down until he's licking the bowl clean.

Lately, though, he's starting to eat very little. He acts excited to eat when I put the bowl down, but he doesn't finish his bowls like he used to. So, for the past few days, he's only been eating maybe
1- 1.5 cup for the whole day, which isn't enough for his growing body I don't think.

My roommate thinks he's sick of the same food, but he's loved this food since he was 7 weeks. Or happily ate it, anyway. My guess is that he is that he has just started losing a lot of teeth in the past week and the dry kibble is cutting into his teeth and sore gums. Is that normal?

I tried putting a little water in the kibble, but he acted like he didn't want it. Should I just keep him on the kibble and maybe this episode will end quickly? I hear that sudden changes to wet feed will cause diarrhea. I don't want him to lose water and not eat, haha! Any suggestions?
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

Ghosted3

Re: Getting enough to eat?

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:22 pm

All tummies are not the same, but as a general rule changing things up from dry to wet can cause the runs. As far as the teeth are concerned, does your brit still play with toys as much, or has that slacked too. Anything associated with retrieving, chewing, anything like that slowed down? If it has I would bet on that, and just wait it out and hope the tenderness goes away soon.

Corry

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:35 pm

cptn wrote:I feed my 5 month old Britt puppy 2.5 to 3 cups (if he is especially active that day) of feed daily. He gets 20 minutes to eat twice a day, and he knows it so when I put the bowl down, he immediately begins chowing down until he's licking the bowl clean.

Lately, though, he's starting to eat very little. He acts excited to eat when I put the bowl down, but he doesn't finish his bowls like he used to. So, for the past few days, he's only been eating maybe
1- 1.5 cup for the whole day, which isn't enough for his growing body I don't think.

My roommate thinks he's sick of the same food, but he's loved this food since he was 7 weeks. Or happily ate it, anyway. My guess is that he is that he has just started losing a lot of teeth in the past week and the dry kibble is cutting into his teeth and sore gums. Is that normal?

I tried putting a little water in the kibble, but he acted like he didn't want it. Should I just keep him on the kibble and maybe this episode will end quickly? I hear that sudden changes to wet feed will cause diarrhea. I don't want him to lose water and not eat, haha! Any suggestions?
It is normal and noi need to worry about the pup not liking or not eating enough. Dogs are like every other animal including us and are not as hungry sometimes as others plus the tooth thing is probably what is going on. Animals do not get tired of a feed and want change, that is the formula for causing problems. He will be fine.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:06 pm

While they may not "get tired" of it, I know my dog certainly has types she likes and types she doesn't. When I first got her, I had to try different chow because the breeder used a local brand that we don't have. It took me two or three brands to find one that she liked (for those she didn't I would supplement the flavor with a little fish oil). And yes, every time we switched bags, unhappy tummy for a couple of days.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:49 pm

Qwernt wrote:While they may not "get tired" of it, I know my dog certainly has types she likes and types she doesn't. When I first got her, I had to try different chow because the breeder used a local brand that we don't have. It took me two or three brands to find one that she liked (for those she didn't I would supplement the flavor with a little fish oil). And yes, every time we switched bags, unhappy tummy for a couple of days.
My only concern is I think I just saw a post that your pup looked like a pig. That often is because you think the pup didn't like the feeds it was eating and you find something it will over eat on. My experience is there are very few if any feeds a dog will not eat enough of when it is hungry, even if we think they should be eating more.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.