Dandruff

Rmgariador

Dandruff

Post by Rmgariador » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:06 am

My 9 week old Gsp has a lot of dandruff I just use main and tail shampoo any recommendations to stop this?
YEP!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Dandruff

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Rmgariador wrote:My 9 week old Gsp has a lot of dandruff I just use main and tail shampoo any recommendations to stop this?
One of the main causes of dandruff is shampoo bathes that dry the skin. Ny dogs are 8 and 6 years old and have only had a couple of bathes and in every case it was because of some external factor that made it necessary.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:31 pm

If you are someone who likes to wash the pup or full grown dog on a regular basis you have to be sure you spend some extra time rinsing everything out. Make sure everything is all rinsed out then rinse some more and helps to avoid some of the dandruff.

Corry

Rmgariador

Dandruff

Post by Rmgariador » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:51 pm

He has only had one bath one so maybe it's something else
YEP!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Rmgariador wrote:He has only had one bath one so maybe it's something else
How long did the dandruff start after the bath? Was the pup ever into anything that could have caused skin irritation? Have you ever used some of the over the counter "deodorizer" spray?

Rmgariador

Dandruff

Post by Rmgariador » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:18 pm

It started before the bath that's why I gave him one I don't think he got into anything but do you think it could be change of environment?
YEP!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Some dogs have dry skin just like people. Use an oatmeal based shampoo. Where we train/run there are swamps and marshes etc. Dogs live in the house so need a bath every week.

PS Just discovered a shampoo made for dogs on ADVANTAGE . On the label it says, " will not impact Advantage , Frontline , Biospot and other Spot on flea products.

soap free
natural oatmeal enriched
naturally green

TROPICLEAN ( available in "natural food" pet stores.
20ml/$15.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Savage Destiny

Post by Savage Destiny » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Rmgariador wrote:My 9 week old Gsp has a lot of dandruff I just use main and tail shampoo any recommendations to stop this?
One of the main causes of dandruff is shampoo bathes that dry the skin. Ny dogs are 8 and 6 years old and have only had a couple of bathes and in every case it was because of some external factor that made it necessary.

Ezzy
A natural shampoo will not dry the skin. A chemical based one with lanolin or sulfates sure as heck will, but a natural shampoo won't. I bathe my own personal dogs weekly without any issues. I also have many grooming clients that I groom weekly or bi-weekly, and those dogs have by far the healthiest skin and coat of any dogs I groom. It is usually the dogs that rarely get bathed which have dandruff, itchy skin, etc. Not saying everyone has to wash their dogs all the time, but a good shampoo certainly will not cause dry skin!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:28 am

I have found in the past that a change of diet can often improve the dog's coat/dandruff issues.

dxthunter86

Post by dxthunter86 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:17 am

Start brushing your dog on a regular basis. Ive heard it gets their oils worked back up and helps with dry skin. My 5 month old gsp loves it also.

Gneiss Dog

Post by Gneiss Dog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:36 pm

May be related to food as mentioned above. You might look at adding fish oil to diet in my case seems to improve coat . I think in previous post you had just got the pup are you on same feed as breeder? Did dandruf start after changing to your food?
Good luck.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:29 am

Best thing you can ever do for a coat, bar none, is brush it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:49 am

Gneiss Dog wrote:May be related to food as mentioned above. You might look at adding fish oil to diet in my case seems to improve coat . I think in previous post you had just got the pup are you on same feed as breeder? Did dandruf start after changing to your food?
Good luck.
Fish oil is a good idea, but even better is Tuna Oil. This is primarily due to the higher DHA content of Tuna Oil compared to regular Fish Oil.
DHA markedly improves brain, retina and auditory nerves.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:34 am

I have also seen lice present like this and the pups don't itch much at all. Cheyletiella is also known as "Walking Dandruff" Google an image of it to compare for the heck of it.